Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Complete Spec Built Race cars - co-ownership... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Rally car rental is generally expensive. But a same token you don't. Rent a $50K car roaming around on. Circuit or. AutoX track.

It is more expensive since a car is more money usually + service crew + spare parts + rally runs for usually 3 days. + rally runs 400+ miles+ insurance for public road and racing , etc
Plus they transport the car for you and this goes on and on.
It is really a turn a key deal, even they do a logistics for you too...
But what I know is waaay cheaper then a MML rent. And a same time is not a grupeN car , it is a grupe. A. Or open class car.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like the idea of a co-owned race car. There are so many events down here in DFW I doubt there will be many scheduling conflicts. And I know there are a lot of people that want to get into racing, but are hesitant for two reasons: they are either too afraid to wreck their daily driver or it is too expensive to build the car alone.

The problem has been stated many times and I believe it is true. The idea is great until you bring in the human aspect. People are just too different and I'm sure there will be personal issues from the get-go.

Kevin, I think the co-owned car is a good idea if two people approached you to build a car for them. Otherwise, I don't think it is a good idea for you to encourage people to get together and commit to a race car.

My personal recommendation is a rental race car. I see it going this way:
1) Build a NASA TTB prepped Evo VIII with an emphasis on reliability. Don't install a cage.
2) Rent the car out on a daily basis.
3) You need to ride in the car at all times. This is for coaching purposes and to make sure they don't go too crazy.
4) Provide data and video acquisition to provide feedback between runs.
5) Keep the power to around 300whp and use street tires. This is plenty for a novice and even an intermediate driver.

I would price this at about $500-800 per day. The driver will only pay for track entrance fees and fuel.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

The most probelm I can see here is if you get this project with rookies. Sure it will be easy to get them involved, but the fact is they do not know what they are heading into. They only know and see at that moment is the car zooming around track when they are driving it. Nice picture for sure , but that is a 10% of the racing in overall. The rest we all know ...

The other thing who is already seasoned, will be very unlikelly get involved such a project.
Why? Because they know the rest of the 90%... LOL
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'll co buy a 125cc shifter kart with someone!!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
I'll co buy a 125cc shifter kart with someone!!
i am in
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

I would co-own a lemons car. Going into it you know its gonna get destroyed and at the end of the race when you are trying to push whats left of the car off on the next guy while having a beer after a 12 hr stint.... Sounds golden!

Now I own a fully prepped competitive car, it took 5 years to build. Looking back it was expensive, looking forward there is no end in sight. Had I done it all at once, I would have seriously held back on how aggressive I drive, I think the same goes if I rented or co owned. I would hold back,and that is just not fun racing!!!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Rentals for PP are unique because you have folks coming in from overseas who simply don't want to bother with the customs mess involved with shipping a car into and out of this country. Its cheaper for them to rent instead. In addition, I'd say most of the rentals I've seen or heard about are rented to "bucket list" drivers, not folks expecting to rent a car capable of a win.

I don't think I'd ever consider co-owning a car. IMO, if a $40k race car isn't in your budget, build a $10k one instead. If that isn't in the budget, consider getting involved with a Chump Car or LeMons team instead. I say this as someone who's build a cool car over the course of 4 years and still can't afford to rally it at the level I'd like to, so I'm building a much cheaper car (both in build costs and ongoing operating costs).

In the rally community we see people all the time who stretch their budgets on the build, run for one season then disappear for good. Sustainable racing is what's important, and that means racing a car that you can afford to wreck from time to time.

Dave
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What would happen if one of the co owners breaks the car and for whatever reason the car isnt fixed in time for the other co owners' upcoming events? Stuff like this needs to be taken into account. Maybe something like instead of co owning a car a customer would rather subscribe to a service you offer where you offer a car prepped to race for them. I just dont know how feasible that would be unless you had quite a few spare cars available. my .02