Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

$550 to make your car faster without increasing HP (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2007, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alpina.nut
I dumped almost $6k on CCA events, only to find out my skills are sub-par compared to the NASA pple. Not so much my learning function but rather CCA takes a very different approach to teaching their students.
Hi. Would you please expand upon how CCA takes "a very different approach".
I am really very much a newbie on this and would really like to understand.

And also (just me ranting a bit here), why aren't there well supported
Mitsu Lancer Car Clubs of America or Import Car Clubs or America around that
have strong support so that we can have our own Mitsu/Subie whatever
track days? Seemed to me there'd be some around... esp. considering how
many members are on evom. I read that the Don Herring dealership in
Texas has track days, etc. Perhaps Works at Infineon could do that for us
in the SF Bay Area (hint, hint
Old Mar 8, 2007, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a SubyDude track day coming up at Thunderhill. The event itself is being hosted by a club called "Unlimited Laps".

http://www.unlimitedlaps.com/eventdetails/20070427.html

IMO, it's easier for a bunch of evo/suby guys to pick an upcoming track day and attend one than to organize one specifically for one car group. There are enough track guys w/ evos/suby now for you to see at least a few at every event.

That being said, track days at Infineon are quite rare. It would be nice if WORKS could hook us up w/ some track time.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Very happy for you...that's how you're supposed to do it. Majority of members with goals of high hp fail to realize that you need to be able to handle the car with the additional hp. Even in stock form you need to know how to handle the car, that's why autocross'ing and driving schools are always justifiable events and expenses.

Awesome job, and very good post!
Old Mar 8, 2007, 04:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by straylight9
And also (just me ranting a bit here), why aren't there well supported
Mitsu Lancer Car Clubs of America or Import Car Clubs or America around that
have strong support so that we can have our own Mitsu/Subie whatever
track days?
Because you guys are too busy on the dyno, or doing mad tyte highway pulls against SRT4's. Duh!

*ducks*
Old Mar 26, 2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by CarPhoto.net
Turbo lag?
When I drive my evo I am always in my powerband.
Me too, never had turbo lag.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

i want to take thouse class but i dont think we got one where i stay
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cali_EVO
So a good friend of mine finally convinced me to spend about 550 bucks to sign up for this driving school event by BMW owners club up in Laguna Seca (i am sure all of you play GT3)

And let me tell you this, it is the best mod any car enthusiast can spend! Why spend $$$ on a car thats track worthy already (Believe me, it is!) when most driver dont know how to put the car in good use. I think it is safe to say my stock evo will outdrive the average driver by a good margin. By outdrive I mean the car is capable of going faster than the driver.

I spent two days at the track with a great instructor plus classes in bewteen track sessions. And I am a forever changed driver!!

I am amazed by how well the EVO behaved on the track, nice brakes, sticks like glue thru the corners, plenty of power, steering is precise. the turbo lag does take some getting use to when getting out of a corner.

I am definitely leaving my evo bone stock, it is fine the way is it. Any buget that I had for mods will be going to improving driving skills.

All i am saying is a 2002 (old school bmw) with a tiny engine and a good suspension setup combined a good driver can outrun M3s / M roadster in a corner. I rather be the guy in the 2002 than the guy in the M3s being passed.

When I get good enough may be I will think about mods, but right now, the evo still outdrives my skills so my *** is going back to school....
I'm thinking about going to Bob Bondurant's racing school when I come back from Iraq. Learning how to drive fast legally is a real good idea, plus you can push your car to the limits as well as yourself.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

does anyone have an opinion on the scca event driver classes that they offer?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Driving Education/Track Day thread

There is a good thread with a couple of comprehensive lists of schools and clubs
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...rack-days.html

My personal favorite is http://www.motorsportreg.com.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

^ bump. Best place I've seen for those events.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Nothing like the driver mod!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

The right advice!

Ive been instructing in the US and Australia, and the amount of guys that buy new evos, sti' etc, or lord forbid, a new 911, and immediatley decide to get more out of it and start throwing money down all over the place, the problem is they have never been to a track where they can gauge each and every change they make.

So now when they do go to a track 9/10 times when they feel the acceleration in each gear all the way to top and usually they are intimidated and in a half panic most of the way and brake a 1/2 mile from each corner because they never learnt to build their knowledge on their car.

Like the guy that decides in his late 40's and 50's now he's sold his business etc he going to get into racing and buys a Ferrari Challenge or 911 GT3, and gets passed by the guy in the mini Cooper - dont laugh, Ive seen it happen at Watkins Glen - they go home sell the new race car and go back to wondering where the dream went.

You need to creep up to it, you need to respect the track, and basically ask the track's permission to go fast, it will come, you need to learn, the best mod you can do is to yourself first ,and that is enrolling in a few track days a few great instructors, and then a few Skip Barber schools etc, and now you know how to drive a track, and now when you do mods you now know how to gain the knowledge on what each mod has done.

I had a guy who was a fast driver, and he decided to give his car much wider wheels and tyres, but he wasnt any faster and he couldnt figure it out, so I asked him if he increased his corner speed to go with the expected more grip? and he looked at his telemtry and said ' no'. Then went off to find the higher corner speed.

The best 'mod' to invest in is you.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Smooth really is fast(er). The trick for a noob to a powerful car AND a turbo is rolling on the throttle. Seems absolutely nothing legal or safe can teach good control of the X's throttle steering, especially given even the "non ASC" (not disabled) natural tendency to compensate a lot. So the throttle steering is learned by practice. I'm ready to move up from the meanest and one of the most experienced instructors to a wilder younger version :-) I'm hoping to combine all I've learned and am still learning about this car. Grip will be my next mod. Heck, even changing the brakes is a freaking mod to learn and respect before pushing my car/luck.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Want to go fast? Slow down and nail every apex, you'll be faster!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

^ The fun with these Evo X's, probably same with your 8, is learning how to roll on the throttle. At different RPM's with different curves' exit strategies, I find it's an interesting (and difficult) difference in torque response rates. Net, I have to learn how to throttle steer. Not just a turbo that's new to me. Not just a AWD that's different for me. I have never had even a RWD that I could use to throttle steer. So the power alone is a toy to learn how to use properly. For safety's sake. (Mine and the public's). So much better to get that out of my system at an HPDE than on a country road. Fewer trees to hit :-D

Quick Reply: $550 to make your car faster without increasing HP (LONG)