Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

929 Evo - Gingerman - 1st in TTA and track record!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balrok
(wait's for bueller's wtf comment).
On a serious note, congrats yet again Nate. Btw, maybe i missed it, and i cant tell by your pics, but did you remove the splitter also? Im no aero expert, but wont a wing like that be counterproductive without a splitter, or something to balance out your front end? I imagine that Kognition wing creates more downforce compared to the OEM wing.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bueller
On a serious note, congrats yet again Nate. Btw, maybe i missed it, and i cant tell by your pics, but did you remove the splitter also? Im no aero expert, but wont a wing like that be counterproductive without a splitter, or something to balance out your front end? I imagine that Kognition wing creates more downforce compared to the OEM wing.
Thx Ed.

Front splitter is gone. I ran w/o it last event using the APR wing; and ran w/o it this event using the Kognition wing too. I just don't have all the pts needed to run that flimsy APR splitter in TTA; let alone a proper one.

There's plenty of examples of other cars out there with a big rear wing and no additional front downforce. So I'm giving this a shot and we're planning on re-aligning the car to take advantage of this setup. Will it work; we'll see!

Since I had the APR adjuster break at my first event; I've actually carried the stock wing to my last 3 events! Just in case! I'd like to put it back on and see how much the rear loosens back up. I think that'll be a test for the next time out!

I'm sure this Kognition wing, or any rear wing for that matter, is limiting my topend. I know they ALL contribute significantly under braking... you can feel that for sure!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Is that wing legal, looks like it might be wider than the body.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

I use econolite composite panels for splitter material. Cost is inexpensive $90 for 4x8 sheet. Holds up well using (4) APR splitter hardware sets. The splitter depth will make substantial front downforce changes.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
I use econolite composite panels for splitter material. Cost is inexpensive $90 for 4x8 sheet. Holds up well using (4) APR splitter hardware sets. The splitter depth will make substantial front downforce changes.
Im going to use alumalite. How do you mount it so it doesn't angle up without adding front facia.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
Is that wing legal, looks like it might be wider than the body.
It's about 1.5" slimmer than our fat-assed cars!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
Im going to use alumalite. How do you mount it so it doesn't angle up without adding front facia.
It would have to be bolted directly to the front bumper. Anything not would be a front air dam and another +3. At least that's the way I read the rules; trying to read them in black/white and all.

And if you have a IX; our bumper isn't level... So it ends up looking like mine does; which probably isn't ideal. So I decided to try another route for pts. I might come back to this though...

Last edited by boomn29; Jun 9, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Thx Ed.

Front splitter is gone. I ran w/o it last event using the APR wing; and ran w/o it this event using the Kognition wing too. I just don't have all the pts needed to run that flimsy APR splitter in TTA; let alone a proper one.

There's plenty of examples of other cars out there with a big rear wing and no additional front downforce. So I'm giving this a shot and we're planning on re-aligning the car to take advantage of this setup. Will it work; we'll see!

Since I had the APR adjuster break at my first event; I've actually carried the stock wing to my last 3 events! Just in case! I'd like to put it back on and see how much the rear loosens back up. I think that'll be a test for the next time out!

I'm sure this Kognition wing, or any rear wing for that matter, is limiting my topend. I know they ALL contribute significantly under braking... you can feel that for sure!
Well, as you know, theres really only one way to find out. But i know its not going to be easy. Most people dont realize that if you want to work at fine tuning something, it takes a lot of time, and a lot of test days. Id say it takes a good 1yr to get started, then after that youre basically working at fine tuning everything from one year to the next. And youre a few months away from Nationals so i think youll have no other choice but to shoot from the hip. My guess is that i dont think this setup will hurt you much at Mid-O because its not a high speed track. It doesnt have any sort of major high speed transitions. My guess is that your challenge with this setup will be with high speed tracks because with the extra downforce in the rear your front end may be susceptible to lifting more than usual and end up pushing in the high speed sweepers/transitions. Youve got a lot on your plate for Nationals, but if you plan on running in TT next year also, you have about 1yr to test. It may sound like a lot of time, but in actuality its not much. So good luck!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

^^ What do you consider a high speed corner then?
Turn 1 and T12 are around 90mph

Mid Ohio isn't a Sebring; but it's not slow by any means.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

What i meant was a track that consists mostly high speed transitions. This is a Socal track...the big one. Its basically 2.5 miles of wot :

Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
It's about 1.5" slimmer than our fat-assed cars!
That's good to know. Im not looking for anything that provide more down force than th APR at this point but I might have to when I get the front splitter and need to change the balance of the car. Looking forward to more reviews about the rear wing.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:22 PM

Stalking you Nathan

Good work as usual. Mid-Ohio next month should be... fun.

-Aaron
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cuonice
Stalking you Nathan

Good work as usual. Mid-Ohio next month should be... fun.

-Aaron
Can't wait!

Got some change to make first. Alignment definitely...
Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Well done! Gingerman is an hour from where I used to live but never got out there. That will change when I move back.

How do you like the AST's? Our shop sells a lot of them and does our own in-house valving. Ive been debating throwing a set on my evo but Im saving my pennies first. We'll be at a few events along the eastcoast this summer. Ill come check out the car if you happen to be there too.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackevolution8
Well done! Gingerman is an hour from where I used to live but never got out there. That will change when I move back.

How do you like the AST's? Our shop sells a lot of them and does our own in-house valving. Ive been debating throwing a set on my evo but Im saving my pennies first. We'll be at a few events along the eastcoast this summer. Ill come check out the car if you happen to be there too.
First of all, have we met? I know Tony and Tony - we were all at Putnam in May too.

Anyways; yeah I really like the AST's. I have the singles and honestly I have not even touched them! No ride height or rebound changes since they've been installed. I just haven't needed to. That tells you something about their off-the-shelf valving right there.

They definitely offer more droop travel; which is something our cars need when running sticky tires. If the tread isn't on the ground; you aren't putting the power down!

Quick Reply: 929 Evo - Gingerman - 1st in TTA and track record!