Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

BSP rule clarifications

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
BSP rule clarifications

Just to start, yes, I have searched this forum and read a few threads relating to the subject. Merely, there are some things that are not written in the rules that I would like clarified (or I am just missing them).

Namely:
  1. Can you replace sensors that read to the ECU? IE: replace the stock MAP sensor with an aftermarket one for the purpose of a SD tune. Can you remove the MAF or would it have to stay in place?
  2. Does the boost control have to come from the ECU (like stock) or are all types of boost controllers permissible?
  3. There is not a lot written on the intake systems in the rules. A new intake pipe is ok but does it have to retain the stock airbox? What about a ported throttle body? Intercooler piping?
  4. Modifying the stock undertray is against the rules so open O2 dumps will not work?
  5. Is modifying the rear differential allowed? The other threads make it sound like this is the case.
  6. Who makes intercoolers that will work for BSP? (PPI is all I have found so far)
  7. I can remove the EGR and EVAP canister correct?
  8. When will the 2012 rulebook for SCCA solo be released?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
Just to start, yes, I have searched this forum and read a few threads relating to the subject. Merely, there are some things that are not written in the rules that I would like clarified (or I am just missing them).

Namely:
  1. Can you replace sensors that read to the ECU? IE: replace the stock MAP sensor with an aftermarket one for the purpose of a SD tune. Can you remove the MAF or would it have to stay in place?
  2. Does the boost control have to come from the ECU (like stock) or are all types of boost controllers permissible?
  3. There is not a lot written on the intake systems in the rules. A new intake pipe is ok but does it have to retain the stock airbox? What about a ported throttle body? Intercooler piping?
  4. Modifying the stock undertray is against the rules so open O2 dumps will not work?
  5. Is modifying the rear differential allowed? The other threads make it sound like this is the case.
  6. Who makes intercoolers that will work for BSP? (PPI is all I have found so far)
  7. I can remove the EGR and EVAP canister correct?
answers:
  1. Yes, engine control is open in BSP, including sensors.
  2. any boost control is legal.
  3. intake is open, so aftermarket manifolds, piping, TB's are all legal. just can't port or coat the turbo.
  4. modifying the stock undertray is not legal, nor is an o2 dump. the exhaust has to exit behind the driver.
  5. differentials are open.
  6. I haven't verified but I think the smaller ETS intercoolers might work also.
  7. EGR and Evap are removable.
  8. who knows.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

I have got another question.

A lot of downpipes require either spacers or flattening on the subframe brace. Does this put the car straight into SM? If so, what exhaust downpipes work that do not require modifying of the subframe brace?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Also, what about tapping and plugging the EGR port in the head?

It seems the engine is pretty much off limits for the most part but the rules state that "Emission control devices may be modified or removed." If it is illegal to tap/plug the exhaust port for EGR in the head, then any aftermarket intake manifold would be illegal in BSP.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nollij
I spoke with the Solo National office last week and they said the 2012 Solo rulebook will be released mid-to-late January 2012.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget we are no longer in BSP =/ now ASP. And at least for this year ASP and SM's PAX are nearly identical.