Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVOs embarrased at X-Games...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RallyDSM
....but the EVO contingent at the XGames this past Sunday was completely reduced to the equivalent of roadside rubble compared to the massive factory backed contingency of Fords and Subarus. Even the Privateer Subarus looked better poised and certainly more competitive than the 2 EVOs running in the races.
Scott
Scott,

My name is Joseph Burke and I am the driver of the "Road Side Rubble" that you are referring to. I am not a fan of internet bickering, so I will leave this short and sweet. I qualified 4th fastest on Saturday, only a few tenths of a second behind FOUST, GRONHOLM, and HIGGINS. If I didn't meet the eventual XGAMES Gold medalist in the second round, I probably could have been a decent threat to the top 3. But instead we finished 5th overall. Right behind Tannner. Not too shabby.

I am not sure where you saw the privateer subaru's looking more competitive than us?? because on both days we were the highest place privateer team.

Saturdays event, we finished one spot out of the A-Main. Even after repairs, the steering wheel was 30Degrees off due to my contact with the wall. Whether It was my own fault I hit the wall, or if I got a little "help", without that, we could have been a big problem for Rhys in the Hyundai in the LCQ.

The team and myself did our best with the budget we had. These results are actually pretty impressive for a small team and a stage rally car that was mildly converted to a RallyCross car that is competing against the best in the business
-Current European RallyCross Championship Leader Tanner
-2x WRC Champ Marcus
-SRTUSA's David Higgins
-Last years runner up in the ERC
-3rd place finisher in the ERC

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Spend some more money on your car and show them next year. 365whp is like bringing a noodle to a gun fight though.
On a side note, I cannot control what is said about our car during the broadcast. Our car is most definitely not 365hp. As you could see by Sundays event, Adam and the team did a great job making the car have enough HP to take the holeshot against Pastrana, and at least keep in touch with the other cars in the straights. Keeping in mind that these other cars are the same cars that have won, and are STILL winning numerous European championships, which could also be considered the World Championship of the RallyCross world.

Sorry for those lover's who wanted their Evo represented higher, believe me, I did too. Hopefully we will have the budget to do you guys proud next year. But for right now, please do not completely write off our efforts. Being 20 years old and competing against these guys on our budget is way more difficult than it seemed. This Evo did NOT get embarrassed like the title states, it was actually pretty competitive.

Last edited by Joeekrub; Aug 3, 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeekrub
Scott,

My name is Joseph Burke and I am the driver of the "Road Side Rubble" that you are referring to. I am not a fan of internet bickering, so I will leave this short and sweet. I qualified 4th fastest on Saturday, only a few tenths of a second behind FOUST, GRONHOLM, and HIGGINS. If I didn't meet the eventual XGAMES Gold medalist in the second round, I probably could have been a decent threat to the top 3. But instead we finished 5th overall. Right behind Tannner. Not too shabby.

I am not sure where you saw the privateer subaru's looking more competitive than us?? because on both days we were the highest place privateer team.

Saturdays event, we finished one spot out of the A-Main. Even after repairs, the steering wheel was 30Degrees off due to my contact with the wall. Whether It was my own fault I hit the wall, or if I got a little "help", without that, we could have been a big problem for Rhys in the Hyundai in the LCQ.

The team and myself did our best with the budget we had. These results are actually pretty impressive for a small team and a stage rally car that was mildly converted to a RallyCross car that is competing against the best in the business
-Current European RallyCross Championship Leader Tanner
-2x WRC Champ Marcus
-SRTUSA's David Higgins
-Last years runner up in the ERC
-3rd place finisher in the ERC

On a side note, I cannot control what is said about our car during the broadcast. Our car is most definitely not 365hp. As you could see by Sundays event, Adam and the team did a great job making the car have enough HP to take the holeshot against Pastrana, and at least keep in touch with the other cars in the straights. Keeping in mind that these other cars are the same cars that have won, and are STILL winning numerous European championships, which could also be considered the World Championship of the RallyCross world.

Sorry for those lover's who wanted their Evo represented higher, believe me, I did too. Hopefully we will have the budget to do you guys proud next year. But for right now, please do not completely write off our efforts. Being 20 years old and competing against these guys on our budget is way more difficult than it seemed.

Joseph no one denies your talent , neither your achievement in this event. Fact i think we ALL very proud of you to doing this.
Fact i am even more proud i personally meet with you and you took my wife for a ride and you offer me one. Which i denied since i am a chicken when comes down to that.

I believe at least from my side we are talking about the lack of support from Mitsubishi , for guys like you etc.

I hope we didn't come out different way here .
I do hope we have a chance again to meet with you again aty the practice , but this time i will bring mine hope fully too If everything works out .
Cheers Rob
Old Aug 3, 2011, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I believe at least from my side we are talking about the lack of support from Mitsubishi , for guys like you etc.
Cheers Rob
Rob,

I agree with the Mitsubishi support side. My post was to prove to everyone that the Evo did NOT get embarrassed like the title states, and has not quite become considered the Prius of the industry quite yet(previous post). Having a privately entered evo that is only a few tenths off the worlds best is quite a feat for a 4 door sedan. Keep the faith.

