Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

March 4-6, 2011: Ed Nazarian racing @ ACS Roval (Season Opener)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March 4-6, 2011: Ed Nazarian racing @ ACS Roval (Season Opener)

The 2011 season opener was at ACS Roval on March 4-6. Up until last year our season opener has been at Big Willow in February, but NASA decided to cancel that event this year. It’s really unfortunate because I love Big Willow.

Before anything I want to say a quick thank you to Mike Welch (owner of RRE), KC from APR, and Art from RRE. Due to some personal challenges in the off season, I didn’t have time to get ready for our season opener in a timely manner. I literally prepped my car a few days before leaving for ACS. Mike, as usual, was extremely helpful and generous. He even made the time to get my car on the dyno in the midst of a busy schedule to see how things were looking. KC from APR went out of his way by driving out to ACS on Friday to hand deliver a set of risers, that he installed himself. Since I had used the GTC-200 wing without the risers, I could feel they made enough of a difference. As for Art, he was there that weekend crewing for someone else but made time to check up on me. I was doing some work on my RF fender and had him come over to give me his opinion. He ended up doing some work on the fender also.

Earlier I said that since I had some personal challenges in the off season I couldn’t get ready in a timely manner. The major factor I didn’t have time to sort out was getting my alignment adjusted for this event. And Robi (owner of Robispec) was going to be out of town during this event, so we couldn’t make adjustments at the track like we usually do. I knew it wasn’t ideal but I figured it was close enough from when I did a test day in November, so I decided I was willing to race as-is. Besides, I figured it would be a good learning experience.

SATURDAY

Saturday was a day full of incidents before and during the race. I qualified P2 with a 1:48.745, but after qualifying I realized I was cording my RF and RR tires. Since our drivers meeting was after our qualifying session I didn’t have enough time to get my tires flipped, get ready, and make it to grid on time.

For Saturday’s race our group had 2 rolling starts. Super Touring was with the 1st start, while GTS had the 2nd start. When I entered the track both groups were long gone. By the time I was approaching T9 the first group had already taken their start and the leaders were entering T3. A few seconds later GTS took their start. My only chance at that point was if there was an incident that entailed a full course double-yellow, or a pace car to collect the field. Due to a pretty serious incident, that’s exactly what happened. As I crossed start/finish to start my 1st lap there was a yellow issued before T3 due to an incident in T3. As I started my 2nd lap the pace car was entering T1 with a full course double-yellow. What are the odds? I had to do over 2 laps to catch the pack behind the pace car. It was unfortunate that incident happened, but it gave me what seemed like a one in a million scenario. I was in the very back of the pack, but at least I was with the pack.

The race then restarted on lap 5. After 4 laps I closed in on one of my competitors, but there was another incident at the start of lap 9 which caused another full course double-yellow. The pace car was deployed again to collect the field, and our race ended as-is with the pace car. I have in-car footage of this race but there is no point in posting it.

SUNDAY

Sunday was nearly a repeat of Saturday. I corded my tires again during qualifying and was busy after that rushing to get my tires flipped in time for the race. This time I just barely made it to grid in time, but as I was pulling in they were rolling out, so I had to start in the back. But at least this time I was able to start the race with everyone else.

At the start the cars in front of me looked confused, so I was able to capitalize on that and passed 3 out of class cars, and a fellow ST2 racer. I then passed another Super Unlimited American Stock Car on the outside of T4 totaling 5 cars I passed by T5. So I started off pretty strong, and set my fastest lap of the entire weekend in lap 2 with a 1:48.622. I got into a decent groove and was ready to gradually push it a little harder, but I quickly realized something didn’t feel right with my RF tire. So after lap 2 I focused on trying to maintain consistent and decently fast laps. Unfortunately, little did I know that my tires were starting to cord, but this time it was far worse than Saturday. If my tires didn’t cord, I was on pace to run 1:47s all day from start to finish. And if I had the luxury of having Robi there with me, I think 1:46s were within reach. At least now I know what I’m capable of doing in a race with my new setup. Unfortunately, we will have to wait until next years March event to see what I can do at ACS Roval. Here’s a breakdown of my lap times illustrating how badly my tires corded:

Consistent and decently fast laps in the beginning:
Lap 1: 1:54.130
Lap 2: 1:48.622 (Fastest lap of my weekend)
Lap 3: 1:48.747
Lap 4: 1:49.094
Lap 5: 1:49.022

Since my tires started cording I tried to maintain consistent yet somewhat fast laps:
Lap 6: 1:51.451
Lap 7: 1:51.376
Lap 8: 1:51.518

I could no longer maintain those lap times because my tires were cording severely:
Lap 9: 1:53.155
Lap 10: 1:54.272
Lap 11: 1:55.658
Lap 12: 1:57.688
Lap 13: 1:57.187
Lap 14: 1:58.173

VIDEO:

- Saturday’s race was uneventful, due to the incidents I noted, so there is no point in posting it.
- Sunday's Race

A big thanks to my sponsors:

- RRE
- Robispec
- Girodisc
- South Coast Mitsubishi
- APR
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ed, I'm a relative track newb doing DE stuff. Why where you having such an issue with cording tires?

