Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

NASA MW/GL Mid Ohio Aug 12-14

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apex electric
The Function First ST-2 Evo is about ready as we can be. Spent today at Mid Ohio meeting new racer friends and checking out the competition. We drove 14hrs. Arrived after midnight so we just set up today and will be rested to go to work Saturday. There is a very good chance of rain Sunday, so tomorrow is the day for the TT guys. I am looking forward to play in the rain Sunday. My 5 year old 1/2 spent Hoosier rains are not great but I,m an ice racer so I can have even more fun! Patrick was on track today so he will be up to speed for tomorrows qualifying. There is a real crazy areo fast looking Corvette here in ST-2. It makes our car look tame! I did not see it go on track so we will wait to see how fast it is. Come on rain!
Lots of the Evo "family"out at Mid-O today and more soon to arrive!

Nice to see David and got to meet Ryan (Hamflex) today. Robert Fuller (robispec) was working his magic with the suspension over the last few days and the car really feels great! Ran into brake issues (again!!) at the end of the day, so hopefully will be able to get through the weekend..

Have never raced in the rain (which looks like a near certainty on Sunday), so I may just attach a tow strap to David's bumper and go along for the ride
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a real crazy areo fast looking Corvette here in ST-2. It makes our car look tame! I did not see it go on track so we will wait to see how fast it is. Come on rain!
Lemme guess. Was it a black one in the lower pit?

Or a black one with green numbers and a front wing?

Either way; both are super quick. The former being a Nat'l champ in TTS.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Hoops and I both got to Mid Ohio just before 9pm local - as it got dark!

We paddocked next to each other out in the grass. About the same spot as last time. I'm sure Smike will be with us tomorrow (in the focus). I'm sure sure if Jeff (Racer145) is coming but I'd assume so since it's a crossover.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck everyone!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Well, things did not go to well for us today. On the first lap of practice my outlet hose popped off and it was too hot and time consuming to make it back out. That put us at the back of the thunder group for qualifying. It also was critical to get the brake balance dialed in. So with no test time I tried to pass my way through the slow traffic and could barely get a clean lap. Ran a 134.4 which made me the fastest of the 3 evo's but way off the leaders pace. My car understeered terribly which we realized was too low a tire pressure on the left front. I was on used R6 tires because I felt I should use up my old tires and save my new set of A6 tires for the nationals. The race started well with no problem. Made some passes and a few cars fell out. By the time a full course yellow came out we were just outside the top ten overall. The race restarted and I tried to keep up but after several laps my brakes started to fade. Had I known, we had gone the wrong way with a change before the race and I was using way too much front brake and cooked them. Then my new 3rd gear went... Not sure if it was my driving but it was over. No ability to get 3rd and no brake pedal..I tried to finish and stay out of everyones way then my brake pedal returned but it was too late. I tried my best but it wasn't the best weekend. I really can't afford to repair the box so I may have to call it quits for the national champion ship. I am bumbed because I have enough events now to qualify for the nationals. I think Ryan did not finish in his Evo so it possibly only leaves Patrick to carry the Evolution flag tomorrow in ST-2.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Well, things did not go to well for us today. On the first lap of practice my outlet hose popped off and it was too hot and time consuming to make it back out. That put us at the back of the thunder group for qualifying. It also was critical to get the brake balance dialed in. So with no test time I tried to pass my way through the slow traffic and could barely get a clean lap. Ran a 134.4 which made me the fastest of the 3 evo's but way off the leaders pace. My car understeered terribly which we realized was too low a tire pressure on the left front. I was on used R6 tires because I felt I should use up my old tires and save my new set of A6 tires for the nationals. The race started well with no problem. Made some passes and a few cars fell out. By the time a full course yellow came out we were just outside the top ten overall. The race restarted and I tried to keep up but after several laps my brakes started to fade. Had I known, we had gone the wrong way with a change before the race and I was using way too much front brake and cooked them. Then my new 3rd gear went... Not sure if it was my driving but it was over. No ability to get 3rd and no brake pedal..I tried to finish and stay out of everyones way then my brake pedal returned but it was too late. I tried my best but it wasn't the best weekend. I really can't afford to repair the box so I may have to call it quits for the national champion ship. I am bumbed because I have enough events now to qualify for the nationals. I think Ryan did not finish in his Evo so it possibly only leaves Patrick to carry the Evolution flag tomorrow in ST-2.
yea today was a nightmare as i continue to fight gremlins...

And I had an issue with nasa timing as well, I run a amb blind apex. in qualifying it displayed a 1:33.6 when I went to grid it had me at only a 1:35 and some change..... not sure what happened there....

