Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

project:BDR 2006 Evo STU build thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassicfun
Sounds like it is all just details now.
Well, if you count driving as a detail

I will do my best to represent the Dark Side...

I don't want to get force choked! But my goals are pretty modest. The Finale is stacked, so that is going to be rough, but it should be good practice. My main goal at Nats is just to feel like I had good runs. If that leaves me in 20th, I'm okay with that (this year at least). I mean, there is plenty of beer

Last edited by Butt Dyno; Sep 9, 2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: fixed picture
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think you made the ProSolo Video
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have the 2012 rules? Its late in the season so I should really wait for the 2013 to come out but the links on the SCCA site are not working....just curious what I can/cannot do with my 2010 GSR

I will also be reading this thread in its entirety this weekend, lots of information for me to learn here
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

reminder, if the book doesn't say you can.... you CAN NOT.

http://www.scca.com/assets/2012_Solo_Rules_May.pdf
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by SilliG
All of that was Corey driving - but I'll take it. Solid launch

Originally Posted by THEmailman
Does anyone have the 2012 rules? Its late in the season so I should really wait for the 2013 to come out but the links on the SCCA site are not working....just curious what I can/cannot do with my 2010 GSR

I will also be reading this thread in its entirety this weekend, lots of information for me to learn here
How modified is your car?

I think the best place, and definitely the easy button, is running in RTA (basically B-stock but with street tires). But if you need to tweak, STU is a good place to be. Feel free to ask any questions, but definitely skim chapter 13 / 14 in the rulebook Brian linked to to get a feel for it. It seems intimidating at first but after you've been over it a couple times it's not bad at all.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bassicfun
reminder, if the book doesn't say you can.... you CAN NOT.

http://www.scca.com/assets/2012_Solo_Rules_May.pdf
I've tried that link and it won't load. Is it that big of a file as I have waited five minutes before and not seen anything happen with it downloading.

Any chance someone has a hard copy downloaded?

Last edited by THEmailman; Aug 24, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:17 PM
EvoM Guru

I've tried that link and it won't load. Is it that big of a file as I have waited five minutes before and not seen anything happen with it downloading.

Any chance someone has a hard copy downloaded?
If you are using Chrome, there is some screwy thing with scca.com where PDFs don't load. If that's it, try Firefox Or just cheat and use wget or something like that. (better than using IE)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
If you are using Chrome, there is some screwy thing with scca.com where PDFs don't load. If that's it, try Firefox Or just cheat and use wget or something like that. (better than using IE)
Indeed. I had to get on my other computer that has other browsers...in response to your other post, my car is stock right now (stock tires too) so I am running in BS but I might consider RTA...depends. Where I am there is only me regardless so it doesn't matter really.

Id like to go to STU but im slowly realizing/accepting that the mods i want will not put me where I want to be, ie I'll have to run SP or SM...hopefully once I read your thread and the rules I'll have a better understanding. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Holy 352 pages batman haha ill have to skip to the good parts

Last edited by THEmailman; Aug 24, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Indeed. I had to get on my other computer that has other browsers...in response to your other post, my car is stock right now (stock tires too) so I am running in BS but I might consider RTA...depends. Where I am there is only me regardless so it doesn't matter really.

Id like to go to STU but im slowly realizing/accepting that the mods i want will not put me where I want to be, ie I'll have to run SP or SM...hopefully once I read your thread and the rules I'll have a better understanding. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Holy 352 pages batman haha ill have to skip to the good parts
Depends how important autocross is to you - if it's important you'll want to stay in a lower class, as SP/SM/etc are a world of pain in terms of money and breakage.

But if you're just doing this to beat the hell out of your car once in a while, SP is probably the way to go. Injectors, E85, upgraded rear diff, other boltons, etc. That is what I would do if I had a tow vehicle/trailer/$10K I could set on fire
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just to clarify... That $10k is after you buy a truck and trailer
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by psushoe
Is it really that bad?!

Fluids, tires, pad, fuel (for car and truck), entry cost...

Guess it does add up.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by psushoe
Yeah... I have a spreadsheet that reminds me why ASP/SM are not a good idea

Originally Posted by byebye_sti
Is it really that bad?!

