Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVOs embarrased at X-Games...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EVOs embarrased at X-Games...

Nothing against the Drivers or Teams, or really even against the cars themselves, but the EVO contingent at the XGames this past Sunday was completely reduced to the equivalent of roadside rubble compared to the massive factory backed contingency of Fords and Subarus. Even the Privateer Subarus looked better poised and certainly more competitive than the 2 EVOs running in the races.

Now I know and I think YOU know that EVOs can be as competitive or perhaps moreso than the average STi running around (as demonstrated throughout the world's Rally Group N competitions) and in fact are in most cases completely dominant.

However, in the States, at the XGames, these cars were made out to be nothing more than traffic cones to be passed and punted.

We need some serious factory (dealer?) support if an EVO is going to stand any chance at all against the factory efforts of Ford and Subaru.

Announcers during the program pointed out that the EVO's had 200 HP disadvantage in some cases and while that explains things to you and I, the average audience viewer walked away with the reality that an Evolution got its butt handed to it by a Hyundai!!!

That's just not right.

As a privateer Rallyist myself, I can attest to just how difficult it is to get the support and sponsorship dollars it takes to be competitive in the sport of Rally. In fact, the failure of sponsors to support Mitsubishi is a self fulfilling prophecy that has already spelled the demise of the Evolution brand... Nobody will promote a car that doesn't "win" and a car can't win without promotion.

So what's to be done? I would love nothing more than to mount an assault on next year's XGames with my own Evolution. Money notwithstanding, my car is strong, fast and totally capable of making a good show given the proper support. Dave and Rob are out there too. I've been teaching Military driving this year along with Baja Racing (watch for me at the 1000 in November) so this year hasn't been spent pushing the rally agenda much, but 2012 may be the year I put my money where my mouth is.

The question is, is it WORTH it? Other than brand bragging rights, what GOOD does putting an EVO 8/9 on the Podium at X? Or at the Regional or Divisional level? I've taken Rally Cross Championships for several years in my car and... for what?

Dealers are too narrow minded to take advantage of the marketing potential. Product manufacturers should be chomping at the bit to get parts into current road cars that are off the production schedule to test and prove replacement parts for a very dedicated and brand loyal market segment. We put a factor of 10x the abuse on parts in one Rally Race than most people put on a car in several years. That equates to tens of thousands of dollars NOT spent in R&D for any given company.

Yet Mitsubishi and those that support it seem to be content watching the brand suffer and die. Content to watch their cars fill the road of future toasters and not much more.

It breaks my heart. I thought you should know.

{end rant}

Scott
Old Aug 1, 2011, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah it was truly sad to see that, but it is what it is, Mitsubishi is heading away from the golden era of the GVr4, the DSMs, and evos and focusing on the iMiev or whatever it's called, just frustrating that Subaru's factory effort is so strong and Ford has gone absolutely bonkers with it's rally program/s.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 02:36 PM

agreed, evo of the future=prius of today the way mitsu's going
Old Aug 1, 2011, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Spend some more money on your car and show them next year. 365whp is like bringing a noodle to a gun fight though.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rally is dead in the US, don't worry about it. The X-Games rally is a joke, just filler for more moto-x and crazy big air stuff.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 03:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jid2
Rally is dead in the US, don't worry about it. The X-Games rally is a joke, just filler for more moto-x and crazy big air stuff.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I really enjoyed the 1 rally I went to, but at the end of the weekend, I realized why there's not a big spectator following in rally racing. And yeah, X Games rally racing is more like MotoX with 4 wheels.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

definatly is what it is...but with some of the "new" names in the sport it has a chance to come back.. Deegan, Mira and the rest of the old 2 wheel guys.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

I have a Dox Box I'd be willing to sell you for your endevors. You need to get your HP up to 600, slap in the Dog, and a Tilton clutch, then you'll be real good.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 04:13 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by jid2
+1. Rally in the US has been so marketed into the ground that it hardly follows the true roots of rally now days. X-Games? It's a joke. Any true rally enthusiast knows it's just a big spectical.

X-Games in general is a joke, in all categories. The X-Games supercross... the top guys do not go there. The X-Games mx freestyle, did you see the small building they were in?

It's going to take some big money and a top driver to get anywhere in an Evo at the X-Games. I doubt anyone has the desire to put an Evo on top that much, including mitsubishi.

Yet Mitsubishi and those that support it seem to be content watching the brand suffer and die. Content to watch their cars fill the road of future toasters and not much more.
It's pretty evident that mitsubishi doesn't really care about racing any more. They are onto clean energy efficient cars. Will they offer evos for a few more years? Probably, but not like what we're used to. I've been saying it for a few years... *ALL* motorsports are dying. They are starting to cost so much that no one wants to participate any more, not to mention getting fewer and fewer places to do them.

