Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Anyone that can rebuild Ohlins?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i'm also looking for a place to rebuild my Ohlins. are there any local shops in the northeast/mid-atlantic aread, i live in Harrisburg PA
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with SRP
Super Legit
James is rebuilding my JRZs at the moment

Originally Posted by casper980
If you want to get serious check these guys out. They can definitely help you.

http://www.srpengineering.com/
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by snoar
I agree with SRP
Super Legit
James is rebuilding my JRZs at the moment
what's the price and turn around time for SRP. been trying to call them all day but no answer.

Performance Shocks quoted me around $200 for each fronts and $180 for each rears with a estimated turn around time of 3-4 weeks because it's the beginning of racing.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 07:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by donour
Ask Paul?

chronohunter: are you alive?

d
I'm alive! (but a bit late to the party ). I recommend Performance Shock at Sears Point Raceway. They have done several sets of the Vishnu Ohlins (including mine) and understand the specs, I know the owner Bruce personally... good guy
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

I got quoted 200 a shock and and about 4 weeks for turn around. I dropped them off a few weeks ago so they are probably even busier now. every vice in the shop had a shock in it
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chronohunter
I'm alive! (but a bit late to the party ). I recommend Performance Shock at Sears Point Raceway. They have done several sets of the Vishnu Ohlins (including mine) and understand the specs, I know the owner Bruce personally... good guy
Good to know. I use performance shock too, but I have Konis.

d
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update on this. Turns out DFV's are flagged by Ohlins as "Street" shocks/coilovers. I had to send them to Performance Shock out of CA as they're the nearest 'authorized' rebuild place on the west coast. A local racer here tried, but he couldn't locate any parts because of the 'street' application. The motorsport stuff is no problem to allocate parts. It ran $160/ea. for the fronts, $140/ea. for the rears + parts. 4 week turn around due to severe backups. I'm so bummed, missed 2 track days already this year...
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

does anyone know what model this ohlins is.

Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like a DFV to me.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:23 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTisRule
Looks like a DFV to me.
How sure are you on that? I have the same coilovers, and always thought they were the older PCV.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
How sure are you on that? I have the same coilovers, and always thought they were the older PCV.
Not 100% It looks like my DFV, but I haven't seen them for over a month now with this whole rebuild fiasco. Come to think of it I think the mounting looks different.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Wink

Originally Posted by chronohunter
I'm sorry Paul, I have not had good luck with PSI at Sears Point. During my engagement to a beautiful girl from Nor. Cal. (she encourages me to both ride and drive, what a combo!) I visited PSI at the track.

I literally got the Ohlins run around. Things like "we can't get parts, don't know Paul, won't let you speak to anybody else, don't even think about getting a manual, we won't tell you how to charge them up, just pay us, you will have to wait 6 weeks even if you schedule some rebuild time." At the end of the day they really even wouldn't commit to some procedure, schedule, and cost (I am an engineer) to get the job done. I got tired of the flim-flam really quick.

Perhaps I should be talking to Bruce, but I suspect at the level they are at, Bruce may treat me like the grass-roots nut I really am, and sign me off right away. Who knows?

I've already been through half a dozen dirt-bike and sport-bike forks rebuilds, and was trying to figure out if I should just "pay and play" or actually spend the time to tear them down, replace oil / outside bushings, build them back up and charge. The charging part is probably the most confusing because I don't have a really good verified schematic of that nitrogen charged cylinder. I'm not in it to take away their business, I just would like to refresh my shocks. When they're busy I expect 'some' community based help and suggestions.

In my opinion PCV is 'old' technology that at some point the DIY guy should be able to start to source parts / knowledge in order to get these guys rebuilt.

./rant off

I love (and will always love) the damping and valving work you did for these R&Ts. The damping and valving is really the best of a lot of worlds, which is awfully hard to even get close on any vehicle.

If you have any more suggestions for shops, I'd be happy to contact them.

I'll be watching this thread very closely.

0.02 of your favorite currency.

~j.