Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Kern Racing - 2011 Edition

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only got this finished two weeks ago, busy with front undertray and diffuser for now.

I will bag it, not sure on the weave yet. Thinking around 500g once cured.
I'll be a big day when we lay this up as it's a resonably difficult shape.
Old May 15, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Work continues on the Evo in two different locations. My buddy Josh has been hard at work on the new dashboard at his shop and I've been in the garage bolting things back on.

Check out the writeup to see what goes into making carbon fiber hotness:

http://racekern.com/Kernracing/?p=311

Dave
Old May 16, 2011, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Expensive commute on the way home today, but picked it up at nearly 1/2 off retail, so had to jump on it. With this one, both cars are now fully stocked.

Ordered new harnesses too, pics when they arrive....in Chicago.

Dave
Old May 17, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Read your blog about the dash fab. That's crazy cool, can't wait to see how the finished product comes out!
Old May 19, 2011, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

Making progress as time allows. Sure would be alot easier if I didn't have to go to work every day....but damn would it make buying stuff tough.

Rear of the car just about done. Still need to tighten stuff up but with the bedroom over the garage, I'm pretty sure using the air tools isn't in my best interest.
-Arms with AMS & Whiteline bushings now back in place
-AST 5300 suspension bolted in - still need to figure out mounting solution for the remote canisters
-2-piece slotted rear rotors installed
-rear inner mud guards removed (these kept mud from getting packed into the rear bumper)

Got the news today that NOS is pulling out of some of the smaller stuff they're involved in, and that means no more NOS car at Pikes Peak. Its not all bad news, as I'm sure I'll see some weight savings from removing all that vinyl. I'm putting all the pieces in a box so maybe I'll be able to weigh it at some point.

Thanks for reading,

Dave
Old May 24, 2011, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Been busy as of late. Full day of thrashing on the car Saturday and managed to:

-new suspension bolted to the car
-swapped back to OEM brakes from AMS Rally Brake Kit (small so I can run 15s)
-swapped two piece rotors in place of the OEM ones
-mounted up OEM trunk lid (not sure how safe superlightweight carbon one is with that much downforce)
-removed the wrap

Sunday morning I had hoped to leave for AMS Performance, but didn't end up hitting the road till 1pm. Drive went without incident and arrived in West Chicago before 9am.

The crew at AMS went right to work. There were a few bits already assembled and waiting:

Motor & trans were out of the car by Monday afternoon and accessories were getting swapped onto the new engine. Here's how the day ended, the Evo surrounded by fast company:

I spent this morning finishing up cleaning out the engine bay and made a few little modifications - going to see if you guys can spot what I've done and guess why.

Thanks for reading - more updates throughout the week.

Dave
Old May 25, 2011, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Defrost anyone? Bueller? Detail the setup buddy, so the rest of us can copy
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Oh man, where does the time go?!? Here's a few more pictures from my weet at AMS Performance.

Engine in the car along with a freshly rebuilt Evo VIII ShepTrans with the street/strip rebuild and an Evo IX 5th gear. Man this stuff is shiny:

I managed to finish off the install of whiteline parts, last to go in was the steering correction kit:

New year and a new turbo - many thanks to the guys at TiAl Sport for getting us this bad-boy on short notice. Its a Garrett 35R with a TiAL billet wheel and we've spec'd an 0.82 stainless steel exhaust housing this time around:

Scott got the car up and running on Friday afternoon and Mitch made a few tweaks to things so it could be moved over to the dyno for break in. While those guys were busy, I wandered a bit.

The fab guys have been busy and there's going to be some cool customers soon:

Its not an evo, but I got to hear this thing tearing up the rollers and just had to snap a pic. Can't argue with 700whp on 93 pump gas.

Dave
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Next up was the trip to the dyno for break-in and tuning.

Scott keeping an eye on things as we get ready for break-in miles:

Different angles:

Looks like I missed a couple spots when removing the old vinyl:

Mitch working his magic on the bombproff laptop:

Mitch making some adjustments to the throttle kicker:

Picture of the throttle kicker:

Science experiment gone bad?

Hardly - one of the best things about the MoTeC ECU is its sheer capability of what you can do with it. I just wanted the option to run real rally-style antilag, but its capable of so much more. I'll let Mitch chime in with all the cool stuff he's been doing but I gotta say I'm damn impressed. Lots of checks & balances and different parts of the tune that reference off different things...enough to make my head hurt. LOL

Thanks for reading!

Dave
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Hmm, so what's this new cooler bit you added, with the....so so plumb job ?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Hmm, so what's this new cooler bit you added, with the....so so plumb job ?
You talking the oil cooler that mounts on top of the radiator...or asking about those holes at the bottom of the firewall?

If the first one, that's the same setup we ran in the car all last year. I worked with CBRD to fit the largest radiator I could stuff in there, but still allow for IC piping to come up over the top. With that done, we had a bit of a hole to fill, so figured why not relocate the oil cooler to this safe spot. Initially the idea was to plumb the oil lines behind the coolers, but we just didn't have enough space so the oil cooler got flipped around. Function over looks I say.

If the second guess, the grommet on the lower firewall is more of a 'down the road' modification, but looked a hell of a lot easier to install while the engine was out. I'm still interested in running the Global Rally Cross events, and many of the top cars there use rear-mounted radiators. I've got most of the parts to make it work (huge radiator, 2 3000cfm fans, aluminum piping, etc.) but I want to be able to do some before & after temp testing to see how efficient the new setup is/isn't.

Dave
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Hooray!

I wanted to post up a little write up of what we did with this specific car but I will just leave it to this since I am short on time.

A big part of what we do here is strive to find ways to make our tuning as good as it can possibly be. The nice things about having more than one tuner on staff is the ability to bounce ideas around and find what works best. With Dave's car since it changes altitude drastically Chris, Martin and I decided to implement some compensations to make the car as safe as possible based on overall volumetric efficiency.

So we used a secondary barometric pressure sensor and make changes for fuel timing and boost. We also added an E Map sensor to be able to make changes to fuel timing and boost based on a ratio of back pressure to intake manifold pressure. It will automatically adjust the tune based on all of these things working in unison. All of these things work together to make the car always run the same regardless of the altitude temperature or back pressure.

The beauty of the Motec is the ease of making all of things work together. The Motec really is an amazing unit. The amount of control that they can provide is really superb and makes tuning them a lot of fun. This calibration took a bit to set up but once everything was tested and working it, it makes for a car that runs really really well. Mix that with the anti lag and it makes for a really nasty hill climb car!

Thanks for the read and see you in Colorado soon Dave.

Mitch M
AMS
Old Jun 2, 2011, 01:05 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking good dave!

keep us all posted!

and nice working with Mitch im sure.

cb
Old Jun 2, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

By far one of my favorite EVOs to work on. Cant wait to see how she does at Pikes Peak!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
Looking good dave!

keep us all posted!

and nice working with Mitch im sure.

cb
Thanks Chad! After looking some of those pics I'm noticing I've got some work to do with a small screwdriver to straighten out some of those fins that got damaged in a hail storm.

Very excited to be working with Mitch again - we actually met him for the first time up at 10,000 feet at 4:30am the first year we ran the Evo at Pikes Peak.

Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
By far one of my favorite EVOs to work on. Cant wait to see how she does at Pikes Peak!
Thanks - hopefully some of the stuff we've cut out makes it a little easier.

Dave

Quick Reply: Kern Racing - 2011 Edition