Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Discussion: ST2 vs PTA vs...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bueller
Ive thought about E85 since i took the step to start racing. I havent taken the time to investigate, but the one obstacle i would need to figure out is how much E85 i would need to finish a 45min race. And from what ive seen thus far, the OEM tank is too small. If i have the money and time, that would be something id like to try someday. And that obviously means id need a fuel cell. But the other obstacle would be to figure out how to transport enough E85 every time i go race. Whatever it is, id imagine that id need a lot of E85.
Even though I am following all state/federal rules and regulations, people still give me flak for these:

Even though they weren't going anywhere, I put straps across the top so people would shut up about how they were going to "flip out the top."

* Thus far there have been a good 2 test/tune days right before Nationals. And theres probably 1-2 other warmup sessions other than what ive listed. Furthermore, some racers supersize by competing in TT also.
I never thought about how many different sessions there are at Nationals. How long are the qualifying races? I'll need to do some recalculating myself. My barrels may not be enough!

I've never looked at any schedules from Nationals, but how hectic would it be to supersize and do TT as well?

Originally Posted by JDavenport
Interesting reading all this. I am about to start my second full year of HPDE's and hope to possibly try some TT competition in 2012. I have studied the goings on in the TTA and TTS ranks here in NASA-SE. Nunally and Perkins pretty much dominate NASA-SE TTA in their Vettes. One place they really are nearly untouchable is Road Atlanta which plays very well to the Vette's best qualitites.
If only Greg G. would give me a better reclass instead of 10:1* in TTA then I might be able to compete with those guys. I keep about the same distance from Mark and Scott allll around VIR except for the straights. There's just nothing I can do against that sheer power. Plus they're much better off aerodynamically.

Because of some stuff I did early on with my Evo, I would have to spend $$$ to get it properly set up for TTA. Like my transmission. Before I ever started this HPDE madness I had my tranny rebuilt due to poor shifting issues. While it was out I had the Evo 8 3-4-5 gears installed. Now that is 3 points that really gets me nothing. I have a JDM rear bumper which will get me dinged on rear diffuser points. So to make my IX a smart TTA machine (Like Nate's) I am looking at $$ to de-mod.
Ouch, yeah those two things kill you. Maybe you could find someone to trade transmissions with. People looove the JDM rear bumper, you could easily trade that for an USDM + cash.

But, if you look at TTS in NASA-SE, it is usually a slower field than TTA. At RA in Dec a 1'36 got second place in TTS but wouldn't make top 3 in TTA. I think there are probably more people in TTS running cars that have not been built from the get-go at a TTA spec car but still want to go out and give it a try.
That's because Mark and crew have tried all sorts of things in TTA. I haven't even seen a well prep'd TTS car in the Mid-Atlantic in awhile.

That said, I'll probably give TTS a try to start with next year.

I am highly debating looking for a well-used Evo 8 in a couple of years, stripping it down and building a purpose built TTB machine. Since the 8 starts as TTC* (iirc) I think it could be turned into a top flight TTB machine.
Go for the Hoosier contingency in TTS. If you do well, it'll save you some serious coin. And, like you said, the SpecZ06's in TTA are pretty untouchable at RA.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
3480 post race for Marty I think; in the neighborhood of 330whp roughly.
Yeah, he's very limited and nothing is apples-to-apples but I was just trying to give a reference point. Marty has run < 2:10's at VIR and in my first trip there in TTB spec I ran 2:11's in 103 degree heat.

Bump/Steer kit (2pts):
http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/w...it-KCA388.html

You could do it. I've got a 4pt rollbar (60lbs I think) and I weighed 3190 at my last event after a TT session - so that's with low fuel and driver. I've still got ALL stock glass, 100% of my door guts, stock headlights, etc. And that's before you think about CF doors or roof. Might not be cheap; but it's been done.
Interesting, that's only 0.005 off from the power/weight I was running this year. I figured it would be a lot worse with that much weight. What brand/model/size tires does he run in T2? Could say T2 translates over to TTA better than TTS/ST-2.

Ah, but what about your control arms when they're pointing to the sky when you lower the front?

Very doable then. I think that's the setup to have. Lol why am I still building an STi.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
For e85 it'll depend on the course and what percent of the lap your at 100% throttle. For a track like Roebling Road, 2.something mile, I use about 1/4 tank of e85 for 25 mins so figure 1/2 tank or roughly 7.5 gallons for 45mins. For tracks like Sebring or Homestead with numerous straights, I use just over 3/4 of a tank in a session going 9/10's or above, so figure 9-10 gallons for 25 mins, 35 mins you'd be ok as some have done it already but you better have a surge tank. 45mins, not going to happen unless your surge tank is around 2-5 gallons. This is part of what i've been debating. Due to the semi-unlimited status of ST2/TTS, I've been thinking of running a 4-12 gallon "well cell" or a 2-4 gallon custom surge tank to get me those few extra miles. Granted a full fuel cell would be ideal, esp 20-25 gallons, but your looking at every bit of $3000+ wholesale, to do it right. But in doing so, you'd also take advantage of removing all that thick *** steel in the rear of the car if you set it up like TA-X right over the rear axel. Also a cell'd car would have greater resell value since most of these other series require it.

