Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

I'm having a hard time with classing for this year

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
careful, do you have the same head, cams as the Evo X?

The exhaust, intake, ECU, and intercooler are unrestricted, the turbo is not. If you can only change the turbo if you use the stock EVO X turbo with a EVO X long block. IMO, it's easier and cheaper to go into SM, which is crazy.

As for the suspension and brake components, I pointed that out, along with the lack of the AYC diff in my letter to the SEB. Still didn't make any difference.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Head, cams, literally EVERYTHING on the long block between valve cover and oil pan (other than the spark plugs) are identical between the EvoX and Ralliart. The only things needed to run the X turbo are the turbo, manifold, and assorted gaskets, seals, and different oil lines. See here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...arts-list.html

Honestly, I know I'm just being a whiner, and a lot of driver improvement would probably make up for most of the differences anyway, but it's always nicer to be placed at the top of the class, rather than the bottom. Looks like I just need to keep practicing.

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Jun 4, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I also believe that as long as the engine is identical, you could just swap the turbo and be OK in this case! We had that same issue a while back with 1G and 2G DSMs and turbo swaps where fine for one year, but then they changed the rules (ESP V8 guys got scared from 3 DSMs when they where starting to take a trophies in that class) and now you could swap the turbo only as a part of the engine. So, if this engine is identical to the EVO engine, turbo swap would be fine in my book.

As of the suspension parts, whatever bolts on to the Raliart from the EVO is OK. Brakes included! But, with better pads, I don't think you would need more brakes then what you would have and you would be even lighter. The only thing that I think EVO has an advantage is the ABS unit. I don't know how much of that is different and if it is possible to do any swapping, but I would look into it.

At the end of the day, I see that you could easily matched the HP of the EVO with your car and still have it a bit lighter which is a plus. AYC might be a plus for the EVO X, but I am sure that good mechanical diff would work well in Raliart as well!

Good luck!

Fedja
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:51 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm a bit late to this thread but might as well throw in my $0.02 anyways. No way the RA would run in DSP, which is typically a NA 2WD low displacement class, instead should be BSP with the Evo and WRX.

In regards to the ASP comment above, the 2011 SCCA rulebook says the Evo and WRX (reg and STI) are BSP cars, and that'd be the final word on that. The FastTrack thing is merely a proposal and hasn't been adopted.

Finally, you might have to take a really close look at the rules. The SCCA rules tend to be very unfriendly towards modified turbo street cars, which is why so many Evos with seemingly basic mods are stuck in SM.

Last edited by otter; Jun 6, 2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Yep. Completely stock with an HKS SSQV...Bam! SM
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
Yep. Completely stock with an HKS SSQV...Bam! SM
the hks ssqv is a SP legal mod. so really BAM BSP!

but what's worse is JDM rear bumper, BAM F-prepared.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, that's what I said too, but it was a small venue and the people doing tech were like "Oh, no. It's got a blow-off valve, that puts you in SM" and refused to listen to reason or even bother to check the rules even though I asked repeatedly and made sure to explain that it was recirculated in stock configuration.

Closed-minded individuals **** me off. Especially when they think they know more than you because they've "been doing this for years" and "it's always been that way"
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Yeah, that's what I said too, but it was a small venue and the people doing tech were like "Oh, no. It's got a blow-off valve, that puts you in SM" and refused to listen to reason or even bother to check the rules even though I asked repeatedly and made sure to explain that it was recirculated in stock configuration.

Closed-minded individuals **** me off. Especially when they think they know more than you because they've "been doing this for years" and "it's always been that way"
Turns out it doesn't even need to be recirculated to be legal.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Weak. Either way, I still suck, it just looked that much worse on paper at the end of the day
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:47 PM

So with a ralliart you can swap to a EVO X turbo and not have to automatically go to SM? Does this work for the sportback as well?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tech has NOTHING to do with classing a car. Ignore them. Classing is completely up to the entrant. If they want to protest, let them put up their $50.

I had tech people at SCCA autocrosses make comments on my mods. I ignored them. I didn't say anything, because I didn't need the headache. I ignored them.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:34 PM

So if its in "the same line" you can swap the turbo. However in the rules I just read:
Lancer Evolution (2003-11)

No mention of the ralliart, how is that "the same line" if its not mentioned?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kanaric
So if its in "the same line" you can swap the turbo. However in the rules I just read:
Lancer Evolution (2003-11)

No mention of the ralliart, how is that "the same line" if its not mentioned?
For a long time, if you swapped the turbo from another car on the same line (using update/backdate), then you had to swap the entire engine, as well. Is that not still true?

In any event, if your car is not specifically listed, then you need to look for where it falls in the "NOC" (not otherwise classed) listings to get your sub-class. These cars can't do any update/backdate.

Last edited by Iowa999; Jun 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typos