Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Prepping for 2012 Autocross and need a few questions answered..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Prepping for 2012 Autocross and need a few questions answered..

First a little about me. 2011 was my first year ever competitively racing my 2006 Evo MR. In the past I have drag raced a few times but to be honest drag racing this car was kind of boring. In February I began racing in the local chapter auto crosses in BSP. After the first event my wife decided she wanted to give it a go, and in March she co-drove the car with me. She loved it and we co-drove the car for the rest of the year. In the meantime I ended up winning the BSP championship for the year. It was a great time and I can't wait for February to come back around so we can get back behind the wheel.

So now the car is going under the knife to prep for the new rules, and us getting bumped to ASP. I have some questions that need clarification, and I look to the EvoM crowd for help..

15.10.G - Intake water systems are allowed
Does this mean that a meth kit is legal if it is piped into the intake system? Or what about a Water/Meth mix? Or water only? I seem to remember hearing that meth kits are prohibited, but this rule states differently.. Please explain.

15.10.C.4.d - No changes are permitted to blow-off/pop-off valves. Are they referring to a wastegate? If so, please reference 15.10.C.4.f - Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and electronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be altered or modified except as prohibited herein. Boost pressure changes resulting from authorized changes are permitted. The reason I ask is that we are looking at changing the wastegate actuator and spring. The wastegate itself would not be changed in size or anything. Please clarify..

15.10.AA - Camshafts and related parts must remain standard except that alternate cam drive pulleys or gears may be used to adjust cam timing if no variable cam and/or valve timing system exists as standard. Type of cam drive (chain, belt, gear) must remain as standard. Alternate parts of the same general type (e.g. roller chain in place of “silent” chain) may be substituted. Mating parts (block, heads, covers, retainers, etc.) may not be altered. Vehicles equipped with a variable cam and/or valve timing system as standard may use alternate computer calibration to adjust cam and/or valve timing but may not change or substitute cam drive components (hardware). This only speaks about the camshafts and related components. I cannot find anywhere that speaks about the valve train itself. We would like to raise the rev limiter and to do it safely we were looking at valves, springs and retainers. We would not be changing the camshafts. Would this be legal?

I failed to find anything that talks about changing the headgasket or installing stronger head studs. Is this legal?

At what boost level will the stock Evo IX turbocharger lose its efficiency? Any proof or links to other discussions about this would be great. I need to do some research on this...

Thanks for all the help.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:31 AM

anything?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by psycko069
First a little about me. 2011 was my first year ever competitively racing my 2006 Evo MR. In the past I have drag raced a few times but to be honest drag racing this car was kind of boring. In February I began racing in the local chapter auto crosses in BSP. After the first event my wife decided she wanted to give it a go, and in March she co-drove the car with me. She loved it and we co-drove the car for the rest of the year. In the meantime I ended up winning the BSP championship for the year. It was a great time and I can't wait for February to come back around so we can get back behind the wheel.

So now the car is going under the knife to prep for the new rules, and us getting bumped to ASP. I have some questions that need clarification, and I look to the EvoM crowd for help..

15.10.G - Intake water systems are allowed
Does this mean that a meth kit is legal if it is piped into the intake system? Or what about a Water/Meth mix? Or water only? I seem to remember hearing that meth kits are prohibited, but this rule states differently.. Please explain.

15.10.C.4.d - No changes are permitted to blow-off/pop-off valves. Are they referring to a wastegate? By the definitions in section 12, our cars actually have a compressor bypass valve, which is legal to change. See 12.14 for definition of "Blow-off Valve"
If so, please reference 15.10.C.4.f - Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and electronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be altered or modified except as prohibited herein. Boost pressure changes resulting from authorized changes are permitted. The reason I ask is that we are looking at changing the wastegate actuator and spring. The wastegate itself would not be changed in size or anything. Please clarify.. My understanding is that the wastegate actuator is part of the boost control system and can be changed

15.10.AA - Camshafts and related parts must remain standard except that alternate cam drive pulleys or gears may be used to adjust cam timing if no variable cam and/or valve timing system exists as standard. Type of cam drive (chain, belt, gear) must remain as standard. Alternate parts of the same general type (e.g. roller chain in place of “silent” chain) may be substituted. Mating parts (block, heads, covers, retainers, etc.) may not be altered. Vehicles equipped with a variable cam and/or valve timing system as standard may use alternate computer calibration to adjust cam and/or valve timing but may not change or substitute cam drive components (hardware). This only speaks about the camshafts and related components. I cannot find anywhere that speaks about the valve train itself. We would like to raise the rev limiter and to do it safely we were looking at valves, springs and retainers. We would not be changing the camshafts. Would this be legal? I believe the intent of the first sentence of AA is to say that upgraded valvetrain is not legal, but I could be wrong.

