Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

$550 to make your car faster without increasing HP (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is, and always will be, ALL about the driving! I've schooled V8 American Sedans(racecars), exotic streetcars of all types, in a little 130hp ITA RX7. All about proper line, braking & turn-in technique, and carrying good speed through and out of the corners. Don't worry about these small details, they don't make a difference, unless you're Michael Schumacher!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:32 PM

rx-7's rock
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
^ The fun with these Evo X's, probably same with your 8, is learning how to roll on the throttle. At different RPM's with different curves' exit strategies, I find it's an interesting (and difficult) difference in torque response rates. Net, I have to learn how to throttle steer. Not just a turbo that's new to me. Not just a AWD that's different for me. I have never had even a RWD that I could use to throttle steer. So the power alone is a toy to learn how to use properly. For safety's sake. (Mine and the public's). So much better to get that out of my system at an HPDE than on a country road. Fewer trees to hit :-D
Figured I could update my earlier intermediate/novice driving post and say that WITH PRACTICE, rolling on the throttle is improving. I still have to "practice" the "when" to begin the throttle activity, because once you start opening up the boost, it's gonna keep going "smoothly" and could cause too much speed too soon before the apex itself. But it's trainable.

Now, if I can only figure out a good heel-toe solution. The pedals aren't placed well for my foot/shoe size. Best I've figured out is some larger soles of the shoes, and practicing the "blip", timing and amount, as I downshift and move off the gas/onto brake.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by journeymansteve
Figured I could update my earlier intermediate/novice driving post and say that WITH PRACTICE, rolling on the throttle is improving. I still have to "practice" the "when" to begin the throttle activity, because once you start opening up the boost, it's gonna keep going "smoothly" and could cause too much speed too soon before the apex itself. But it's trainable.

Now, if I can only figure out a good heel-toe solution. The pedals aren't placed well for my foot/shoe size. Best I've figured out is some larger soles of the shoes, and practicing the "blip", timing and amount, as I downshift and move off the gas/onto brake.
What size shoe do you wear? Some of the people with bigger shoe sizes use the left side of the foot to step on the brake and right side to blip the throttle. I personally wear a size 7 and can use the ball of my foot on the brake and swing it over to use most of the heel on the gas.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:08 AM

What the name of this driving school?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
What size shoe do you wear? Some of the people with bigger shoe sizes use the left side of the foot to step on the brake and right side to blip the throttle. I personally wear a size 7 and can use the ball of my foot on the brake and swing it over to use most of the heel on the gas.
10 1/2 or 11. When I do that, my heel is still way too high above the gas pedal. I'd have to almost sit sideways in my seat to the left to pivot my ankle so that it would bend enough to get my heel down there. I've talked to a 9 owner and he love his car, hated the positioning on the X comparatively. I can ALMOST roll my foot to get the throttle, but just not quite. Well, with hiking shoes or dress shoes it's actually easier. That's why I wear a set of rubber soled docker casual shoes often for HPDE I get to stop that as I am going to try some wheel to wheel and they will frown on that style of fireproofing