I like your trailer setup for fuel, I had a truck toolbox there until recently, it's a little foobar since last I dropped the trailer off at night, took a taillight and some paint with it, didn't even feel or hear it lol. Right now i'm taking 5-5 gallon jugs with me, i'd have to increase this to 9+ to do a supersize or nationals. Drums would be sweet. 110 gallons I think would be just enough, figure 30-40 gallons per day. One day these tracks may wakeup and sell e85, but I doubt it unless Sonoco starts selling it.

Last edited by Balrok; Jan 27, 2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSP608
Interesting, that's only 0.005 off from the power/weight I was running this year. I figured it would be a lot worse with that much weight. What brand/model/size tires does he run in T2? Could say T2 translates over to TTA better than TTS/ST-2.

Ah, but what about your control arms when they're pointing to the sky when you lower the front?

Very doable then. I think that's the setup to have. Lol why am I still building an STi.
That's why my isn't lowered much - I don't run any fancy suspension bits. I think a few years back when I ran a lower ride height that was an issue with severe understeer that I had - I've since dumped that suspension (hated it).

Marty's SCCA T2 car is basically a full weight caged street car, tuned on 100oct, running JRZ's and Hoosiers. That's the SCCA T1/T2/T3 type of rules as I understand them.
They keep changing the Evo rules between 8-9" rims, 245-275 tires, swaybars and spring rates. Imagine that huge PITA of a ruleset!

In case you missed it (re: classing), this was based more on power/weight ratio's as every series has their unique rulesets that severly cloud things up:
For reference- It's not perfect but:
  • SCCA T1 cars convert over to NASA TTU/ST1 (think Corvettes)
  • SCCA T2 cars convert over to NASA TTS/ST2 (think Evo's)

Last edited by boomn29; Jan 27, 2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

I never thought about how many different sessions there are at Nationals. How long are the qualifying races? I'll need to do some recalculating myself. My barrels may not be enough!

I've never looked at any schedules from Nationals, but how hectic would it be to supersize and do TT as well?
The qualifying races were 25min each. How hectic Nationals gets really depends on what sort of challenges decide to show up for you. NASA does try to accommodate the schedule so people can supersize, but either way youre going to have your hands full. I have my 2010 Nationals schedule somewhere. I can post it to give you guys some sort of an idea, but its going to vary from one year to the next. I found the schedule:

- 2010 National Championship Schedule

Originally Posted by Balrok
For e85 it'll depend on the course and what percent of the lap your at 100% throttle. For a track like Roebling Road, 2.something mile, I use about 1/4 tank of e85 for 25 mins so figure 1/2 tank or roughly 7.5 gallons for 45mins. For tracks like Sebring or Homestead with numerous straights, I use just over 3/4 of a tank in a session going 9/10's or above, so figure 9-10 gallons for 25 mins, 35 mins you'd be ok as some have done it already but you better have a surge tank. 45mins, not going to happen unless your surge tank is around 2-5 gallons. This is part of what i've been debating. Due to the semi-unlimited status of ST2/TTS, I've been thinking of running a 4-12 gallon "well cell" or a 2-4 gallon custom surge tank to get me those few extra miles. Granted a full fuel cell would be ideal, esp 20-25 gallons, but your looking at every bit of $3000+ wholesale, to do it right. But in doing so, you'd also take advantage of removing all that thick *** steel in the rear of the car if you set it up like TA-X right over the rear axel. Also a cell'd car would have greater resell value since most of these other series require it.

I like your trailer setup for fuel, I had a truck toolbox there until recently, it's a little foobar since last I dropped the trailer off at night, took a taillight and some paint with it, didn't even feel or hear it lol. Right now i'm taking 5-5 gallon jugs with me, i'd have to increase this to 9+ to do a supersize or nationals. Drums would be sweet. 110 gallons I think would be just enough, figure 30-40 gallons per day. One day these tracks may wakeup and sell e85, but I doubt it unless Sonoco starts selling it.
If im not mistaken, MMP had E85 at the track during Nationals. Ill find out and let you guys know for sure. However, even if the track carries the fuel you run, its in your best interest to bring some of your own because you never know. Here is one major example of what has gone wrong. At Nationals this past year, something went wrong with the system that operates the pumps at MMP. The pumps were non-operational, iirc, for about 1-2hrs. It may have been more though. That was not a fun situation.

Last edited by Bueller; Jan 27, 2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

.... However, even if the track carries the fuel you run, its in your best interest to bring some of your own because you never know. Here is one major example of what has gone wrong. At Nationals this past year, something went wrong with the system that operates the pumps at MMP. The pumps were non-operational, iirc, for about 1-2hrs. It may have been more though. That was not a fun situation.
Agreed - bring your own.

E85 varies so much from station to station and state to state. That's really the main reason holding myself and a lot of others back I think. That variance can be remedied by bringing your own; ya just have to figure out a safe way to haul it all like it was mentioned.

