Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Kern Racing - 2011 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ohlins R&T might be a decent choice for your budget. Only singles but I wouldn't have too many reservations about that because they can get the valving right. Revalved with some nice aggressive spring rates you won't need a 2 way (though it would be nice).

If you're sticking with that 3k budget it's going to be tough to get a good true 2 way.

The AST 4100 would be my next choice but for PP an inverted front strut that the Ohlins have would make me feel better, smooth tarmac or not. BUT maybe they would be okay. The 5100 or 5200 would be great but the cost is getting up there.

- Andrew
Old Apr 8, 2011, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Ohlins R&T might be a decent choice for your budget. Only singles but I wouldn't have too many reservations about that because they can get the valving right. Revalved with some nice aggressive spring rates you won't need a 2 way (though it would be nice).

If you're sticking with that 3k budget it's going to be tough to get a good true 2 way.

The AST 4100 would be my next choice but for PP an inverted front strut that the Ohlins have would make me feel better, smooth tarmac or not. BUT maybe they would be okay. The 5100 or 5200 would be great but the cost is getting up there.

- Andrew
Thanks for the thoughts Andrew! I've been hitting my contacts up over the past few weeks to see what I can put under the car & still keep within my budget. I could go all out and get the fancy stuff, but I've got an entire car to think about and new tires and possibly wheels are needed in addition to new motor and a few other things. Got a couple offers so far on suspenders and still waiting on another one before I make a final decision.

100% in agreement with you that inverted fronts are a necessity...there's no curbing at PPIHC, so you drop a wheel off ditch hooking, its going to get an unpleasant surprise a few feet later when its called to get back in contact with the pavement.

Dave
Old May 6, 2011, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Where does the time go? Can't believe I'm another month closer to PPIHC and I haven't really had much time to work on the Evo at all. Managed to squeeze in one more testing day with the BMW as well after fitting a differently valved set of rear shocks on the car. Getting closer but the suspension still bottoms out some on the long straight and we get bucked off the road (near the end of the vid). Its certainly good enough for playing around, but IMO not up to par for racing quite yet when you don't know where all the dips/bumps are. The beauty of fully adjustable dampers is now very clear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdgOaRiCEdk

So, with just about 50 days until Pikes Peak, its time to give up the RWD distraction and focus in on the Evo. Despite not working on the Evo, I've been amassing parts and trying to schedule time to get some stuff done. Time for show & tell.

Knowing that my car doesn't have much mileage, but what mileage it does have has been a little rough, I figured this year was as good a time as any to take care of replacing the OEM bushings. I ordered up all the kits Whiteline makes and the rear trailing arm kit from AMS. Since you can't see them when they're installed very well, here's what they look like sitting in the packaging:

Dave
Old May 6, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Picked up some "new to me" suspension last night. Absolutely sick stuff - AST 5300 with remote reservoirs. Here's the specs from the AST website:

» 44.5mm diameter shaft struts, Inverted
» Rebound, Low & Hi Speed Compression Adjustable ("Triples")
» Remote reservoirs allow additional travel and heat dissipation
» Aluminum cylinder, threaded body shocks, factory mounting style
» Spherical upper shock mount assemblies
» Synthetic hydraulic fluid

And just for comparison's sake, I thought it'd be interesting to show you what they look like next to a dirty front rally strut. The reason I find it interesting is that at the MOD show in California last summer there was a car jacked up with mirrors underneath. Their wheels at full droop looked like they had just about the same fender gap as my car did sitting on the ground. This pic shows that the road race stuff is indeed shorter than the rally parts by about 2" or so:

I'm getting excited about 2011!

Dave
Old May 7, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Today's progress:

-removed front control arms
-removed toe arm
-removed trailing arm
-removed shock arm
-dropped them off with a buddy who's going to press out the old bushings and install the new Whiteline & AMS parts.

Dave
Old May 7, 2011, 08:37 PM

Hey Dave bmw looks good. Let me know if you want to sell those ohlins.

Greg
RKTMotors.com
Old May 8, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoumKoTeam
Hey Dave bmw looks good. Let me know if you want to sell those ohlins.
Ohlins won't be getting sold anytime soon I'm afraid. If I can figure out funding for next year, I'd like to run the car in the GRC series where gravel dampers are a must, though maybe with slightly revised valving. Still might run a couple CHCA (dirt) hillclimbs as well, but for this year, making PPIHC the focus for sure.

Dave
Old May 8, 2011, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Dave how much dirt is left on Pikes Peak this year?
Old May 8, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
Dave how much dirt is left on Pikes Peak this year?
Only dirt left is on the lower mountain from Picnic Grounds to Glen Cove. You guys spectated about mid-way up that section last year at the 11-mile/Blue Sky set of corners. From past times of mine, I'd expect that the faster of the Time Attack cars will be on dirt from from about ~2:00 to ~5:15. Now that the top is all paved, its going to be scary fast.

Dave
Old May 8, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
In the hopes of lightening up the evo a bit, I've removed some "unnecessary" parts. Dash pad weighs 5-6 lbs, but for now I don't see trying to replace it with anything lighter.
Changed my mind and have a willing particpant! My buddy Josh decided to jump on the carbon dash project. He's done alot of fab stuff with composites in the past (http://teamsaveferris.com/ & http://www.goteamspeedracer.com/) and seems to have a really good knack for this kind of one-off stuff.

So, basically with the removal of the dash and all parts under it, we're at 38 lbs. I think with some luck, we'll end up with a net savings of 25 lbs and we'll still have a proper defrost unit in the car. Depending on how solid our mold comes out, we may be able to pull a few more dashboards.

Trip to AMS Performance coming up soon - I still have alot to do before that though!

Thanks for following along guys!

Dave

Last edited by DaveK; May 8, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old May 8, 2011, 08:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What spring rates are you running? Are you adding helpers/tenders all around?

- Andrew
Old May 8, 2011, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Could you run slicks now or Hoosier A6 tires with little dirt left? Will the class rules allow them?
Old May 8, 2011, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
What spring rates are you running? Are you adding helpers/tenders all around?
The shocks came with 800f/1000r and were from the 2010 SM winning auto-x team running 285 Hoosier A6s. I'm on stock sway bars, so that'll effectively mean my car will be softer than theirs. My thought is that I'll test the setup as-is and see what I think. If I need to soften it up, I'm thinking I could move the 800s to the rear and pick up some new front springs in the 600-700 range.

The rears are currently setup with helpers and the fronts without, but I'm guessing that I'll need to add some to the front to prevent the springs from rattling around.

Originally Posted by apex electric
Could you run slicks now or Hoosier A6 tires with little dirt left? Will the class rules allow them?
Full slicks are not allowed by the rules. I've run Kumho W700s the last two years, the road racing rain tire. This year I'm switching to a semi-slick road racing/time attack type of tire. Still waiting on final sponsorship details before I make the announcement. I'll have to be careful on the dirt sections, but with ~9 miles of pavement, I think that'll the road racing setup will be faster than a rally setup.

Dave
Old May 8, 2011, 11:57 PM

heres the dash mould i made for my E-7
Attached Thumbnails Kern Racing - 2011 Edition-p1010696.jpg  

Last edited by rascal; May 9, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rascal
heres the dash mould i made for my E-7
Looks beautiful - any pics of the final dash? Did you vacuum bag? What sort of final weight did you end up with?

Dave

Quick Reply: Kern Racing - 2011 Edition