Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

evo setup for autox stock class

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychoAmbrosia
Do any of you guys run ballast/weight in your
vehicles for events?

Im getting rid of some bilsteins and had them packaged in my trunk, long story short, my car has never handled so well around town, power distribution felt very neutral, and cornering was sharper and crisper. 70lbs of weight in rear.
Thinking about taking out rear seats and backing and seeing if it still feels just as good

As a general rule, for autoX, less weight = faster. No one who is competitive in AutoX runs ballast, unless they need it to make the minimum weight for their class.

Adding 70lbs to the rear of an Evo would change the F/R weight balance very negligably - from 61%f/39%r to 59%f/41%r. If you felt a difference in handling, it's likely it was just in your head. But if you really want to try it at autoX in the future, just run with a full fuel tank for the extra 70 lbs in the lower rear.

The rear seat lower and upper pads weigh nothing, maybe 6 lbs total if you are lucky, and removing them would be illegal in stock classes.
Old May 29, 2013, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fuel weighs about 6.2 pounds per gallon, a full tank is 13 gallons or so? So an empty tank to a full tank is a weigh difference of 80 pounds. Try running autocross nearly empty and full.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tmaddox
fuel weighs about 6.2 pounds per gallon, a full tank is 13 gallons or so? So an empty tank to a full tank is a weigh difference of 80 pounds. Try running autocross nearly empty and full.
I usually ended up doing that, whether I wanted to or not.
When I was autocrossing in Alabama (Wiregrass Region SCCA) I'd leave for the event with a full tank of gas, and arrive with about 3/4 tank.
At the end of the event, I'd leave with the low fuel warning light on.

I couldn't tell a difference in the handling from the beginning of the event to the end.

Last edited by BluEvo210; Aug 15, 2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychoAmbrosia
Do any of you guys run ballast/weight in your vehicles for events?

I'm getting rid of some Bilsteins and had them packaged in my trunk...long story short, my car has never handled so well around town, power distribution felt very neutral, and cornering was sharper and crisper. 70lbs of weight in rear.
Thinking about taking out rear seats and backing and seeing if it still feels just as good
I see where you're coming from...As much as Mitsubishi made a big deal about things they did for Evo X's weight distribution, it's still based on a FWD car, and still quite nose-heavy.
(My perception of this is no doubt exaggerated by the fact that my other cars are all RWD, with less nose-heavy weight distribution, less work for the front tires, and much better road feel.)

I don't know what you've tried, but rather than working on the weight distribution, you could try to get the same effects from alignment or adjustable dampers, or a rear swaybar upgrade now that it's legal for the Stock class.

If you want to do something for the weight distribution, my opinion is that you should do what you can to take weight off the front...Which is difficult.

It already has the battery and washer bottle in the back. It has an aluminum roof, hood, and front fenders. Carbon fiber only saves you a couple of pounds, and costs a truckload of money.

Adding weight is adding to the work your tires already have, trying to turn and stop a load of 3500+ lbs. It isn't the same in spirited street driving as it is in competition. (Believe me, the handling is a bit different on a mountain road than on an autocross course. I suspect it's made for the mountain road...)

My Evo's handling tightened up a bit when I met up with a racing buddy who did alignments, and we put some muscle into the front alignment and got the front camber to a whole -1.3*

(Now that I did some STU mods, I have a Whiteline rear swaybar, front camber bolts, and -1.8* in the front. Best handling this car has ever had, but it can still skid the front tires if I overheat them.)

Last edited by BluEvo210; Aug 15, 2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old Jul 25, 2013, 03:25 PM

Anybody

Does anybody know about RallySport competition in So. Cal?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 03:47 PM

check your area

I'm not sure, maybe check your area?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr.Drivemfast
Does anybody know about RallySport competition in So. Cal?
Do you mean rallycross, like a autocross on dirt? If so:
http://www.calclubrallyx.com/

Also just did an event that had grip and RX. I had the fastest time attack Evo:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0054827&type=3

More info:
http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

This thread is for stock class autocross, so maybe start a new thread or search rallycross?

Rick

Last edited by SS RX7 r2; Jul 25, 2013 at 04:22 PM.