Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

666_EVO/Evodynamics EVOX 2011 NASA TT-A campaign

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
666_EVO/Evodynamics EVOX 2011 NASA TT-A campaign

i wanted to make a thread for josh to show people the work we are doing here, as well as document Joshs accomplishments, car, modifications and of course the races for the season.

Josh began with a 2008 EVOX GSR he picked up from a local dealer (insert sponsors name here ).

josh started with the car as a completely stock evo, but knew he was going to be racing it this season. we decided on TT-A because he already has a TT-U evo 9, and the TT-A is a far bigger field around here, and offers contigency tires/pads/shocks. plus its a lot easier to max out the points and be competitive.

after the first and second HPDEs out with the car it was pretty oobvious the basic mods the car needed to get close to the points limit for the class. here were the mods:

Enkei RPF-1 18x10.5 wheels with nitto NT-01 tires (275x35 18")
AMR Engineering single adjustable Coilovers
Whiteline Front and Rear Sway bars
AMS Brake Cooling Kit
Hawk DTC-70 Pads front and rear
ETS 4" Intercooler
ETS upper/Lower Intercooler pipes + intake
AMS widemouth cast o2/downpipe
ETS V2 exhaust
FIC 1100cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Zeitronix E85 analyzer
E85 fuel
EVODYNAMICS tune on stock boost controller.
Sparco 5 point harnesses
ACT-ME1-HDG6 6 puck clutch
works short shifter
AMS shifter Bushings
AMS mini battery

Tuning the car became interesting because Richard @ Evodynamics had to stick with the stock boost controller, yet still make as much power as possible tuning it. he managed to put down 420ftlb of torque, and 330whp on a mustang dyno in a very stout Tune that has proven to work extremely well.

here is the car at the toys for tots HPDE day at eagles canyon in early december preparing for the start of the NASA season:

going from that event we knew we had to get the EVODYNAMICS surge tank in it, because even at 2/3 full tank Josh was starving for fuel in hard corners. having tested one of the tanks in another car at this event, we knew it worked perfect and went to installing one in Joshs X.

Before the First NASA event at Motorsports Ranch in Houston, we needed to see his vehicle weight, and bring it down to the allowable limit.

We scaled the car at the shop and it showed to be a bit above the limit, so we went to work on taking weight out of the car. minimum allowable weight is 3500lbs for car + driver.

to start, Josh dropped one of his Recaro racing seats from his TT-U car into the X saving approx 30lbs, this also lowered his seating position a bit. he also installed the Beatrush rear seat delete which took out about 62lbs.

Last on the list before the first event was to drop some rotating weight. AWD MOTORSPORTS was nice enough to help josh out with one of their 2 piece Driveshafts for the X. this took an additional 15 lbs out of the car, as well as eliminating one of the universal joints on the driveshaft. This piece has Proved to be excellent in a number of Evodynamics built cars, including joshs Stock ecu evo 8 drag car, and saving some weight in the EVODYNAMICS TT shop car.

As the car sits as of the first event, it was 3566lbs car+Driver. we still have 66 lbs to go, and he is looking for some two piece rotors for more rotating weight reduction, and some additional weight out of the front of the car.

Before the First event, Joshs buddy Virgil, from Signs by Virgil, came over and put on the Vinyl Graphics:

on to the first event: MSR Houston Jan 29/30.

Josh ran the car hard in the dry the first day, in a deep field of 12 drivers, primarily corvettes and mustangs on hoosiers at the top of the field. Josh managed to place 5th through the day, 2 seconds shy of the lead pack.

knowing where he can improve, the car has a little bit more weight to remove, we are going to change out the valve springs to rev the car out higher (rules permitting), and the big thing will be to switch tires out to a 265 hoosier for more grip and we expect the car to be even with the front runners.

