Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Advice setting up SM Evo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Except my car is admittedly off it's AX game over the past few years
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Except my car is admittedly off it's AX game over the past few years
Whatever man, it at least trophies every year. That's saying something.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about some brake ducts/canards to keep them puppies cooled!! You can probably make your own if your into DIY!! I believe Mitsubishi sells a set of brake cooling ducts or Binary sells a kit too. Goodluck!!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dude

Also, slicks aren't really an option. Time is precious, I'm lazy, and carting around dirty tires in the evo and changing them in a parking lot is not my idea of fun. Yes, I know that is the cheapest way to drop time, but I'm not that dedicated. That and it would exaggerate my inadequate spring rates. I realize my AD-07's are several years old tech, but they were cheap and still have treadlife left on them. Once worn out I think I'll go with the Star Specs or RS3's unless I can find the AD08's for a deal, since they seem to be somewhat more costly.
If this is the case. Then don't worry about any of it. Do what you want modification wise and enjoy driving the car!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kasaper
How about some brake ducts/canards to keep them puppies cooled!! You can probably make your own if your into DIY!! I believe Mitsubishi sells a set of brake cooling ducts or Binary sells a kit too. Goodluck!!
I don't think you have to worry about overheating your pads or rotors on an AutoX course.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kasaper
Just extra weight. I would take weight savings over most things in autocross. Canards, you would have to talk to Jarrod on if he thinks they help at 60mph. Although I believe his front bumper is worth $2000-3000 with canards and splitter

One of these days, Jeremy will pull that heavy wing off
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Try the Weir 12 plate diff upgrade. If you're a DIYer you can't beat it for the money. Makes a world of difference in the balance of the car. AutoX and on the track.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pshooter
Try the Weir 12 plate diff upgrade. If you're a DIYer you can't beat it for the money. Makes a world of difference in the balance of the car. AutoX and on the track.
That's exactly what I've got. Best mod I've done, to date.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
To be fastest with the least amount of $$:

1 - anything you can do to get more front camber (camber plates for oem shocks)
I agree with Jarrod, Grice, Ratt. Front camber, coil overs, tires, rear bar and a diff.

Check out our camber/caster plates. The are optimized for AX, and also provide caster adjustment. The plates also allow for much more neg camber that others (-6deg), that way you can gain tire clearance to the strut, by setting the stock eccentrics in the positive position.

Fits stock struts and most coil-overs.

Rick
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

I didn't think that opening a new thread was worth while, so talking about SM Evos...

I bought a 2010 Evo GSR last year as a daily driver. I decided to showcase parts we sell at the shop and make this car into a "streetable" TimeAttack car- in street tire class.
It has a ton of mods and I can still appreciate it for daily driving.

This summer I think that I just about had enough campaigning my trusty DS ITR for tours and Nationals so I was thinking of bringing the Evo out for AX.
I like the AC for travelling and the cruise control....both lacking in the R- 100+ degrees 10hours + at the wheel make no sense anymore.

I know the X is not a SM or BSP winner as a car, but I suppose the car could trophy with the right mods and driver?

Right now the mods are geared towards making the car stick on the road course- pics on the "show us your track Evo".
I have Clubsports, Whiteline bars and RCK. 18x9.5 wheels and 255/35 R6s...need to see what is the A6 size that will clear without cutting or flaring...

Motor has Up and low pipe, AMS intercooler and wide mouth down pipe and HF cat. Its tuned but needs to go back to the dyno for more tweaks.

My fuel surge tank and RCK make me BSP ilegal so SM seems to be the way.

Times at East coast events I looked at put BSP and SM close so I guess SM isn't at its potential.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talk to EVODave if he's still on the site. He has the fastest X I've seen and he's beaten me several times. Definitely a car that can trophy and contend for a win in SM at Nationals.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

285 hoosiers will fit without an issue. I've be looking at 315's if i had an X.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

My buddy runs 315s on his BSP Evo X, and I think he got the idea from EvoDave, so it's definitely doable.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

Ok that sounds encouraging. I guess my first set will be 285s and go from there.
Is there any special alignment you think? It seems that the car is very pushy....some people tell me frt bar full stiff rear soft...which is the opposite of what I do to my Civic racecar....
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BBQman
Ok that sounds encouraging. I guess my first set will be 285s and go from there.
Is there any special alignment you think? It seems that the car is very pushy....some people tell me frt bar full stiff rear soft...which is the opposite of what I do to my Civic racecar....
3-4 negative in the front
1-2 negative in the rear

Depends on what you like.

Quick Reply: Advice setting up SM Evo