Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

NEW to autocross Tires

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW to autocross Tires

i plan on doing my first autocross events this year and i want a good tire to use out there but also needs to be able to be daily driven on and not crazy expensive either....anyone have suggestions?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kekek
Dunlop Direzza Star Spec.
+1 on that recommendation
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

I'm currently running star specs, but the RS3 hankooks look pretty nice and are priced well
Old Dec 30, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

The Star Specs are a great tire. I have noticed on the hotter days that they tend to get "greasy..." though. The Kumho Escta XS seem to be great for the hotter temps but lack the grip you get with the star specs in the colder temps. They both have a similar tread wear rating and both are very competitive.

To each their own.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

I run NT05's and really like them, my buddy runs Star Specs and they do tend to bite a little sooner than the Nitto's. It is really hard to say though, talk to Smikevo he has a great deal of tire track/autocross experience.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Dunlops are freakin' awesome street tires. Not the most expensive either. They drive like a R-comp but have some wear life. I loved them on my STU car.

The only other tire I would suggest, would be the Bridgestone RE-11. They are slower and less fun to drive (opinions), but on a car that is a daily driver, they are extremely quiet on the highway. I couldn't believe how nice they are to drive.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Z1 star specs. great tire, decent tread life, a little noisy on the highway. re-11s are awesome tires as well. more expensive, and tend to get a little more "greasy" faster after a few laps. those are the only tires i have experience with but there are a ton more options out there.

again, PM smike, hes the tire/suspension guru he'll throw u some good advice. gl and cheers
Old Dec 30, 2010, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

The dunlop direzza z1 star spec is likely the most popular street tire amongst the philly area autox groups. They are the best value compared to the re-11 and the ad-08. The dunlop probably isn't the best tire in that group, but all three are very close. The Hankook R-S3 is also a more affordable option compared to the re-11 and ad-08.

If you've never done an AutoX before, you may want to consider running your current tires. You will likely improve you driving faster if you learn to max out your allseason (I assume?) tires first. Sticky tires hide a lot of mistakes.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Star Specs. What an improvement over the DZ101 tires I was running earlier in the year.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
While you do not need new tires for your first AX. Z1*, RS3, et al. are great street tire class tires.

For your first AX, I would just go out and run. You have power mods and stock suspension. Car is going to push and plow. I would set front tire pressure to 32, rear to 34.

Learn how to drive, grab an instructor (if there is another Evo guy in SM or BSP), ask questions, read the setup threads here, get into the sport.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

toyo r1r's
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I do not recommend r-comps to a new to AX driver. You will not become a better driver. You will be tricked into thinking you can drive. But those r-comps are letting you get away with many mistakes.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

100% agree with Smike on this one. 1st time out get used to the car and how it reacts. Remember in slow out fast. If you feel your car understeering like crazy and your tires screaming as it pushes through the turn and think its because you have bad tires... its not the tires its you The first few races in Autox you will TORCH your tires because you dont know how to drive yet (i mean that nicely)

Get some seat time, grab an instructor and learn the maneuvers and the lines though the obstacles, get a feel for the car and destroy the tires your on now. Then when they are shot grab a set of good tires. I personally use z1 star specs (255/35/18 on a 9" rim). I highly recommend not getting R comps for your 1st or 2nd season of racing. Our cars are very competitive and you would be suppressed what a Street tire can do. R comps will hide a lot of your driving errors, you will learn a lot more with street tires. Plus R comps can be extremely dangerous on a stock suspension. Ive seen cars kartwheel on R comps because the driver spun out and the tires grabbed. Stick with Streets and learn how to race in autocross first
Old Jan 3, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

I concur, as someone that is on his 2nd season of autocross in STX, destroy the tires you have now and pick up a cheap set towards the end of the season. You'll just be throwing 800 dollars away for a set of tires that will make all of 5 events. Learn from my mistake... And after say 10 events or more, then go drop some bills.

Quick Reply: NEW to autocross Tires