Nearly all tracks have 100oct or 104oct unleaded - some I don't like the looks/condition of the tank as their above ground and pretty old looking. Personal preference...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

That's why my isn't lowered much - I don't run any fancy suspension bits. I think a few years back when I ran a lower ride height that was an issue with severe understeer that I had - I've since dumped that suspension (hated it).

Marty's SCCA T2 car is basically a full weight caged street car, tuned on 100oct, running JRZ's and Hoosiers. That's the SCCA T1/T2/T3 type of rules as I understand them.
They keep changing the Evo rules between 8-9" rims, 245-275 tires, swaybars and spring rates. Imagine that huge PITA of a ruleset!

In case you missed it (re: classing), this was based more on power/weight ratio's as every series has their unique rulesets that severly cloud things up:
What suspension was it? Can you PM me if you don't want to say on here. I have a friend looking into building his Evo for autox/track duty.

Doesn't sound tooo bad, since those changes are pretty easy to make. Although it would certainly get annoying if they kept going back and forth.

In Marty's case for T2, he's at a power/weight that's TTB/PTB legal so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

The qualifying races were 25min each. How hectic Nationals gets really depends on what sort of challenges decide to show up for you. NASA does try to accommodate the schedule so people can supersize, but either way youre going to have your hands full.
How does it work for TT? I see there are 4 days of sessions. Is it your fastest time overall or for each day?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

What suspension was it? Can you PM me if you don't want to say on here. I have a friend looking into building his Evo for autox/track duty.

Doesn't sound tooo bad, since those changes are pretty easy to make. Although it would certainly get annoying if they kept going back and forth.

In Marty's case for T2, he's at a power/weight that's TTB/PTB legal so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

How does it work for TT? I see there are 4 days of sessions. Is it your fastest time overall or for each day?
I'll be forthcoming - PIC coilovers. They only had a 7" spring with no helper or perch. Rates were pretty high too. They've since revamped their offerings and springrates; so no idea what they sell now.

For Marty (SCCA T2) - think of how annoying banning all your 9" rims when you just bought 3 sets! Or all your 275 tires when you've already invested $1200/set.

Right now, it's the single best lap you run. Period. There's whiners wanting to average the best lap per day and stuff like that.

Last edited by boomn29; Jan 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:23 AM

There are several E85 stations near Mid-Ohio so that saves me from having to haul it this year.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll be low on power w/o cams if you start with an VIII. The IX turbo is so much better. Then the fact you start in TTC you start with a smaller base tire so larger tires cost more upgrade pts. Keep that in mind...

But yeah, an Evo can do helli-good in TTB. I've had a lot of success there; just ready to develop the car more so I've bumped up to TTA.
Since the TTB is the 10-1 ratios, I would think you can approach that on an 8 turbo without too much fuss. I agree that for TTA you will never get close to the 8.7-1 with the 8 turbo.

The 8 starts with the * (7 points) and the 5 point turbo penalty. So you have 26 points to spend and still stay in TTB.

EDDIT: Crap, nevermind. The 8 is TTC** not one *, that extra 7 points is a killer.

Last edited by JDavenport; Jan 27, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Right now, it's the single best lap you run. Period. There's whiners wanting to average the best lap per day and stuff like that.
Like Nate said, at Nationals, what counts is your fastest time overall.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:58 AM

Like Nate said, at Nationals, what counts is your fastest time overall.
Which in my opinion is crap. There are 8 TT sessions at Nationals, I have proposed some kind of average of best 3 laps or something but it was "politely" rejected. For 1 lap to determine a national champion, thats crazy!
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Well that's what TT is all about. If you want to gauge and compete for consistency, reliability, or performance under all conditions, etc. then one should be doing something other than TT. TT is to show what a car/driver combo is capable of on the "perfect lap".

I do agree that 8 sessions is too many, though. How about 4 scored sessions and 4 practice/qualifying sessions to set your starting spot?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
...I do agree that 8 sessions is too many, though. How about 4 scored sessions and 4 practice/qualifying sessions to set your starting spot?
8 sessions may seem a lot, but it really isnt. I cant imagine anyone that would want that proposition. The main argument is that people want the most track time they can get. People dont want to go all the way out to Nationals for 4 scored sessions. Besides, if you have any sort of issues with your car, you may not have enough time to set any decent times with 4 sessions. And since its Nationals, people for the most part want to have as much of an opportunity that they can. You have to remember, some people are traveling +2500 miles to get there. And its once a year. A lot of money, time, and hard work goes into it. Furthermore, the guys who will be supersizing will end up getting screwed also. Because chances are theyre going to miss a few sessions due to their races. And if people decide to not supersize due to lack of timed sessions, NASA will lose money on those entry fees.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I know you have been around the road racing world much longer than have I. I'm just getting into it and wanted to offer my opinion. I'm sure my opinion may change as I get more into TT and talk with more racers. As far as folks wanting to get as much track time as possible - well, that's what track days are for. Heck - at Solo2 Nationals people travel just as far for only SIX 50-60 second runs. You have to put up your best lap in only 3 tries per course. I think four timed 20-30 minute TT sessions should be enough, with the rest for tuning/qualifying/practice. For head to head race groups - it all comes down to just ONE session doesn't it?

Quick Reply: Discussion: ST2 vs PTA vs...