Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

NASA-TT (NorCal) Thunderhill Raceway April 16-17, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NASA-TT (NorCal) Thunderhill Raceway April 16-17, 2011

This will be my first TT event of the year, first time at Thunderhill, and first track event since I moved to Cali! I can't wait to finally get the car and myself back out there. The last time I did a TT was back in June '10 and the event started off with a punctured oil cooler, so it was NOT a memorable weekend. This time I'm just hoping that everything goes smoothly so I can stop worry about the car and focus learning the track and putting down some competitive times.

Also looking forward to seeing if the NorCal TT crew are as friendly as the Northeast TT crew! Any other Evos signed up?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

Hey, welcome to Cali. The Norcal Evo guys hang out here:

- EvoEmpire Motorsports Subforums

I drove T-hill one weekend in 2008. Loved the track from the get go. I dont know what it is, but i felt a connection with that track like no other. I wish we had T-hill instead of BRP. T-hill, imo, is much more exciting and challenging. Some pretty fun elevation changes coupled with a few high speed transitions that have a decent pucker factor. Oh and they repaved the entire track after i ran it, iirc sometime around 2008 or 2009.

Good luck with your event, and let us know how it all goes.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 for EvoEmpire.org for NorCal Evo people. There's also a track day on May 28th that 15+ of us NorCal evo owners are going to /w NCRC. Thunder Hill is a great track definitely really fun as Bueller said.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
Hey, welcome to Cali.
Thanks! I'm loving it here.

I drove T-hill one weekend in 2008. Loved the track from the get go. I dont know what it is, but i felt a connection with that track like no other. I wish we had T-hill instead of BRP. T-hill, imo, is much more exciting and challenging. Some pretty fun elevation changes coupled with a few high speed transitions that have a decent pucker factor. Oh and they repaved the entire track after i ran it, iirc sometime around 2008 or 2009.
Yeah I remember seeing a video a while back and the surface didn't look too good, but a more recent video showed that it's pretty nice now.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

My weekend didn't begin as smoothly as I wanted. As I was packing my car I noticed that my Hawk HT-10 pads had some cracks and were crumbling on the inside edge. These had only one weekend of use, and I can't say I had heated them up too much as the ATE Blue fluid hadn't boiled. Nevertheless, I was freaking out as I didn't want to get on track with pads that were falling apart.

I made some desperate calls to the local shops and forums - this is why I love Cali. Speed Element in Fremont had a set of Performance Friction 01 pads in stock! So on my drive up to Thunderhill after work I stopped by and picked them up, got a tour of the shop, and left a happy man. Definitely a friendly bunch of guys there.

The PF01 pads are awesome, time to upgrade to Motul or Amsoil fluid though. I ended up boiling the fluid on my last session and losing brakes on turn 3. Fortunately I only did a little bit of farming.

Brownbos!

GoPro with the sealed case makes the Evo sound like a blender. Any suggestions on how to get better sound? Last time I ran it without the case seal and all I got was wind noise.

http://youtube.com/v/u9ePOJwofCQ

Thunderhill is a really nice track, but not having done a track day in over a year and with the new setup on the car I was definitely low on mojo. Only managed a 2:09, but that's not saying it wasn't a good day. The car worked flawlessly, and I know where to pick up time, so hopefully I can keep knocking off a few seconds on my next few visits.

- Char