Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Anybody going to the Rolex 24 hour?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody going to the Rolex 24 hour?

I am thinking about going to see the Daytona 24 hour sports car race. I've never been there before. If anybody has advice about good motels, ticket logistics, etc I'd like to hear it.

Can I expect to simply drive there and find a motel or is it mandatory to have something lined up first?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

I’ve been to the 24 three time in the last 6 years. I can’t say much about hotels because we had friends who lived in Daytona. What we did was camp out on the infield of the track. Get to the track early if you want to camp, maybe even a day or so early and get in line if you want to do this as it may fill up. You can bring in tents, food, firewood and BBQs and other comforts. If you want hotel you should probably make reservations early. You should check the tracks web site for ticket info. There are ok sit down places and fast food all around the track. The airport is about a mile away.

Camping at the track is great for several reasons. The first is that it is a 24 hour race and you have to pace yourself. It is nice to be able to go back to camp, have a bite and maybe lay down for a few minutes. Really cool things happen at night. You want to be at the track when it is all lit up and you can see the brakes and exhausts glowing. It’s magical. The best place to watch the race is from the infield anyway, so you might as well have all your stuff there. All the cool concessions and souvenir stands are in the infield. You can get good prices on art and model cars at Daytona. They have autograph sessions and show cars and they are all in the infield. I got Jackie Stewart’s autograph the last time I was there. They have showers in the infield that you can use. They may be cold and dirty, but they are there. Be sure the bring a rain coat, pants and boots if you have them!!! Each time I was there it rained for a good part of the race. Also bring warm clothes. It may be Florida, but it still gets cool at night. Bring a scanner and go to the Racing Radios truck and buy a frequency list. This is a fun way to enjoy the race and you can usually find the track PA or the Speed announce team frequency so you know what is going on. You hear some really funny stuff on the announce team frequency when they are on commercial. You kind of get a good idea of how they really think of someone.

If you haven’t been to a sports car race they are really fun. Nice cars (even though I’m not thrilled with Grand Am) and you have reasonable access to the drivers and the garage areas. After the race they also bring the winning cars up to Daytona USA and you can get a good look at them.

Have a great time and best wishes,
f86sabre

Last edited by f86sabre; Jan 10, 2004 at 11:07 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Buy the infield ticket, gotcha. I saw Jackie Stewart race once near my home in Upper Marlboro, MD. They used to have a sedan endurance race each year, it was the beginning of the Trans-Am era. Colin Chapman brought over the Lotus Cortina with Stewart. If I remember right the motor blew up in the first half hour. I always suspected that Stewart didn't really want to run the race and beat on the car. I think Bob Tullius won that year in a Dodge Dart.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, you go way back! I would have loved to have seen Stewart and the drivers of his era race. I would have really have liked to have seen the Trans Am and CAN-AM cars in their prime. It sounds like you’re a veteran fan of sports car racing, so most of my advice was unneeded. Have a great time!

Best wishes,
f86sabre