Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

evo setup for autox stock class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the Evo you definitely do want to increase front camber. IMO, you also want to increase rear camber. More camber all around will lead to better cornering grip, period. It's better to use toe (or to a lesser extent, tire pressures) to balance the car rather than giving up crucial camber at the rear. On the stock tires, this is not as critical, but with R compounds, your tires will last longer and heat up more evenly if you maximize camber at each corner (within the limits of the stock suspension adjustment).

And with respect to the rear toe-in, increasing rear toe-in will increase understeer. If you want to make the car rotate better, go with zero rear toe, or if you're a bit brave, a bit of toe-out.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 01:36 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm... then I think i'll keep my current setup...

Front camber: max at -1.9/-1.8
Front toe: 0
Rear camber: -1.4/-1.5 (factory)
Rear toe in: 1/32"

I'll play with tire pressure a bit more

Originally posted by jbrennen
On the Evo you definitely do want to increase front camber. IMO, you also want to increase rear camber. More camber all around will lead to better cornering grip, period. It's better to use toe (or to a lesser extent, tire pressures) to balance the car rather than giving up crucial camber at the rear. On the stock tires, this is not as critical, but with R compounds, your tires will last longer and heat up more evenly if you maximize camber at each corner (within the limits of the stock suspension adjustment).

And with respect to the rear toe-in, increasing rear toe-in will increase understeer. If you want to make the car rotate better, go with zero rear toe, or if you're a bit brave, a bit of toe-out.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

JT-KGY

what was your fastest clean time that day?
Old Jan 31, 2004, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

That sat at CA speedway?
~55.6s...but I only did it once... after that was a few of 56's...

Were you there?

Originally posted by n00dle
JT-KGY

what was your fastest clean time that day?
Old Jan 31, 2004, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Same here... best was 55.403. Bone stock everything, even with spare in the trunk to boot. First time out with it and wanted to see what it could do stock. I left before you started your runs. BTW, I'm the guy that gave you a ride.

Last edited by n00dle; Jan 31, 2004 at 08:12 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Wow.. you did much better than I did... consider that I have one
more degree of camber up front..

Originally posted by n00dle
Same here... best was 55.403. Bone stock everything, even with spare in the trunk to boot. First time out with it and wanted to see what it could do stock. I left before you started your runs. BTW, I'm the guy that gave you a ride.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

My tires took a good beating
Next stop The Streets of Willow Springs hopefully later this month
Old Feb 1, 2004, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Good Morning,

I have had 4 alignments in my car since new. (Bought in August). Fortunately I have an friend in the business. It all comes down to trial and error and what feels best to you and your driving style.

I am very happy with what I have found, and the car is as predictable as ever.

Tire pressures are one of the most important parts of your set-up, because this allows you to fine tune the setup at the track and after each run, and also gives you a base to start (IE: Checking rollover, etc etc)

Is anyone going to Ft. Myers National Tour? Just curious
Old Feb 1, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by fastmarsh
Is anyone going to Ft. Myers National Tour? Just curious
I had been thinking about it, but decided to do the Atlanta ProSolo the week before instead. Atlanta is quite a bit closer for me than Ft. Myers...

I'm still wondering where are the tremendous hordes of Evos which were predicted to flock into ESP this year? Between Atlanta and Ft. Myers, only one Evo entry out of both events, and I'm running Street Modified.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

So whats the final alignment setting you have?

Originally posted by fastmarsh
Good Morning,

I have had 4 alignments in my car since new. (Bought in August). Fortunately I have an friend in the business. It all comes down to trial and error and what feels best to you and your driving style.

I am very happy with what I have found, and the car is as predictable as ever.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Predator Motorsport (www.predatormotorsport.com) will revalve your stock shocks to autox specs. The owner, Kumar Viswalingam, has run autox for years in his Miata, was a shock engineer for Koni for several years, is now a shock engineer with KYB and, in that capacity, went to Japan and worked on the US version of the Evo VIII. In other words, he knows what he is doing.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Gents just something to add and a quick question-

As far as adjustments done at the rear the factory shop manual points out that whenever you change one setting in the rear (say camber) that the toe will be affected and needs to be re-checked and visa-versa, so the rear needs some double and triple checking to be sure its correct.

On the front end however there is no such warning so my question is this; if you change the camber setting (arrow on connecting bolt) from -1 to -2 will this also affect the toe on the front to a point that it would require an alignment shop to have to double check it (again)?

Thanks
Rick
Old Mar 30, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, you would have to re-align the front after changing the
camber. I had major toe-in after the front camber change.

Originally posted by BatEvo
Gents just something to add and a quick question-

On the front end however there is no such warning so my question is this; if you change the camber setting (arrow on connecting bolt) from -1 to -2 will this also affect the toe on the front to a point that it would require an alignment shop to have to double check it (again)?

Thanks
Rick
Old Mar 30, 2004, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks JT.

Rick
Old Mar 30, 2004, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

I'm a noob hoping to get out there this year, and this info is great. One question: I think one of the earlier posts mentioned springs, but then no one else talked about them, and they aren't in the list of allowed mods. Are these allowed? Or what class are they allowed in? Do they even help? Thanks.

Quick Reply: evo setup for autox stock class