Anyways i ran into some issue with the car all day. When i get on the gas it breaks up, at first it was just here and there but it got worse. But then, it goes away and the car runs great, and then it comes back.

Im guessing its electrical, not sure where to look. Everyone has the same ideas but when i mention it comes and goes they go back to not really knowing
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hamflex
yea today was a nightmare as i continue to fight gremlins...

And I had an issue with nasa timing as well, I run a amb blind apex. in qualifying it displayed a 1:33.6 when I went to grid it had me at only a 1:35 and some change..... not sure what happened there....

Anyways i ran into some issue with the car all day. When i get on the gas it breaks up, at first it was just here and there but it got worse. But then, it goes away and the car runs great, and then it comes back.

Im guessing its electrical, not sure where to look. Everyone has the same ideas but when i mention it comes and goes they go back to not really knowing
Dang. I was wondering why you had pulled off during the double yellow. What ecu are you using?

By the way, had a great time duking it out with you around that white tube chassis car in those first laps!

A couple laps after the restart my brake pedal went to the floor in T1. I didn't want to end my race so I backed off for a bit and eventually got them back.

Pads were simply too thin and transferred too much heat to the fluid. I've got a new set of pads in and am ready to go for tomorrow. Hopefully no more issues. Sorry you guys had problems. I was really hoping to have another good run with you all tomorrow.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MSP608
Dang. I was wondering why you had pulled off during the double yellow. What ecu are you using?

By the way, had a great time duking it out with you around that white tube chassis car in those first laps!

A couple laps after the restart my brake pedal went to the floor in T1. I didn't want to end my race so I backed off for a bit and eventually got them back.

Pads were simply too thin and transferred too much heat to the fluid. I've got a new set of pads in and am ready to go for tomorrow. Hopefully no more issues. Sorry you guys had problems. I was really hoping to have another good run with you all tomorrow.
the ecu is stock, and yea every other time i hot the gas it would cut out...

it was a lot of fun tho!!!!!!!! thats why im so pissed
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

What sort of boost control do you have? Who tuned the car?

I don't know much about aftermarket ignitions, but do you think there could be something wrong with your Sparktech setup?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Just for everyone else's benefit, the 3 guys that posted up earlier tonight (and Patrick) are all in the same race group and the same class - ST2. So they are all running together....against the world. ST2 had an amazing car count today.... 15! Maybe in 2012 for me...

I had a good day. After showing up in July with the wrong config. I came with a new (well previous) config and ran a good time. I ran a 1:33.2 and set a new TTA track record. Took 1st in class out of 8.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Hope you guys are not too soaked yet. Pouring up where I am (north of MO).

Picked up a solid 1.5s gain with the Goodyear AC tires over my R6s.

1.3 sustained lateral g's:

Likely my last TT event for this year. I need to do a few cooling mods to the SVTF. Mostly an on/off toggle switch for the high speed fan, vent hood, and adjust RSB to mid-hard. The new tires definitely produce more grip. RSB on full hard with the front grip put the car in tripod mode way more than with the R6s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LP0RBLBYlU

TTD Miatas in front of me. Car can keep up until it pulls timing. Ahhrrrggg.

Last edited by Smike; Aug 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be leaky connections on IC pipes, or something blocking the intake....

But my number 1 guess is ignition. When my stock system crapped out it was really hit and miss, some pulls it would be fine and then others it would really misfire.

I'd try and grab an ignition from even a stock EVO or something.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
Could be leaky connections on IC pipes, or something blocking the intake....

But my number 1 guess is ignition. When my stock system crapped out it was really hit and miss, some pulls it would be fine and then others it would really misfire.

I'd try and grab an ignition from even a stock EVO or something.
That will be the first thing we do, I am dropping the car off at AMS tomorrow. AMS is pretty pumped on the st2 series so I have reunited with AMS as a main sponsor. A past chicago based shop sponsor caused quite a bit of trouble with the car. I am dropping it off at AMS to tie up some loose ends and the car...

I had one hell of a fun time at the track though. I had high expectations for myself and felt like I had a lot of momentum after running the 1:34.6 for my first time on the track ever. I know there is at least 2 seconds in the car still, from more seat time to actually making adjustments to the suspension and aero.

Big thanks to Patrick for the ride along, it took away any pre track intimidation I had! Look forward to seeing everyone at the track again!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Mid Ohio pictures

I took a few pictures on Saturday.

Last edited by apex electric; Aug 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Think this tire still has good life left? It came off the RF Saturday; just 8 HC's altogether I believe.

Quick Reply: NASA MW/GL Mid Ohio Aug 12-14