Thanks for the vid, you were running pretty solid till the tires went.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDavenport
Ed, I'm a relative track newb doing DE stuff. Why where you having such an issue with cording tires?

Thanks for the vid, you were running pretty solid till the tires went.
Thanks Jim. At this juncture, im not exactly sure why my tires were cording that badly. It could be one issue, or it could be a combination of issues. I didnt mention in my thread what im about to cover because my threads are already long enough. I figured if someone is interested enough theyll ask me some questions. So here is a little background info that should paint a better picture.

Goodyear is having me test some tires for them. Prior to this ive only raced on Hoosiers, so this event was the first time i was racing on GY tires. With a different tire, its possible that i may need a significantly different alignment.

The last time i drove my car was when i first tested these GY tires during a test day back in November. After that test day i knew that we needed to make some alignment adjustments because for one thing, after a few races it was a little off. And, i knew we needed to work on some different settings for these GY tires specifically. But since i had some personal challenges in the off-season i just didnt have the time to have Robi do his work. So i went into this event with an alignment thats meant for Hoosiers, but it wasnt my typical ACS alignment to begin with due to the natural wear/tear of the few prior races. And on top of all that, these GY tires already had a handful of heat cycles on them from when i initially tested them 4 months ago in Nov.

Since im testing these tires for GY, i wanted to continue running these used tires to see how far i can push them. And push them i did...close to 1.5 inches worth of cording. So new tires would have helped my lap times a little bit, but i still would have been limited to my alignment. But with Robis help we are going to work on trying to figure out how we can better harness the potential of these GY tires. Im optimistic, but i also know its going to take plenty of seat time in races to really figure things out.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ed, always a good read.

Ever think of trying to do a string alignment yourself at the track? I'm sure there's a couple guys around that wouldn't mind helping on a Sat night for a few drinks - that's how work is exchanged in the midwest at least!

It's not scientific, but if there's something crazy going on, you can straighten that up at least. Some food for thought if you're in that situation again...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Ed, always a good read.

Ever think of trying to do a string alignment yourself at the track? I'm sure there's a couple guys around that wouldn't mind helping on a Sat night for a few drinks - that's how work is exchanged in the midwest at least!

It's not scientific, but if there's something crazy going on, you can straighten that up at least. Some food for thought if you're in that situation again...
Thanks Nate. Contrary to what everyone thinks, i do try to keep my threads as minimal as possible.

Work for drinks huh? If i ever make it out to the midwest ill remember to bring the bar with me.

Clearance has been my primary challenge with these GY tires since day 1. So i naturally focused on working on my fenders the whole weekend. Were gradually working on the alignment end of things for these GY tires. Robi was pretty much busy all day today with my car. Take some steps...then go racing again...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bueller
Thanks Nate. Contrary to what everyone thinks, i do try to keep my threads as minimal as possible.

Work for drinks huh? If i ever make it out to the midwest ill remember to bring the bar with me.

Clearance has been my primary challenge with these GY tires since day 1. So i naturally focused on working on my fenders the whole weekend. Were gradually working on the alignment end of things for these GY tires. Robi was pretty much busy all day today with my car. Take some steps...then go racing again...
When you gonna share the info on the GY tires? What size you running, what's the diameter, width, etc.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Ed, have you purchased a thermometer probe...? This will greatly help in perfecting your alignment setup...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
When you gonna share the info on the GY tires? What size you running, what's the diameter, width, etc.
Ill see if i can put together a little bit of info. There really isnt much i can say now because i just started using these tires. I will need more races with them because thats where it matters. Test days are necessary, but you can never simulate race conditions during a test day.

Originally Posted by o-townFLA
Ed, have you purchased a thermometer probe...? This will greatly help in perfecting your alignment setup...
Thats why i have Mike and Robi.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

I want to thank APR for showcasing the video of my Sunday race on their Facebook page. This is a first for me and it came as a really cool surprise:

- NASA ST2 racer Ed Nazarian

Thank you APR!
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
Ill see if i can put together a little bit of info. There really isnt much i can say now because i just started using these tires. I will need more races with them because thats where it matters. Test days are necessary, but you can never simulate race conditions during a test day.
Im going to pull a Nate and quote myself. In retrospect, its too early to say anything. I need more races. I will have to wait and see how things unfold after our next 2 races at BRP. Assess things...make more adjustments depending on the results...hopefully go racing again...repeat.