Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

$550 to make your car faster without increasing HP (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2003, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking $550 to make your car faster without increasing HP (LONG)

So a good friend of mine finally convinced me to spend about 550 bucks to sign up for this driving school event by BMW owners club up in Laguna Seca (i am sure all of you play GT3)

And let me tell you this, it is the best mod any car enthusiast can spend! Why spend $$$ on a car thats track worthy already (Believe me, it is!) when most driver dont know how to put the car in good use. I think it is safe to say my stock evo will outdrive the average driver by a good margin. By outdrive I mean the car is capable of going faster than the driver.

I spent two days at the track with a great instructor plus classes in bewteen track sessions. And I am a forever changed driver!!

I am amazed by how well the EVO behaved on the track, nice brakes, sticks like glue thru the corners, plenty of power, steering is precise. the turbo lag does take some getting use to when getting out of a corner.

I am definitely leaving my evo bone stock, it is fine the way is it. Any buget that I had for mods will be going to improving driving skills.

All i am saying is a 2002 (old school bmw) with a tiny engine and a good suspension setup combined a good driver can outrun M3s / M roadster in a corner. I rather be the guy in the 2002 than the guy in the M3s being passed.

When I get good enough may be I will think about mods, but right now, the evo still outdrives my skills so my *** is going back to school....
Old Dec 11, 2003, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

re: $550 to make your car faster without increasing HP (LONG)

Originally posted by Cali_EVO
So a good friend of mine finally convinced me to spend about 550 bucks to sign up for this driving school event by BMW owners club up in Laguna Seca (i am sure all of you play GT3)

And let me tell you this, it is the best mod any car enthusiast can spend! Why spend $$$ on a car thats track worthy already (Believe me, it is!) when most driver dont know how to put the car in good use. I think it is safe to say my stock evo will outdrive the average driver by a good margin. By outdrive I mean the car is capable of going faster than the driver.

I spent two days at the track with a great instructor plus classes in bewteen track sessions. And I am a forever changed driver!!

I am amazed by how well the EVO behaved on the track, nice brakes, sticks like glue thru the corners, plenty of power, steering is precise. the turbo lag does take some getting use to when getting out of a corner.

I am definitely leaving my evo bone stock, it is fine the way is it. Any buget that I had for mods will be going to improving driving skills.

All i am saying is a 2002 (old school bmw) with a tiny engine and a good suspension setup combined a good driver can outrun M3s / M roadster in a corner. I rather be the guy in the 2002 than the guy in the M3s being passed.

When I get good enough may be I will think about mods, but right now, the evo still outdrives my skills so my *** is going back to school....
Turbo lag?
When I drive my evo I am always in my powerband.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 01:36 PM
e8
Evolving Member

it's all about driver skill on track events.

i've passed corvettes and vipers in my integra type R, and those cars are by FAR way better cars.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 01:51 PM

Turbo lag?
There is this nasty corner at last turn after you pass the pit-in, 2nd gear, slow 90 deg turn. RPM drops to 2.5K, i can almost accelerate early before i unwind the wheel, because by the time I straighten the car, i will be back in power band instead of waiting for it
Old Dec 11, 2003, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

I realized how good my Evo was this past weekend. I ran a high speed autocross with the local BMw chapter and my car out preformed all but one BMW . I was very excited about the way the car behaved. It was my first event in the EVO and I am still learning a lot about the car. I believe the EVO is awesome stock and I am going to just speed sometime improving the driver. Cant compete with seat time.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 02:23 PM
Account Disabled

Wow, excellent post. As a race tire dealer, it is nice to see someone realize that the car is not the problem. Track time, track time, track time... The only mod you WILL make is getting new "race" tires, like Toyo RA1's. It will really help as you get to know the car more, it will build even more confidence in the car and your ability.

But again, thanks for getting the priorites right. Learn to drive then Mod. The car is already so good that it is a crutch for even a mediocre driver. Imagine if you learn to drive the thing, look out... Happy trails.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

That is really good to read. Hopefully more will take not and spend their money on mods more wisely. On the one piece of hardware they will have their entire life. themselves.

Car Photo - What tracks do you run that you are always in the power band?
Old Dec 11, 2003, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

good to hear people improving themselves rather than the car.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

wow very good to hear that satisfaction with the stock Evo!

It's very true that a lot of the experience one has in the car is determined by their skills. Improving those could easily do more to your lap times at a track than actually modding the car.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

This sounds like a great way to spend part of a vacation. Would you please post the info on the driving school?

Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

A friend of mine told me that a good driving school is the best modification you can buy... Also one of the most enjoyable.

It sounds like you had a blast. I hope to do the same soon.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 06:41 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Hope BMW organizes these schools here in Englishtown once they complete the road course. I'm also interested in taking classes.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Oh my god! spend $550 on mod and no HP increase!! (LONG)

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net

Turbo lag?
Didn't he say that the Evo still outperforms his driving skills and that was the reason he would be going back to the track? You did quote his entire post, didn't he say that somewhere in there?

Stop acting like a god and realize that he is still learning, much like all of us.

Sheesh.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
re: $550 to make your car faster without increasing HP (LONG)

So a good friend of mine finally convinced me to spend about 550 bucks to sign up for this driving school event by BMW owners club...and let me tell you this, it is the best mod any car enthusiast can spend! Why spend $$$ on a car thats track worthy already (Believe me, it is!) when most driver dont know how to put the car in good use.
Amen to that. I've been doing driving schools for several years with the BMW CCA, BMW CC, PCA, SOCCI, COMSCC, and probably others that I'm forgetting. I think the BMW CCA schools are the best out there. Once you do a single school, you're hooked for life. Your mod budget becomes your school tuition, tires, and brake pad budget.

Also very true. It's much more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow!

Just last summer I did a BMW school at Lime Rock. I was in an advanced group with my E30 318is with 140hp 16-valve 4-banger. The car had a bum tranny and would pop out of gear over 4500-5000 rpm (bad bearings), so I wasn't able to get anywhere near my 7200 rpm redline. I was the most underpowered guy in my group by a big margin. Yet, there was a yellow Evo 8 that I would pass once per session. There were some cars, including an E36 M3 and an E28 M5, that I actually LAPPED a few times over the course of the weekend. That sort of thing just makes you feel like a hero! But really, you know that it's just the other drivers who are not even close to the limits of their cars.

Emre
Old Dec 12, 2003, 04:29 AM

Nah you say you are not getting any mods. but then you will think?? hmmm, why not a turboback exhuast & intake More topend less lag. then Intercooler, better cooling longer lasting engine and yet more power. Oil cooler kit, larger radiater, bigger brakes, suspension, struts & sway bars etc.

But at least you are using the evo the way it was meant to be used too. thats why its impressive.

Quick Reply: $550 to make your car faster without increasing HP (LONG)