Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Trailor hitch needed!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trailor hitch needed!

Evolutionary and I are running One Lap Of America and we are REALLY in need of a hitch setup for the Evo. If anyone has one or knows of one that has one we could borrow or rent please let us know asap! Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
As David mentioned - we need to find someone with a bolt-on trailer hitch for an EVO. It doesn't matter if we have to chop the rear bumper - just need something we can bold on quick with no welding. Even drilling or cutting the body sheetmetal is OK.

If anyone would be kind enough to let us borrow or rent your hitch setup it would be greatly appreciated. Also - if anyone knows of a person or shop that has one for sale please let us know. Thanks!!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to make one from scratch for my II.....

and according to the comments I think you might have to do the same.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
^^^ that is awesome LOL

Reminds me one rally guy who trailers his WRX rally car with his impreza station wagon. LOL
That set up looks scary. But he said he soon will install the EBC in the car and will get a electric brakes on the trailer. /He had no brakes, and still don't have it/
LOL
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
^^^ that is awesome LOL

She actually tows really well....combined weight of almost 1500LBS above.Handled it no problem.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
I've been looking for a hitch as well, but for carrying my mountain bike.

So far, no luck. One member had one listed briefly in the FS forum, but he disappeared when I asked for pictures.

Let us know if you find anything.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...their-evo.html
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

I have read all about making one and buying one from the guy on here who used to sell them. Looks like he has not been on the forums in a long time. I don't have time now to have one fabbed up. That's why I'm trying to find someone with a bolt on (even if it means hacking the bumper or drilling holes) hitch I can borrow or rent for a couple weeks. . .
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
As David mentioned - we need to find someone with a bolt-on trailer hitch for an EVO. It doesn't matter if we have to chop the rear bumper - just need something we can bold on quick with no welding. Even drilling or cutting the body sheetmetal is OK.

If anyone would be kind enough to let us borrow or rent your hitch setup it would be greatly appreciated. Also - if anyone knows of a person or shop that has one for sale please let us know. Thanks!!
guys, why aren't you just get a third car and carry all the necessary tools and equipment in it?
Like a dedicated service car? If you guys going together, make sense to have an additional car for many unforeseen circumstances.
That is a rule of thumb if you have more then one car on the "team" you should have an additional car with everything. I am sure one of your wife or GF can drive that one, and split the cost. You might even get out cheaper with less headache.

Just my opinion. When you go for race you never know what is next, what if one car brakes down etc.

Cheers Rob

PS : i think Uhaul can help the most is this tow hitch case. Or you need to create one.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Apr 14, 2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Can't have a support vehicle.

uHaul nor any other company makes an off the shelf EVO hitch . . .
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Can't have a support vehicle.

uHaul nor any other company makes an off the shelf EVO hitch . . .
damn that is sucks.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

did you talk to this guy yet?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-06-mr-se.html

basically this is what he said and did:

"First i would like to pin out to you that you will need a welder, to weld this up. (its got to be welded good together.

Here is what i will do first i will describe what you need to make.

Take rear bumper off, remove OEM reinforcement bar.
You will need to get some 5/16 or 1/4 thick steel plate. A piece enough big to made two plates. If you look on your OEM reinforcement bar it has two flat brackets that are welded to the bar you need to make 2 of the same ones. and drill the holes in the same spots as well.

Then when you have your new brackets done bolt them up to the frame rails. Then and this is going to be the hard part. Get an universal tow hitch, or a tow hitch off a chrysler vans. It need to be as long as possible. It has to be long enough to be able to weld it to the flat brackets that you have just bolted. Once you have that you can tac weld tow hitch in place. about .5 inch under the mounting bolt on the custom made brakets.
Make sure that its class1 tow hitch. its the smallest.

The hard part:
As you see evo has a very thin sheet metal on the back, so we need to make 2 more brackets that will bolt up to the frame rails in the back

here is a pic that i made simply to give you an idea
Does that picture make sense to you guys???

After you got this all bolted up, you need to trim the foam behind the plate, and cut a square hole out , so that you can slide in and lock you ball receiver.
As far as lights go, depending on what light the trailer has in the back you might need, 5-4 wire converter. Which alows you to have turnsignals and brake lights running on the same bulb. since our cars have seperate bulb for turn signal where as my trailer has one bulb for, turnsignals, brake, and marker lights. Peolple sell them on ebay for $6.00. Local car stores have them as well

As far as the trailer goes I bought it online for 250.00 plus 100 shipping. Comes with Manufacturers certificate. Simple to assemble. Has a ramp that puls out from under the trailer and attaches to the rail end. pretty sweet setup. The ramp on the trailer can be taken off in fiew monutesm and anything can be put on the trailer like tires, toolbox, fuel."

Last edited by Robevo RS; Apr 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Guys when do you need it by, and how long do you want it for? I have an unused (read shiny, still wrapped in padding) class 1 hitch that was made by slowboyracing for the Evo, it's a 1-1/4" receiver. It was the last one they had, and I plan on holding onto it for as long as I have the Evo. No hardware included, so you'll need the bolts to attach it to the car, and the bolt/pin and clip to keep the trailer attached. I'll let you borrow it, provided that I get it back once you're done. This weekend is busy for me so the earliest I can ship it will be Monday, or possibly Sunday evening.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Loser (feels weird calling you that, sorry)

Thank you so much for stepping up to help out a fellow evom member. PM me your PayPal address and I will send $$ to cover the cost of shipping plus a deposit and some extra for the use of your hitch. I need it by the end of next week if possible. I will get it shipped back the 2nd week of May, right after we get back from One Lap of America. I will repack it just as I receive it. I'll even send you the attachment hardware I get for it.

Thanks!!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Loser (feels weird calling you that, sorry)

Thank you so much for stepping up to help out a fellow evom member. PM me your PayPal address and I will send $$ to cover the cost of shipping plus a deposit and some extra for the use of your hitch. I need it by the end of next week if possible. I will get it shipped back the 2nd week of May, right after we get back from One Lap of America. I will repack it just as I receive it. I'll even send you the attachment hardware I get for it.

Thanks!!
PM me the recipient's name and address. I'll let you know the shipping and any packaging costs.

Char <--- If that makes you feel less weird.

Quick Reply: Trailor hitch needed!