Last edited by migs647; Aug 1, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
yeah dreams... we won Mt washington hillclimb rally category, which is organized by rally america and the same grupe do the Xgames.
You can hear it, find it in many places, the ford r2 fiesta won the r2 category and how great they did, Fact they announced it at earlier in the event for the crowed they are there to win the rally overall and so. Since the driver was Duplessis and he also local, he grow up there, driver for ford etc. He drove before in the Xgames etc.

So we spit in the cup, being faster then any rally car, there goes the fastest rally car plan for Ford at that event. We were the ONLY competitor who wasnt asked about anything on the podium, also we were they ONLY competitor who wasn't asked AT ALL.
We got our trophy shake hands and get out of here.

So dont blame mitsubishi only.... THey are very very bad with us, granted but the whole rally environment is hostile with the Evos. The rally in the us is about Subaru and Ford as it is.
The RA core is a vermont based grupe which is heavily involved in the subaru and ford. There for Rally America etc. Despite the fact they are the biggest rally organization and they are involved the deepest in rally , the least they talking about is a Rally at this event, never mind the R1 category and the rally it self .

Dealers and they workers kick you out of the forum - parking lots etc. if you go the rally routes instead car shows - red line time attack and so, never mind helping...
Fact, it happen to me.
There is 0 factory help for us.
that is all i can say about my side of the story.

Rob

/ps: every race since we put the X into duty , the race we entered we always finished on the podium, except once when the car did go in limp mode and we couldn't fix it, but who cares right?
oh and i almost forgot, in Tennessee we didnt get a trophy for a third place in our category , since they runned out of trophy, but all the others got they trophy at the ceremony, so we just stood there..../

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 1, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Perhaps is how we approach the media. For example, I would say a good way to get evos to the top is to use the Sie kind of media ken block did. Only, you basically try and develop a viral video calling out block and his subaru. Once that happens and who ever does that claims millions of viewers I think evos will get masses of attention. I mean every one loves controversy.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:27 PM
Balls of Steel

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I really wish Mitsubishi would see how Ford and Subaru are marketing themselves and wake up, for crap's sake. The X Games may not be the purest form of rallying, but they're about as public as rally gets here and it's as good an opportunity as any, IMHO. Take advantage of it.

And yes--put out some viral videos of Evos kicking ***! People don't care unless you give them something to care about. Sure, the gymkhana cars are heavily modified, but when I went to go shopping for a new car, it meant that the Fiestas and Imprezas were kind of cool instead of boring/blah/yuck/just another econobox/etc.

That image helps. Supporting guys who want to race Mitsubishis again would be a great start. I hate seeing Mitsubishi fall into the same "let's concentrate on being sensible and ignore motorsports" trap that Toyota did for so long (and now appears to be trying to correct with things like the LF-A and the FR-S). It's been proven to be an unsuccessful strategy, IMHO.

Last edited by ninjacoco; Aug 1, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

what are you talking about x-games being a joke (for rally)? /sarcasm

The other day my co-worker was watching a Ken Block video and made some mention about how he came out of nowhere to rank so well in Rally. I said, he is obviously well funded (must be nice to write it all off) but in the world of Rally, such as WRC, he really isn't much of a blip. He swore up and down about his ranking until I shut him up with the standings over the past few years.

As much as the x-games are a joke (again, for rally) it at least puts rally somewhere on the map in the US. It is unfortunate that doesn't take advantage of it.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
More factory help in all forms of racing with Mitsubishi's would be so much more beneficial, but sadly there seems to be little interest from the top.

OP: Definitely you would need some upgrades to compete with a Fiesta that can do 0-60 in 2 seconds or whatever they quote. I think they are at 575 crank HP in a very light car, you would likely need a 2.2L setup with 700-800 crank HP to be in the hunt.

I think is really missing the boat, have the high MPG models in the lineup, but show that the performance models can run with the best too. It's what brings the buyers into the dealership and when they can't necessarily buy the model they want they might still leave with a lower priced one.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The Evo problem isn't a US only problem its a global problem. Yeah you have Evos winning Group N and winning rallies outside WRC but if you look past the one or two Evos near the top the next 5-10 cars are usually Imprezas or Fords.

Why? Subaru and Ford made their rally programs accessible and affordable. You can go and rent a ProDrive setup Subaru for a rally with a full rally team for considerably less than wrenching a rental 05 Lancer WRC away from MML. Ditto for parts...way easier to get your hands on spares for either.

As said above, Mitsubishi have to decide they want to be serious about motorsports and understand the importance of pushing the brand again. Then we'll see Evos in the sport again.

Quick Reply: EVOs embarrased at X-Games...