Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

evo setup for autox stock class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh, yeah....
Different people seem to like greatly different tire pressures, even within the Evo X community.

I like 46psi front, 48 psi rear. Most tires I've had on my X had a little mark to tell you where the scuffing should come to on the shoulder. At 44psi in the front, the scuffing started to wear those marks off. At 46psi, it looks about right.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlIgner should know he needs to adjust toe after camber. That's a given. Is he saying at -1.5 (or some higher camber than what he left you with) he couldn't get toe back to zero? THAT sounds a little ridiculous to me.

If he is saying he could only find the -1.1 than that makes a little more sense. Sometimes you gotta go a little nuts to get this last .1ths for camber. Loosen every bolt on the strut (top and bottom). Mash the top in and tighten. Than has someone mash the wheel negative camber forcefully while you tighten bolts
Old Dec 29, 2010, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S1MPSONS
AlIgner should know he needs to adjust toe after camber. That's a given. Is he saying at -1.5 (or some higher camber than what he left you with) he couldn't get toe back to zero?
Yeah, that's what he was saying. He couldn't get the toe back to zero.

Maybe the adjustable parts on the X don't have as great an adjustment range as the previous Evos.

I'm also open to the possibility that he wasn't an expert. It was a tire shop, not a race shop. I had to hunt for a shop with a laser that would go under my air dam, and even that shop probably doesn't get sports cars or special requests very often.

I've been to more than one alignment guy that didn't think to loosen all the bolts at once. This one guy in New Mexico was so bad I thought I could do a better alignment in my driveway by eyeballing it.

Last edited by BluEvo210; Dec 29, 2010 at 05:17 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:57 AM

I've had decent luck with sears auto believe it or not. just make sure the guy speaks your language and thank him/her many times in advance for precision.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S1MPSONS
I've had decent luck with sears auto believe it or not. just make sure the guy speaks your language and thank him/her many times in advance for precision.
Take care of the guys and they'll take care of you. Applies to life in general
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:25 AM

A $10 tip for good service from a sears guy usually helps too.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:03 PM

Man I wish I would have read this thread before today. Just ran my first auto/x event and didn't do so great. My tires were way under pressurized and I can't believe how much I was sliding around. Understeer/oversteer Ughh. I can't complain though, I was beating the guy who invited me, so I guess that was a plus.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by JJay
Man I wish I would have read this thread before today. Just ran my first auto/x event and didn't do so great. My tires were way under pressurized and I can't believe how much I was sliding around. Understeer/oversteer Ughh. I can't complain though, I was beating the guy who invited me, so I guess that was a plus.
haha thats always fun
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JJay
Man I wish I would have read this thread before today. Just ran my first auto/x event and didn't do so great. My tires were way under pressurized and I can't believe how much I was sliding around.
Been there, done that. My first autocross was in my 1980 Datsun 210 (wagon) with low tire pressure. The cornering sucked worse than usual, the tires overheated, and then I boiled my brake fluid and couldn't stop!

The Viper worked right, and still killed more cones than me! That was hilarious!

These days I drive on the street with more pressure than what the factory says, and raise it some more for race day!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:03 PM

Yeah for me it was a bad combination of low tire pressure and pi$$ poor driving. I really should have prepped more. What I wasn't really ready for was how quick everything happens. I worked the first group and drove the second so I wasn't able to get settled down and watch the others before I went out. By my fourth run I was starting to settle and get into a groove but it all just flies right by. The miata's and comparable cars were running 64-68 seconds and my last run was a 68 with 2 second penalty for a cone so 70. After checking out my tires though "wow" can't believe how much damage they took.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEvo210
Oh, yeah....
Different people seem to like greatly different tire pressures, even within the Evo X community.

I like 46psi front, 48 psi rear. Most tires I've had on my X had a little mark to tell you where the scuffing should come to on the shoulder. At 44psi in the front, the scuffing started to wear those marks off. At 46psi, it looks about right.

Are those cold or hot pressures?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tmaddox
Are those cold or hot pressures?
Yes.

Once I decided on those pressures, I started off each event with those pressures. On each run, the front tires gained 2 or 3 psi, so I was letting that pressure out between runs. The rear tires didn't gain any pressure (they have a lot less work to do).
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where those street tires or R compound tires?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tmaddox
where those street tires or R compound tires?
Street tires.
Most of the time I've raced my Evo, I've been racing a stock car in STU. Stock suspension, stock exhaust, alignment within stock specifications.

I've noticed some Evo owners talking about having higher pressure in the front tires than the rear, but they're usually on STU or SP suspensions, with front camber of -3 or more.

Since I put the rear swaybar on my car, I've gotten better results with the front and rear tire pressures being almost equal. A couple of months after I installed the rear swaybar, it was legal for the Stock category.
Old May 28, 2013, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Do any of you guys run ballast/weight in your
vehicles for events?

Im getting rid of some bilsteins and had them packaged in my trunk, long story short, my car has never handled so well around town, power distribution felt very neutral, and cornering was sharper and crisper. 70lbs of weight in rear.
Thinking about taking out rear seats and backing and seeing if it still feels just as good

Quick Reply: evo setup for autox stock class