Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sno* Drift Rally Photo Dump

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
And then other factors;I got beaten by a SRT 4 in Tennessee with a 5 times Rally champion in the seat... but with a not so impressive driving, at least.
He sometimes dont even turned a right way. But still he destroyed me and others.
WHy ? first of, his car was at least 400 lbs lighter. Then comes the tricks. HE has a yellow engine /most likely kit/ , which basically is made for him only by Dodge USA... So much for playing by rules huh? Rumors: it has 400 hp and well over tq then that. Besides each gears has different boos level, factory build , and so on so forth... I dont think i should feel a shame to lost from him even with that driving, you should see that car taken off... talking about FWD.
Isn't Rally TN a tarmac event? If so, all bets are off and there's absolutely no shame in getting beat by a 2wd car. 2wd cars don't run a restrictor, so at "unlimited traction" events, 2wd cars can make use of boatloads of power.

The only stage rally I've ever run (in my Mazda 323GTX) was Rally Idaho. It was a tarmac event, and I too got waxed by one of the ex-factory SRT-4s. I had to run a restrictor and my car stopped pulling at ~105mph. The SRT-4 and FWD Eclipse turbo in attendance were hitting 135mph on some of the longer straights because they didn't have that restrictor. On the tighter stages I was close, even winning one overall, but ended up finishing well behind those guys because of time I lost on the fast stages.

I still maintain that on a low grip surface, an AWD car should spank the FWD cars all else being equal. I do certainly realize the difference tire choice can play on the results, so maybe that's what's going on there. I'd honestly expect anyone running in the national event to not run into tire choice problems. If I were to run SnoDrift, I'd show up with a set of tractionized Bridgestone Blizzaks, Yokohama A-034s, Michelin C5s, and probably a set of BFG gravel tires too...damn, this is getting costly!

Dave
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK
Isn't Rally TN a tarmac event? If so, all bets are off and there's absolutely no shame in getting beat by a 2wd car. 2wd cars don't run a restrictor, so at "unlimited traction" events, 2wd cars can make use of boatloads of power.

The only stage rally I've ever run (in my Mazda 323GTX) was Rally Idaho. It was a tarmac event, and I too got waxed by one of the ex-factory SRT-4s. I had to run a restrictor and my car stopped pulling at ~105mph. The SRT-4 and FWD Eclipse turbo in attendance were hitting 135mph on some of the longer straights because they didn't have that restrictor. On the tighter stages I was close, even winning one overall, but ended up finishing well behind those guys because of time I lost on the fast stages.

I still maintain that on a low grip surface, an AWD car should spank the FWD cars all else being equal. I do certainly realize the difference tire choice can play on the results, so maybe that's what's going on there. I'd honestly expect anyone running in the national event to not run into tire choice problems. If I were to run SnoDrift, I'd show up with a set of tractionized Bridgestone Blizzaks, Yokohama A-034s, Michelin C5s, and probably a set of BFG gravel tires too...damn, this is getting costly!

Dave

no you right the AWD should have been faster in loose . That is fact , but only i try to say the experience and co driving also can give two more wheel to the 2 wheel drive at least.
Also so far i never run rally tires yet LOL so i paid the price for it down in Tennessee...
i got aggrivated the FWD rule in Tennessee and i started to push as much as i can , immediately/3 miles in/ i drove the tire off from my wheel. So there is a weight in AWD also which doesnt punish the FWD. Anyway i think you can say that the AWD guys should over run the 2wheel guys, but sometimes not happening and not because of lacking of talent.

I think ...
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:36 AM

great pics looks like fun.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Anyway i think you can say that the AWD guys should over run the 2wheel guys, but sometimes not happening and not because of lacking of talent.

I think ...
I agree on the first part, but most of the time (assuming no crashes or mechanical issues), its related to "fast driver/slow car" vs. "fast car/not so fast driver." There was an event on gravel last year where I remember seeing footage of Josh Wimpey in a 20+ year old VW golf catching a guy in an Evo IX or X out on stage. Josh was getting every last second of speed out of that car...the evo, not so much.

I'll be the first to admit its easier to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car fast. Moving from the GTX to the Evo certainly took some getting used to, and I still feel like I'm leaving time out on the course that the car is capable of finding...but seat time is so expensive in an AWD car that its hard to get enough seat time to truely push the car hard.

Dave
Old Jan 31, 2011, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

I agree on the first part, but most of the time (assuming no crashes or mechanical issues), its related to "fast driver/slow car" vs. "fast car/not so fast driver." There was an event on gravel last year where I remember seeing footage of Josh Wimpey in a 20+ year old VW golf catching a guy in an Evo IX or X out on stage. Josh was getting every last second of speed out of that car...the evo, not so much.

I'll be the first to admit its easier to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car fast. Moving from the GTX to the Evo certainly took some getting used to, and I still feel like I'm leaving time out on the course that the car is capable of finding...but seat time is so expensive in an AWD car that its hard to get enough seat time to truely push the car hard.

Dave
Dave, Whimpy drives that car a long time ago now and very very often. And because of that that car has a lots of tweaking in it ,so i assume it is a best possible way set up for him. Not to mention his seat time with his co-driver and his car vs other guys. not to mention his power to weight ratio
Also , a very very BIG time fatc is here, Josh is a really talented driver. I think one of the best. I do really like him a lot.

I would like to see him some high end open class car after a years same often races as he do with a golf. I do believe he is better driver then K Block by a mile.
He would probably would put pressure on this rally too for the first place guy

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 31, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

not to mention his power to weight ratio
I doubt his power to weight is nearly as good as any open class car. A proper Open car should be making 300whp and 450ft/lbs and will weigh 2900lbs. Josh's car makes ~160whp and 130ft/lbs and probably weighs 2000-2200lbs. Add in 400ish lbs of passengers to both cars and I'd take the Open car any day....unless I was having to pay for it.

Also, a very very BIG time fact is here, Josh is a really talented driver.
^ THIS is the important part and was sorta the point I was trying to make. Lots of guys in AWD cars getting schooled by a good driver in a 2wd car.

Dave
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

I doubt his power to weight is nearly as good as any open class car. A proper Open car should be making 300whp and 450ft/lbs and will weigh 2900lbs. Josh's car makes ~160whp and 130ft/lbs and probably weighs 2000-2200lbs. Add in 400ish lbs of passengers to both cars and I'd take the Open car any day....unless I was having to pay for it.

^ THIS is the important part and was sorta the point I was trying to make. Lots of guys in AWD cars getting schooled by a good driver in a 2wd car.

Dave
are you sure he makes 160 whp and 130 ft/lb?
I think the weight is about right. The Evos which i am in a same shop exept one all above 3100 lbs.

My car weights empty , but race ready - no fuel ~3400 lbs. And the last time had 235 whp and 335 ft/lb also my max rev is 6200 rpm and the power start around 3200 rpm/rapidly falling power above/ so the usable power is 3K , but the gearing is not right for that./stock tranny/ And i put it here because my car is open class, and people say looks cool on stage. So should be faster then a 20+ golf.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 31, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:37 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Dave
This is the key here. Guys like Mirra needed to start with 2wd, learns the basics to rally and perfect their driving before moving to awd.

I will sponser you with decals and free crew work if that will help get you into Rally America haha
Old Feb 2, 2011, 06:17 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Any one else get pics of sno* Drift?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 09:23 AM
SME
Evolved Member

Whos going to 100 AAcre Woods?