Thats all from me, I just wanted to insert some times/facts into the discussion

Last edited by Joeekrub; Aug 3, 2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I do have to say besides the contact with the wall, that "road side rubble" Mitsubishi was moving pretty fast considering the factory backed cars it was up against! I was at the gym and they had it playing on the flat screens towards the end of my workout and I rushed home to catch the action. I just wish Mitsubishi was more involved with promtoting their brand. Even if it was more rewards based where if you hit the podium there would be sigificant payouts, it would be a better scenario.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joeekrub
Rob,

I agree with the Mitsubishi support side. My post was to prove to everyone that the Evo has not quite become considered the Prius of the industry quite yet(previous post). Having a privately entered evo that is only a few tenths off the worlds best is quite a feat for a 4 door sedan. Keep the faith.

Thats all from me, I just wanted to insert some times/facts into the discussion
In my country very common the EVo wins over even WRC cars or S2000.
Heck the champ last year was a EVo IX too /privateer. There is many rallys where EVos winning overall.

EVo is the best rally platform for privateers hands down. But no one listen to me , they even say rally is dead in here.. LOL
Even VENDORS in this forum say that....

You are one big proof to make them wrong. I am working on it too, but my budget is waaaay below the requirements. I dont care really, i do what i can.

Old Aug 3, 2011, 03:49 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
I do have to say besides the contact with the wall, that "road side rubble" Mitsubishi was moving pretty fast considering the factory backed cars it was up against! I was at the gym and they had it playing on the flat screens towards the end of my workout and I rushed home to catch the action. I just wish Mitsubishi was more involved with promtoting their brand. Even if it was more rewards based where if you hit the podium there would be sigificant payouts, it would be a better scenario.
The problem is Mitsubishi Motors doesn't have the money for it. I'm surprised they are still in business, glad but surprised.

Believe me, growing up racing mx, there was NEVER enough contingency from the factories. Some of them have almost cut it completely (Suzuki). It would be nice for Mitsubishi to step up just for a few select races in the world a year and offer SOME sort of support. It doesn't have to be much, just something. Unfortunately, their heads are in a completely different direction than this type of advertising at this point
Old Aug 3, 2011, 03:50 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
In my country very common the EVo wins over even WRC cars or S2000.
Heck the champ last year was a EVo IX too /privateer. There is many rallys where EVos winning overall.

EVo is the best rally platform for privateers hands down. But no one listen to me , they even say rally is dead in here.. LOL
Even VENDORS in this forum say that....

You are one big proof to make them wrong. I am working on it too, but my budget is waaaay below the requirements. I dont care really, i do what i can.

Rob, when we say Rally is dead in the US, we mean it is not a popular motorsport here. That is all that is meant.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

by the way we try to promote rally as much as we can, so here is one write up in my website about rally and grupe B

http://harracingusa.com/?page_id=186

and for a small sentence it is works, all my friend who read it thinks differently today about racing
Old Aug 4, 2011, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm jealous of you guys who do Rally. I don't have the budget for it, but even if I did, the only one that's anywhere close is the 100 Acre Woods rally in Missouri. Oh well, our Evo's have been known to kick butt on pavement too

About Mitsubishi support...I saw this car at last year's SCCA AutoX Nats.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...evo-ix-rs.html

I know it's a very far cry from factory backing, but hey it's still sponsorship money. If rally in the US has the same or more spectators (I'm sure it doesn't have fewer spectators than autox...lol) then maybe you rally guys could work out a deal with your local Mitsu dealer too.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GoTopless
I'm jealous of you guys who do Rally. I don't have the budget for it, but even if I did, the only one that's anywhere close is the 100 Acre Woods rally in Missouri. Oh well, our Evo's have been known to kick butt on pavement too

About Mitsubishi support...I saw this car at last year's SCCA AutoX Nats.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...evo-ix-rs.html

I know it's a very far cry from factory backing, but hey it's still sponsorship money. If rally in the US has the same or more spectators (I'm sure it doesn't have fewer spectators than autox...lol) then maybe you rally guys could work out a deal with your local Mitsu dealer too.
they are not willing to help beyond discounts. Which is a good deal but far from being sponsored. I do get killer deals from Healy Mitsibishi, but that is all.
They do fix and work on my car free, but that is sooo minimal what i need from the, is almost nothing.
The parts i got discounts as i said , good ones, but end of the day i still pay.
So the sponsorship starts when you actually get money to do a race, anything before that is a better deal. Now in this economy you can get better deals anyway specially if you buy a lot or you are a returning customer.

The sponsorship is money what you can invest in the racing . Which i dont get personally.

Rob
Old Aug 4, 2011, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

they are not willing to help beyond discounts. Which is a good deal but far from being sponsored. I do get killer deals from Healy Mitsibishi, but that is all.
They do fix and work on my car free, but that is sooo minimal what i need from the, is almost nothing.
The parts i got discounts as i said , good ones, but end of the day i still pay.

Rob
Wow, you get a lot more 'Sponsorship' than I do. Congrats.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 08:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Wow, you get a lot more 'Sponsorship' than I do. Congrats.
You want sponsorship, write a proposal. You'd be surprised
Old Aug 6, 2011, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
You want sponsorship, write a proposal. You'd be surprised
People don't even understand me even in this forum, and they even miss understand me even more. I know its my fault entierly, so with this back ground if I write something they might even think I want to sponsor them LOL
Old Aug 6, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont worry Rob, u do inspire some of us, at least me...
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsmbruno
Dont worry Rob, u do inspire some of us, at least me...
Thank you ! That is part of the plan

Quick Reply: EVOs embarrased at X-Games...