Our Buddy Jim in his Evo 8 was also able to FINALLY get someone to ride along and get certified for TT as well which was awsome, and he will also be running TT-A with josh this season. *insert picture here*

Sunday turned out to be a monsoon for most of the day. Josh had never ran in the rain before, so he at least knew to throw on the street tires. most of the field spun and DQed the first time out in the rain. after some quick advice on line to take, suspension settings and tire pressures, the car got dialed in better easily winning each session by wide margins (although still short of the first session semi-dry times before it started to rain hard). as the day started to dry off, Josh ran the car harder gaining confidence in the wet, finally ending the last session by trading the fastest times with a Corvette each lap until the session ended with the vette in first place, and Josh in Second for the day.

and Proof that the surge tank works: this was Joshs tank after one of the sessions, with no fuel starvation:

Excellent start to the Season for him, and we will update this thread with his changes as we try to get the most out of the car, and the results for the races.

Huge thanks to Brandon from B.Lajoie Photography for the Track Side Pictures too!!

Last edited by KevinD; Feb 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Proud to be a part of this awesome build up.. Good luck this year guys!!!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice! good luck to all this season.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Nice, glad your getting out there and taking it to Vette's. Good to see Josh with yet another Evo The Nasa TX guys are a very....special...bunch Mike and I are working on some things with mine and we'll be back out mid March so i'll let ya know how it goes.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Yall
Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

If I did my math right, you're sitting at 37 pts with that setup. I don't believe Hoosier makes R6's in 265 for any diameter. Why not ditch the intake so you can run 275 R6's?

Glad to hear of more Evos in TTA. Will they be going to nationals? Love the graphics by the way!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Josh wants to Run nationals this year thats why we are out running hard trying to sort the car out very early in the season.

we were actually considering dropping the intercooler back to stock (-4points) to pick up more points. we get plenty of cooling by running E85, plus it drops about 20 lbs.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
Josh wants to Run nationals this year thats why we are out running hard trying to sort the car out very early in the season.

we were actually considering dropping the intercooler back to stock (-4points) to pick up more points. we get plenty of cooling by running E85, plus it drops about 20 lbs.
That's probably a good idea for the intercooler/pipes. It's not mentioned in the rules so it would be illegal right now, but exhaust coatings/wraps are legal. Maybe wrapping intercooler piping could be included.

Sounds like a decent setup you've got. It's going to be tough to compete with the C5Z's with that power/weight ratio though. I'd use any leftover points to drop weight if possible.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 06:46 AM

Congratulations and good luck in the coming season to Josh. Awesome car, and a really great guy. GO get em.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Bueller
Old Feb 2, 2011, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuning the car became interesting because Richard @ Evodynamics had to stick with the stock boost controller, yet still make as much power as possible tuning it. he managed to put down 420ftlb of torque, and 330whp on a mustang dyno in a very stout Tune that has proven to work extremely well.

knowing where he can improve, the car has a little bit more weight to remove, we are going to change out the valve springs to rev the car out higher (rules permitting), and the big thing will be to switch tires out to a 265 hoosier for more grip and we expect the car to be even with the front runners.
330whp mustang = 363whp dynojet in NASA's stupid scaling system (1.1x). That should do nicely. That torque level is insane!

You're def gonna need Hoosiers to compete nationally. Hoosier doesn't make a 265 in 18" or 17". You going with 19" rims?

Sweet - I'll see ya there then!

Upgraded intercooler is nice. But it's not worth 4pts on our cars imo. If you've got another spot to use those 4pts; use it. That's definitely 1 mod that I've been back-and-forth on several times!

Last edited by boomn29; Feb 2, 2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

It was a great day at the track, and glad that I finally got signed off to compete. I think that I'm going to need Hossiers as well to be competitive. Oh and fix that nasty exhaust leak that developed in the first session that was robbing me of hp... Looking forward to MSRC in March!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 09:38 PM

Cool build! I agree with Boomn on the intercooler, better places to spend those points! Good luck this season and hope to see you and other Evos at Nationals.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Evo X in TT-A should dominate...good luck!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 08:10 PM
Former Sponsor

here is the in car video from the last session on sunday in the wet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLyVjJQey24

Quick Reply: 666_EVO/Evodynamics EVOX 2011 NASA TT-A campaign