Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Goodyear RS Dot Slick review...... Part 1

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Goodyear RS Dot Slick review...... Part 1

A few weeks back was the first TeamWIN racing race of the 2011 season, and event on Goodyear RS tires. I wanted to do a quick write up on the tires and really shed some light on the RS dot Slicks, as I was very impressed with them and could not have been happier with their performance...

I have tested these tires in two different weather conditions so far. My first outing was sunny, dry track, and 80 degrees. The RS tires had no problem getting to temp in these conditions at all. On my out lap I did my best to warm them as I would in a typical race. I wanted to really get a good simulation as to how the RS tires would do with very little heat in them and how they would react when the flag drops and its a drag race to the first corner. I was surprised as to how well they did, and how soon! I had good traction and felt comfortable pushing the car. After half the first lap the RS slicks would take everything I could throw at them.

My second outing was an actual race, conditions were not ideal and I knew this would be a great test of the tires and the ability to warm up quickly and keep that traction with out falling off. So we had a slick/wet track, 40 degree high, and cloudy. Once again I tried to heat the tires as much as possible before it was go time. In this weather though I needed a good solid lap to get them to a good temp. As you could imagine in these temps that is a given, as it was with every other car and other tires.

As the race continued on, the tires were great, plenty of predictable traction with no signs of fall off. I even managed to set the track class record that was set in more ideal weather and on a hoosier A6. Further more every car in my class that day was on a Hoosier A6 and at first I was a little worried as to how the RS would stack up. I have driven and raced on both compounds of the Hoosiers, A6 and R6 In my opinion I would say the RS is a perfect combination of the 2 tires. The RS heats up almost as fast as an A6 but has the longevity of the R6. Also with multiple heat cycles on this one particular set, the tires appear to be wearing at an amazing rate!

I highly suggest the Goodyear RS tires to anyone who is currently running a DOT slick first off. I think once you try them you will come to realize that this tire is just as good if not better then any other DOT slick on the market. Also to anyone who tracks there car and wants a quality tire and all the bang for their buck! And for all of you who race or compete in time trials, Goodyear has a contingency program just like its competitors, to reward the racers who win with their product!

Info on the tires can be found here...

Goodyear RS Dot Slicks

Contingency Info can be found in these links...

NASA contingency
SCCA contingency
Old May 5, 2011, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Should be very interesting to see how the tire war develops. I just started using the A6 last year. We have a good set up and they held up well during a race. I went by the Goodyear World Headquarters sign traveling through Akron Ohio on my way to the NASA championship in 2008. They were not present then with the championship right in their back yard. Great to see they are involved with a new product and awards now!
Old May 5, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I have around 12 heat cycles on my 275/35/18's, which is a little tall I think, had to heavily modify the fenders. Takes longer and longer to get up to temp but they seem to still hold well even in super hot temps. They are pretty worn at this point but as they were wearing more I was getting faster so I know the tire has more in it sticker. Seems also that the goodyear "hot" temp is a little high by 3-5 psi, least with my setup. I'm still getting push in the hairpins but that's more of a diff (or lack there of) issue then a tire issue. Overall i'm happy. My biggest issue is the sizes they offer and that their contingency isn't as good as Hoosiers still. Also I noticed that the price went up? Back in Jan I paid something like 278 a tire I think but now the sites say 310?
Old May 5, 2011, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

what size are you guys using?

And what compound? They make RS in track and autox compound, just like A6 and R6.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joshesh

And what compound? They make RS in track and autox compound, just like A6 and R6.
Where do you see that at?
Old May 6, 2011, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

NM, looks like softer or harder, AC or RC. Wasn't an option when I got mine so I wonder if there's identification on the tire somewhere...
Old May 6, 2011, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamflex
...Goodyear RS tires. I wanted to do a quick write up on the tires and really shed some light on the RS dot Slicks, as I was very impressed with them and could not have been happier with their performance...
Is there any product you've reviewed that you haven't liked? lol.

Originally Posted by Balrok
... My biggest issue is the sizes they offer and that their contingency isn't as good as Hoosiers still....
Exactly. And for us in TT; it's nearly impossible to get 7 entries in class in regional events. Hell, 7 in class means 2 tires if you're running Hoosiers!
Old May 6, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Is there any product you've reviewed that you haven't liked? lol.

Exactly. And for us in TT; it's nearly impossible to get 7 entries in class in regional events. Hell, 7 in class means 2 tires if you're running Hoosiers!

Haha, there is! But this is the newest new part that I have had the chance to really test and use, especially since I don't see many people using them...

I currently run the 274/40/17, and yes the Goodyear tires run wide. I had to remove some fender as well, but then again I run 17 x 10 +18 with a 14mm spacer.

As mentioned, the tires do seem to respond better to a little more psi then the likes of hoosiers. I am going to continue to beat on them through out the season, but based on what I have seen thus far I will continue to be impressed.
Old May 11, 2011, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

so you must have been using the RC compound, the AC just started in 2011 and there are very few tire sizes being made in even smaller batches. I am chomping at the bit trying to get ahold of a set.
Old May 14, 2011, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joshesh
so you must have been using the RC compound, the AC just started in 2011 and there are very few tire sizes being made in even smaller batches. I am chomping at the bit trying to get ahold of a set.
Yes sir, RC is the compound I have. But I would like to try the AC compound aswell...