Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

$550 to make your car faster without increasing HP (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2006, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OZrallyracer
we should go to the redline time attack on april 14th at the streets of willow... What do you guys think, is redline a good event to go or is it unorganized group where there would be more danger than necessary?
I would stay away from any organization that refers to a time trial/Solo 1 event as a "time attack." That's a pretty good sign the organizers have overdosed on Best Motoring DVD's

All joking aside, a time trial is literally a race. That's not a great environment for a complete newbie. Walk before you run! Learn to drive properly at high speed on a track before you start racing.

Emre
Old Feb 2, 2006, 06:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Walk before you run!
Walk a LOT before you run
Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your right on this however if you put a rear sway bar and trailing arm bushings on your car it will be 100% more capable on th etrack, the horible understeer will be gone and so will your old track record

also dont forget good brake fluid, pads and SS lines. once you have all this your car will be ready for you to learn how to drive it!
Old Dec 3, 2006, 07:03 PM

Golovko and I just got done doing a PCA event at VIR this weekend and I have to say that Porsche owners most definitely do not like to give point by's to non Porsche cars.

Still, nothing quite beats the feeling of flooring it near the top of 5th and having a GT3 blow by.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Was fun passing all the 996's and 997's out there though only got passed by a track preped C5 Z06 and a 993 that was hauling so much ***...i thought i was going backwards.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG! this IS a SERIOUS driver! I give you MAD props.

you are a TRUE Evo owner. you are out to tap into the true abilities of the evo...you're not one of the ones who throw power mods onto it in hopes that you can claim you're the fastest or strongest.

he said only when he's ready he'll throw mods....
this is beautiful...i dont know what to say. this is the first case i've heard this and i have talked to my friend about this before also.

if he's totally serious about this, then he can be one of the best evo drivers out there
Old Dec 5, 2006, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Got a lot of in car footage this past weekend. I just picked up an HD camera for this coming weekend at VIR with Chinmotorsports.

http://www.youtube.com/v/CPyudPYzhkA

^who were you reffering that post to?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the guy who started the thread

i say that stuff because you rarely see/hear of someone who is going to learn to drive the car before he/she mods it at all.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Many of the track ***** I know insist that you are FAR better off learning to drive the car as stock and then doing some mods. I did some mods, started doing track days and wanted a lot more car so here I am. Now I just need to find the right evo.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsycks
Many of the track ***** I know insist that you are FAR better off learning to drive the car as stock.
That's a big +1. Until you can consistently drive right at the car's limit for EVERY corner of EVERY track, there's no "need" to upgrade anything. Raising the car's limits before you've raised your own limits as a driver is a recipe for being dangerous...and ultimately SLOW on the track.

(By "slow" I mean slow for your car. It doesn't matter if you can drive your 360 AWHP Evo IX MR with coilovers and R-compounds faster than someone with a stock WRX.)

Emre
Old Jan 26, 2007, 07:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
And if you really want to keep your limits low... track a stock Miata

Bonus: You can do a full brake job (4 rotors, 4 pads, and fluid) for less than one Stoptech rotor for a WRX. Tires are cheap. If you screw it up, you don't have a $30K paperweight. etc etc

john
Old Mar 7, 2007, 07:25 PM

Evos welcome at BMW CCA or PCA events?

What kind of racing do you have in mind? Both the BMW CCA and the PCA have a club racing series and run racing schools. Basically, you work your way up through the student ranks to advanced and get signed off to solo, then you can apply for the racing school.

Or, you can go straight to one of the commercial schools (Jim Russel, Skip Barber, Bertl Roos, Bridgestone, Derek Daly, Panoz, etc.). You need to decide if you want to learn to race open-wheel cars or sports cars. I've heard the Panoz schools at Sebring are supposed to be among the best for sportscar racing. Obviously, commerical racing schools are far more expensive than those run by non-profit driving clubs like the CCA.

Emre

So I'm replying to a post from just over 2 years ago, hopefully everything still applies.

Just spent about 20 minutes on BMW CCA websites to see if I could find a statement that says non-BMW cars are welcome for the track based driver training and found
nothing.

To take an Evo to one of these events, do you need to be invited or are Evos
welcome if you become a member?

Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by straylight9
Just spent about 20 minutes on BMW CCA websites to see if I could find a statement that says non-BMW cars are welcome for the track based driver training and found nothing.
I've been a BMW CCA member for some 15 years, have been doing HPDE with them for some 10 years, and have been instructing with them for maybe 4-5 years now. There has never been a requirement to own a BMW. Unlike the PCA, you do NOT have to give them a VIN number to become a member. Once you're a member, you can drive whatever car you like. If you go to a BMW CCA event, you'll see LOTS of non-BMW cars. There are usually at least 3-4 Evos and maybe 5-10 Subies at each event.

The only exception is Club Racing. All the classes in Club Racing specify a BMW or new Mini. But for the driving schools, anything goes.

Originally Posted by straylight9
To take an Evo to one of these events, do you need to be invited or are Evos welcome if you become a member?
Once you're a member, you can bring whatever car you like. As long as it passes tech inspection, you're good to go. My girlfriend used to show up with her Pontiac Sunfire on Wal-Mart tires (literally). No one cared.

Emre

Last edited by Kayaalp; Mar 7, 2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 08:02 PM

I've been a BMW CCA member for some 15 years, have been doing HPDE with them for some 10 years, and have been instructing with them for maybe 5-6 years now. There has never been a requirement to own a BMW. Unlike the PCA, you do NOT have to give them a VIN number to become a member. Once you're a member, you can drive whatever car you like. If you go to a BMW CCA event, you'll see LOTS of non-BMW cars. There are usually at least 3-4 Evos and maybe 5-10 Subies at each event.

The only exception is Club Racing. All the classes in Club Racing specify a BMW or new Mini. But for the driving schools, anything goes.

Once you're a member, you can bring whatever car you like. As long as it passes tech inspection, you're good to go. My girlfriend used to show up with her Pontiac Sunfire on Wal-Mart tires (literally). No one cared.

Emre
Wow, you replied to my reply on your 2 year old reply like it wasn't 2 years ago,
but hours or minutes! Thanks!

I started another thread asking about comments on the 3 day racing schools
at Infineon and Laguna Seca for $3995. Given your positive response for non
BMW cars, I think I will become a member of BWM CCA and get my feet wet
there first since it is a *lot* less expensive. Thanks again for the info!

Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:42 AM

Just to clear something up.

CCA events aren't exactly non-profit organizations. Sure non-profit org should have a working capital. But some CCAs have a lot of working capital.

From someone who switched from BMW CCA events to non-CCA events....BMW events aren't exactly cheap. I recommend a mix of various track events, ie NASA, SV, etc. Much like buying your first car. You test drive the ones you like out there and narrow down to the ones you want to purchase. I dumped almost $6k on CCA events, only to find out my skills are sub-par compared to the NASA pple. Not so much my learning function but rather CCA takes a very different approach to teaching their students. I learned more about track driving from non-CCA events thereafter.

Lastly, although they don't deny applications for non-BMW entries, but they do discriminate. If you make a mistake, they will jump on you right away, except of course maybe you drive an exotic or something. I have witnessed this too many times. It is a BMW club event and owners with BMWs tend to be very cautious driving their acquisitions alongside with cheaper cars on the track.

Quick Reply: $550 to make your car faster without increasing HP (LONG)