Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2011 NASA nationals at Midohio.....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Alright Apex! Second place in national race

101 David Fazzino 20 35:06.509 40.543 1:36.926 11 89.140

Did Ryan not qualify because of the "punt"?

yea, there is video of it from Justins sti. It was our first time through keyhole at race speed and I didnt anticipate the water being that bad. As I entered and hit the water I knew I was screwed and had a little to much speed. I steered down and in and not a chance in hell it would scrub any speed. I also knew if I hit the brakes it was over, you can see in the video I hit the brakes at the last moment after down shifting as low as I could. It pretty much took me straight across the track, nothing more I could do really. In my mind had i stayed high i would have hit justin and possibly david..

so no second place for me, Although from that point on I am really happy with my driving. I even caught up to dean, well got to the same straight at least, but as good as I felt I was in traffic. I would have needed open track to catch him. I drove just about as hard as I ever have, that is for sure.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

Friday's qualifying sprint race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6LXjMjYE_Q

And the main event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouuz_JXFvqI

Yeah, it doesn't show you attempting to turn on the sealer. But it shows the result. That stuff is stupid slick when wet.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Greatest race I had the pleasure to run! It was just like my favorite- ice racing, where every lap is different with changiing conditions and lines. I want to tell everyone how good Ryan has become driving his Evo. I had a awesome time chasing him around through the traffic. Finally I came to a complete stop when the key hole was blocked by 3 cars that spun. That allowed Ryan to leave me behind. Had he had a radio with a good crew he could have backed off and maybe not have hit a competitor and received the diqualification. I had more close calls than in any other race I have run. We all took chances and drove exceptionally. Cheers to all the ST racers and Dean Martin who showed us how well a ST-2 Boss 302R can be driven. The four all wheel drive ST-2 cars and drivers helped each other all weekend. Without Ryan and Whit Staples helping me I could not have made the race. Thanks to them and Justin for their help all weekend...Dave Fazzino PS I just read that the Boss 302 had wet tires on. I had Hoosier A6 DOT slicks on.

Last edited by apex electric; Sep 12, 2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by MSP608
Friday's qualifying sprint race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6LXjMjYE_Q

And the main event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouuz_JXFvqI

Yeah, it doesn't show you attempting to turn on the sealer. But it shows the result. That stuff is stupid slick when wet.
Very nice, good driving, good drama lol. Pray for rain indeed. What was the beeping from?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Here are some pics of the wild SU and TTR cars that were there this week. . .

Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had a blast this weekend watching .It was good meeting ryan he is a cool down to earth guy and can drive the hell out of that evo lol. Her are a few pics i got.

Last edited by bad 350z; Sep 12, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Who's this ^ GG one?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who's this ^ GG one?
Whit's.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
MSP, great driving, awesome video, enjoyed watching it!

Nice driving Hamflex, you were moving out! Also nice meeting you at the track.

Personally, I'm all ready to do it all again!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:59 PM

Dave, for a guy whose "lap" times were usually in the single digits, I am impressed at how well you got that thing around the track. Great battle with you and Brees. The scales sucked, I learned that on Friday. Had an odd 30lb swing in one session (used 5 gallons in 6 laps??) and came up 3lb lite. From then on I was 20lb heavy for every weigh to avoid any issues.

TTA was bonkers, 3 cars into the 32s. Really impressive, given that Krolewicz ran a 1:34 in the TTU AMS car in 2006 or 7.

Did the awd cars consistently get gps dyno'd? How did that work out?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

I looked at my laps and I beat Ryans best time by 2/100's of a second! We were only 2/10ths of a second behind Deans Martins 2cd place overall best lap time!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bnjmn
Dave, for a guy whose "lap" times were usually in the single digits, I am impressed at how well you got that thing around the track. Great battle with you and Brees. The scales sucked, I learned that on Friday. Had an odd 30lb swing in one session (used 5 gallons in 6 laps??) and came up 3lb lite. From then on I was 20lb heavy for every weigh to avoid any issues.

TTA was bonkers, 3 cars into the 32s. Really impressive, given that Krolewicz ran a 1:34 in the TTU AMS car in 2006 or 7.

Did the awd cars consistently get gps dyno'd? How did that work out?
I know that I, Nathan and Tony (Black WRX) got GPS'd on both Sunday sessions. That is the only time they GPS'd me. Don't know if any other's got tracked. Of course the results were super top secret. . .

It is pretty crazy how much faster most of the TT classes has gotten in the past 4 years.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice, good driving, good drama lol. Pray for rain indeed. What was the beeping from?
Thanks. I still can't believe I never made contact with anyone (or anything! ) over the course of those three days.

Beeping was my oil pressure bouncing around.

Originally Posted by David Buschur
MSP, great driving, awesome video, enjoyed watching it!

Nice driving Hamflex, you were moving out! Also nice meeting you at the track.

Personally, I'm all ready to do it all again!
Thanks. I try to keep things exciting.

I was disappointed to read before how you were going for a National Championship and then planned to back off from TT. Hope you're hooked now!

Originally Posted by apex electric
I looked at my laps and I beat Ryans best time by 2/100's of a second! We were only 2/10ths of a second behind Deans Martins 2cd place overall best lap time!
So I'm assuming the track conditions got a little better towards the end of the race? Most of you guys set fast laps in lap 13 and 14. I'd say I wasn't too far behind you guys in pace early on, but my best lap was pretty far off.

Where did you read that Martin was on wets? That makes me feel a little bit better about getting spanked by a rwd car in the rain.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
Yea Im not the best we driver, but i was pushing it. And yea my fastest lap time was in the 11th lap, my buddy was watching the live coverage and live timing and scoring. He was saying there were a few laps where I was the fastest car on track, but still hardly any speedcast coverage. hell I was in 3rd place over all and I got not love, only them pointing out my frowning front bumper.

Mind you this was only my second time on track but over the course of the weekend I went faster every time. from 1:34.8 to 1:33.4 to 1:32.9 and In the morning practice I cracked off a 1:32.7. In fact I did that racing with Dean and he even flagged me by.

I would have loved for a dry race, I know my evo has a high 1:31 in it, il get it next year though!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
I know that I, Nathan and Tony (Black WRX) got GPS'd on both Sunday sessions. That is the only time they GPS'd me. Don't know if any other's got tracked. Of course the results were super top secret. . .

It is pretty crazy how much faster most of the TT classes has gotten in the past 4 years.
I got the gps during the championship race, I thinks its just because I qualified in the top spot for AWD cars... They sure as hell didnt tell me, I just happend to hear some guy trying to use the magnet on my roof.... The MR had the last laugh on that attempt! haha

Quick Reply: 2011 NASA nationals at Midohio.....