Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Suggestions for braking and aero

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Ouch glad you were able to walk away from it.

With that kinda of damage I'm guessing its a total loss? Plans to keep it and maybe cage it or is that still up in the air?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch, sorry to see that and glad you're ok. Story behind what happened?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Ouch glad you were able to walk away from it.

With that kinda of damage I'm guessing its a total loss? Plans to keep it and maybe cage it or is that still up in the air?
Considered a total loss at this point. I'll either part it out and junk it or potentially look for an Evo shell that I can switch the guts to and build it completely/properly from the ground-up (cage, race seat, HANS, and everything else that I had not yet done). I am considering the 2nd option, and I have some folks encouraging me to stick with it, but I need to see the in-car video to understand what I did wrong and how to avoid it in the future.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:31 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
****ty, dude. Sorry to see, but glad you are okay.
Keep it. Build it better,stronger, faster.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh you're kidding me! *sigh* sucks...

Glad your are okay man.

Brakes were too good and back end got light? Oversteer?

Last edited by SWOLN; Jul 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Oh you're kidding me! *sigh* sucks...

Glad your are okay man.

Brakes were too good and back end got light? Oversteer?
I don't know yet, but I've been told that I put two slightly off and got some dirt on the very hot Hoosiers, which then led to a cascading effect across the next two turns where I also went off trying to gain control. I won't know until I see the video, and even then I may not really know.

As for your other question, that actually was a big problem the whole time. My rear end was so light on the two biggest braking areas (one was from 120mph and the other from 145mph) that I was basically fishtailing and couldn't turn in until I righted the ship. I know our brake bias is bad (and the Essex kit is supposed to help that a little), but I don't know how to deal with it - through aero/downforce? I will have to put some research and thought into that if I do this again.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Damn!

Sorry to see this, dude.

Long time EvoM alumni!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry to see that happened.

Typically adding a bit more rear "toe in" will help stabilize the rear at braking threshold, the factory amount is there for a reason and often I see people doing zero rear toe and finding that out after the fact.

You can also get more rear Aero compared to the front to keep the car more stable at the cost of getting a bit of understeer if you go too far. It's possible that even adding a gurney flap on the stock rear wing would swing the balance to a safer setup but an aftermarket low drag high downforce wing that is adjustable for AOA is the best way to go.

Lower (softer) spring rates in the rear relative to the front will help shift the car's balance to more understeer mid corner. Lower (softer) rebound and compression settings in the rear will also alter initial turn in and exits of corners to more understeer.

Softer rear sway bar helps settle down the rear and balance can be fine tuned with tire pressure adjustments.

Last edited by Hiboost; Jul 22, 2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warr-
I'm NASA's CI and was briefed on the incident by the track and other drivers. By the time I went to check on you, you were being transported. Hit me up on PM as I also know someone with a vehicle you may want to check out, located in Central Jerz.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I don't know yet, but I've been told that I put two slightly off and got some dirt on the very hot Hoosiers, which then led to a cascading effect across the next two turns where I also went off trying to gain control. I won't know until I see the video, and even then I may not really know.

As for your other question, that actually was a big problem the whole time. My rear end was so light on the two biggest braking areas (one was from 120mph and the other from 145mph) that I was basically fishtailing and couldn't turn in until I righted the ship. I know our brake bias is bad (and the Essex kit is supposed to help that a little), but I don't know how to deal with it - through aero/downforce? I will have to put some research and thought into that if I do this again.
Maybe starting off with street tires would have been better. A light rear end shouldn't need to be compensated with aero into a braking zone.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

The infamous Warrtalon evo goes down!

You've had that thing for so long! Sorry to see!

Originally Posted by shuttlegoose
Maybe starting off with street tires would have been better. A light rear end shouldn't need to be compensated with aero into a braking zone.
In your last sentence, are you implying that he should be going straight so aero shouldn't be a factor? If so - trailbraking?

I don't know what he's been up to to judge what tires he should be on but with those front brakes and slicks, that rear end is going to get really light on heavy braking and I think could definitely use some rear downforce...
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
damn sucks to see, glad your ok. Did this happen at NJMP?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
The infamous Warrtalon evo goes down!

You've had that thing for so long! Sorry to see!

In your last sentence, are you implying that he should be going straight so aero shouldn't be a factor? If so - trailbraking?

I don't know what he's been up to to judge what tires he should be on but with those front brakes and slicks, that rear end is going to get really light on heavy braking and I think could definitely use some rear downforce...
Idk how much downforce would play a role in affecting trail breaking into turn one at thunderbolt or keeping the rear end on the ground into a breaking zone slowing down below <60mph.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

There is only one way to stop the evo "dance" under hard braking, replace all the bushings in your FRONT lower control arms with something stiffer. It will feel like a new car. BTW, sorry to hear about the wreck. Good luck on the rebuild.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for braking and aero