Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

NASA MW/GL Mid Ohio Aug 12-14

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Flip them to run outside on the inside. Maybe 1 more event.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smike
Flip them to run outside on the inside. Maybe 1 more event.
Given the amount of HC's on it; there's gotta be good grip left, right? Usually I cord the outside edge but I've finally got enough camber; yah! But even for me that's pretty excessive wear!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Good effort guys, it wouldn't be racing without some sort of glitch. Contratz Nate on (yet) another win. Did you do the 33 on the a's or r's? I tried A's out at sebring in 130+ track temp conditions and I cooked them up to 220degs :ick:
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Good effort guys, it wouldn't be racing without some sort of glitch. Contratz Nate on (yet) another win. Did you do the 33 on the a's or r's? I tried A's out at sebring in 130+ track temp conditions and I cooked them up to 220degs :ick:
Thx. I've been running A's nearly exclusively the past 1.5 years now. I've had a few R6's in the mix to save HC's (and money) but that's about it.
And yeah, by the 3rd lap you can feel them greasy. Times drop maybe 1/2 second but it's definitely manageable if you keep pushing. I ran 8 hard laps in July when it was in the 90's and nearly all my laptimes were the same; save for some traffic I had to work around.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That tire has more life left than the flat I got due to picking up a drywall screw and having it jettison on the backstretch.

Last edited by Bnjmn; Aug 15, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Finally got the car off the trailer and into the garage and so ends another NASA weekend.

Tough weekend for Ryan and David as they were both ready to wreak havoc in ST-2 until their cars gave out. It totally sucks to go through all the prep plus travel and expenses and not have the car finish...especially tough for David and Charlie as I know all the work they put into getting there to get to the Nationals in September; hopefully it still works out

Got a chance to talk with Justin (MSP608) on Sunday and despite the fact he has a "Sub-par-u" he ran a great race on Sunday...amazing to see what Ryan, Justin, and, obviously, Nathan have been able to run at Mid-O with little to no previous experience on the track.

A big thanks to robi (Robert Fuller-robispec) for helping me out with my suspension set up and for installing his hard bushing kit and the Perrin PSRS caster kit; made a big difference in braking and turn in...now the driver needs to improve!

Have some videos' of the start of Sat and Sunday in the Thunder group...I think there were 67 cars in the group on Saturday...nuts. You can see Ryan's white Evo, Justin's Blue subie, and David's silver Evo (up further in the pack)

Sunday was less crowded as there was a lot of rain and some significant carnage...so much so that the Thunder Group couldn't even qualify due a big hit on the front stretch that closed the track (driver was OK). Justin takes a great line and makes some great passes!

Can't seem to get it to embed, so if someone can give directions I can update, but for now the links...

Sat Start

http://youtu.be/BYEbhotYI_I

Sun Start

http://youtu.be/K_HuFOpt7TA

I switched to Raysbestos ST-47 f/ST-45r and here is what my front brakes look like after 4 races and a bunch of practice/track days (despite venting)...robi gave me some great cooling ideas that I will try to implement before Watkins Glen in September...

Lots of work to do with the car after the season is over...I'm at 9.27:1 pwr/wt. and need to get to 8.70:1. Just never had the time to get the car properly tuned or to remove weight...Ryan was very helpful in giving me some insight to how his car is set up so I've got some good ideas to work with.

Good luck to everyone at the Nationals!!

Last edited by goforwand; Aug 15, 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goforwand
Finally got the car off the trailer and into the garage and so ends another NASA weekend.

Tough weekend for Ryan and David as they were both ready to wreak havoc in ST-2 until their cars gave out. It totally sucks to go through all the prep plus travel and expenses and not have the car finish...especially tough for David and Charlie as I know all the work they put into getting there to get to the Nationals in September; hopefully it still works out

Got a chance to talk with Justin (MSP608) on Sunday and despite the fact he has a "Sub-par-u" he ran a great race on Sunday...amazing to see what Ryan, Justin, and, obviously, Nathan have been able to run at Mid-O with little to no previous experience on the track.

A big thanks to robi (Robert Fuller-robispec) for helping me out with my suspension set up and for installing his hard bushing kit and the Perrin PSRS caster kit; made a big difference in braking and turn in...now the driver needs to improve!

Have some videos' of the start of Sat and Sunday in the Thunder group...I think there were 67 cars in the group on Saturday...nuts. You can see Ryan's white Evo, Justin's Blue subie, and David's silver Evo (up further in the pack)

Sunday was less crowded as there was a lot of rain and some significant carnage...so much so that the Thunder Group couldn't even qualify due a big hit on the front stretch that closed the track (driver was OK). Justin takes a great line and makes some great passes!

Can't seem to get it to embed, so if someone can give directions I can update, but for now the links...

Sat Start

Sun Start

I switched to Raysbestos ST-47 f/ST-45r and here is what my front brakes look like after 4 races and a bunch of practice/track days (despite venting)...robi gave me some great cooling ideas that I will try to implement before Watkins Glen in September...

Lots of work to do with the car after the season is over...I'm at 9.27:1 pwr/wt. and need to get to 8.70:1. Just never had the time to get the car properly tuned or to remove weight...Ryan was very helpful in giving me some insight to how his car is set up so I've got some good ideas to work with.

It was nice putting some faces with usernames this weekend. Sorry about the misfortune of the Evos. Usually they hold up and the Subarus are the ones blowing up and what not.

Thanks for the videos! Even though I got a bunch of positions, I look like I need to push more and get closer to the other cars, especially the car in front of me. I've just always been nervous going into a brake zone nose to tail with another car fairly close. Now that I'm no longer a rookie I might start closing some gaps.

I still can't believe your Brembos turned that color. I mean I've seen my share of brownbos and blackbos, but I've never seen the Brembo logo nearly disappear before. Needs more duct!

Great racing with you guys this weekend. Again, sorry about the troubles some of you had. Hope to see you all again soon. I'll post my videos as they upload. Just one of my races is taking 2 hours to upload to YouTube! Slow computer or slow YouTubez?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goforwand

Sat Start

Sun Start

Thanks for loading the video! As everyone can see, at the start my car has nothing at all. By the first turn I had power again, and by 3 I had been able to pass where every one had labeled it a non passing area, lol...Within in the next few corners I was with out power again.....

Hope to see everyone ay nationals. The car is at ams and kill mode has been engaged........
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

I will try to get there next month to the NASA championship. I can't miss this oportunity. A generous BMW racer has offered to help make the car look good with a vinyl wrap for free. I am hoping I can showcase Charlie's builder talents with Function First Motorsports displayed for the media to see well. Grass Roots Motorsports gave my car a small picture after the 2008 championship. This is a great event to open doors as a driver and market a race car company. Don't think Ford Motorcars wouldn't like a Boss 302R victory in ST2 against the Corvettes! Mitsubishi ?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a link to my writeup; including vids:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...ml#post9539212