Fluids, tires, pad, fuel (for car and truck), entry cost...

Guess it does add up.
Way more than that to go from STU to ASP or SM
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:10 PM

Fun times huh
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Way more than that to go from STU to ASP or SM and actually be competitive
Fixed that for you.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Event #18 NASA @ VMP, 8-26-2012

I had one goal for this event, and one goal only - get the new Dunlops properly scrubbed in. NASA's TT system is fine for TT... IMHO doesn't work as well for autocross. Especially if you are not building for it. 7 points for remote reservoirs...

As part of my new paranoia, first job was to double check the zip ties on the brake lines, as I was throwing the RE11s on for the trip down to Richmond. I added a couple just to be sure. This was one last chance to get potential kinks out... and there were a few.

For starters, my portable compressor. I bought one at the Dover test and tune last year, and when they told me I could buy a warranty for $cheap I bought it. Well, it died at Toledo (like my jack) so I cashed in the warranty and got a replacement. Well, the replacement was essentially DOA right out of the box. It sort of compressed air, but not enough to actually increase the amount in the tire. Time for another trip to Pep Boys.

Walking the course, it looked like it was very STi-gearing friendly - in the other direction. From the walk, I assumed Martin/Dave in their ASP car would be in 3rd for large chunks of the course, to the point where they’d be using it more than 2nd, and I might be between gears. Thankfully that ended up not being the case.

The first 70% of the course - until the skidpad - was really really fun, especially the first 20 seconds or so, but the last few turns were really painful. Also, the launch was essentially a ProSolo start, and the lights were very close to the staging line, so if you weren’t launching you were giving up a lot of time. I think the biggest thing I did differently on my fastest raw time was actually launch the car a litle. I really, really, really wanted to use the two-step but with the ProFinale less than a week away I restrained myself

First run, totally green shaved Dunlops. Grip? Not so much. In the interest of science, I had a little fun on the back half of the course, esp the skidpad. Still doesn’t quite rotate like Josh’s car, though...

I went to spray my tires, which were quite warm. I then remembered that my water sprayer was once again done in by the stupid little piece at the end of the nozzle, fell off at the last Fedex event. Time for another trip to Home Depot.

I went out for my 2nd run (6 runs!) and ran a 59.8. It was okay, not great, but I was horribly late on the back half of the course. Oh and it was clean... the only one of my six runs that would be.

Before my 3rd run though, a Cobra exploded...

Very Spy Hunter. This ended up being a half hour delay while they oil-dry’d the course. I was planning on skipping that part of the course on my 3rd run, but the event chair assured me that they’d tested it and that it was okay, so.... sure. It ended up being that the slalom was slow enough that it wasn’t a big deal.

At some point, not sure if 3rd or 4th run, I went out with 4B11* and had a good raw time at least - 57.7, +2. My contact lens decided to attempt suicide in the middle of the turnaround, which threw me a bit, but not much. Kink #3: fresh contacts for nationals Watching the video, I'm not sure this was actually on course, and the skidpad was terrible, and I got on the gas wayy too early coming out of the turnaround... plenty of stuff to work on.

Runs 4, 5, 6 were no help. I did get to meet some nice folks from Mellon Racing and English Racing though. Got some good advice, as well.

I signed up for fun runs but only did 2 - no help really, 59.6 and 59.2 (99% sure that last one was clean). I was super low on gas - needle pretty much below the “E” line - so I called it a day.

It was annoying coning all my good runs. I’m going to blame it on the green tires (justified or not ) No results yet. Apparently whatever system they are using is pretty manual since changing the grid order threw it off a bit.

edit: results are up. At the event, they were writing times down on post it notes. Looks like some stuff got missed. My 2nd run of 59.8 which was announced clean was later changed to off course.

A photographer was there also, taking some great pictures. Here’s one of me going through the first lefthander. I am really glad I went with the orange He’ll have more pictures up in a week.

Just need to pack now. Pretty psyched

Last edited by Butt Dyno; Aug 27, 2012 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: project:BDR 2006 Evo STU build thread