I failed to find anything that talks about changing the headgasket or installing stronger head studs. Is this legal? Upgraded headgaskets and head studs are illegal in SP. It's be debated time and time again, but the rules have never been changed.

At what boost level will the stock Evo IX turbocharger lose its efficiency? Any proof or links to other discussions about this would be great. I need to do some research on this...

Thanks for all the help.
As always, if the rules don't say you can do something, explicitly, then you most likely cannot.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
booo evos are getting bumped to ASP?? 8s, 9s, 10s all of them? What other mods does the car have? Rear diff upgraded and ACD tune?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

SSP is getting created for the faster (current) ASP cars, the slower ASP cars are staying behind, and the faster BSP cars are getting bumped to the new ASP. What's left in BSP is the C4 Vette, M3, 350z, etc
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:47 PM

So your interpretations are that a meth system would be legal, a stiffer wastegate actuator would be legal, changing the head studs, head gasket, springs seats and retainers would NOT be legal?? Thanks for the help thus far..

As to answer the question about my current mods. 02 housing, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, test pipe, k&n drop in air filter, Walbro 255 fuel pump, AMS FMIC, AMS LICP, step colder spark plugs, Muellerized coil overs, Power slot rotors and Hawk HP Plus pads, Enkei RPF-1 rims and Hankook Ventus Z-214 stickies in a C-71 compound, and a custom AMS tune. I THINK thats it but I may have missed a thing or two, I don't recall. I have no plans to do an ACD tune or upgrade any drivetrain internals until something breaks. The car has 60k miles and the stock diffs and clutch. Everything still seems to be tight with no slipping that is noticeable.

As for the mods that are already going in during the off season. Full air intake with MAF adaptor, Small Battery Kit, UICP, Rear sway bar with adjustable end links and more than likely a front sway bar with adjustable end links, bolt in cage and a lighter drivers seat and harness.

The plan for 2012 at this point is to be competitive in ASP at the state level, and to begin with some PDX and HPDE to get my feet wet in larger track racing.

More answers and insight would be greatly appreciated for my questions. Any info on what boost levels the stock turbocharger loses efficiency?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:53 PM

Wait??? RJones... You know the Weir boys??? Hmm...
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may have met you at the NCAC this year; our club (Highlands) hosted the event. I was in the dirty yellow Evo on street tires. Too busy helping to run the event to really compete. I also have Chris S.'s 2002 red boosted Miata, if you know him.

I'll tell you what I'm doing next year. The local competition in ASP is sparse, and in regional events the C6 ZO6 Corvettes are well prepped and well driven, so they'll be tough. I normally run in our paxed Pro class, and usually struggle in the small lots we have against Nations-prepared Civics due to the pax difference.

For 2012, the pax index difference between ASP and SM is 0.003. I'm finally getting cams, O2 dump, 10.5 hotside, injectors, and upping the boost myself. I am pretty sure you can do all that you listed in SM. Plus, if you have to take your rear seat out for a bar, that's legal in SM, but not ASP.

I remember that the stock VIII turbo runs into thermal efficiency problems at 26 psi; I don't know if the larger hotside on the IX has the same limits, but I'm sure it's been covered on this site.

Good luck!
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rburris28
I'll tell you what I'm doing next year. The local competition in ASP is sparse, and in regional events the C6 ZO6 Corvettes are well prepped and well driven, so they'll be tough. I normally run in our paxed Pro class, and usually struggle in the small lots we have against Nations-prepared Civics due to the pax difference.

I remember that the stock VIII turbo runs into thermal efficiency problems at 26 psi; I don't know if the larger hotside on the IX has the same limits, but I'm sure it's been covered on this site.
The Z06 will be in SSP, so there's nothing to worry about there.

I don't have any hard data on efficiency, but I know that out here in CA we run anywhere between 27 and 30psi on the stock turbo (running e85) and don't run into any issues.