Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Harness's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even having a cage isn't a guarantee of safety. Google the mustang that flipped over and the crappy cage foot design pushed the cage feet through the floor of the car when it rolled.

IMO, harness bars and seats are fine for an auto-x car. As an instructor, I wouldn't want to get into your car on the track. Basically, if you do flip your car, the harnesses and seats keep your body upright, and if the roof is bashed in, you run the risk of breaking your neck.

Safety equipment in a stock car is meant to work in concert and it does. Is it the best option for tracking a car...absolutely not. Keep in mind that once you start modifying those safety items, its best to make sure all the new items function well together (cage, seats, harnesses, helmets, etc.).

Oh...those Cusco cages are a joke. Don't event think about it...seriously, drop the idea. Best bet for a cage is to talk to people who race in your area and find out who the experts are. Save your pennies, do your research, do the upgrade once, and do it right. Its a whole lot cheaper than doing things over and over.

Dave
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Move
This is the bar i have. It says for use on and off the track but i mean if its not aloud then there really is no point of selling this bar there is really no point in having harness's unless you track your car lol. and i did not buy this bar i got it in a trade deal with the seats and harness's

https://rallyinnovations.com/product...php?prod_id=44
Guys like you buy the bar so of course there's a point in selling it, it's called money, cash, benjamins, green, etc.

Why not use the stock belts with the seats, assuming they can be run safely? A 5-pt harness is designed for use with a cage or roll bar. You need overhead support otherwise there's a risk of spinal compression and/or death in a rollover crash.

Looking at the cusco cage's the prices aren't even that bad. i will defiantly try and get one before my first track day.
Cusco cages are not legal for most racing bodies. They're not designed to be a safety item but rather a show item. They're cages for ricers and wannabes, not people legitimately concerned with their safety.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Okay thanks for the info a friend of mine told me about a local guy here that can fab me a cage.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Seriously, do any sort of searching on here. I know for a fact there are a ton of threads on this because I read them all last year when I purchased my roll bar/harnesses/seats. Don't get 2 out of 3 of those items.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

What others have said!

To get you started, here is a link to extra bolt-in bar support plates (which is still a compromise compared to a welded roll bar or cage).
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...ng-plates.html
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

I use shroth rally4s. They bolt into the rear seatbelt anchors so no need for a bar and they are DOT certified. I think they are the only DOT harnesses because they use anti submarining technology.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

I have those but only used them for autoX for seating position. Wouldn't count on them on the track for safety.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by delongedoug
I have those but only used them for autoX for seating position. Wouldn't count on them on the track for safety.
I would and did before I went the seat/harness/roll bar/neck restraint combo.
The Schroth's belts are the only safe improvement you can do leaving all else stock before you have to commit to the seat/harness/roll bar combo.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
This is the bar i have. It says for use on and off the track but i mean if its not aloud then there really is no point of selling this bar there is really no point in having harness's unless you track your car lol. and i did not buy this bar i got it in a trade deal with the seats and harness's

https://rallyinnovations.com/product...php?prod_id=44
ButtDyno's really quick guide to buying effective parts for your car and not getting stuck with sucky parts that don't help you

1) Research.
2) Research.
3) Research.
4) Repeat steps 1-3 a bunch of times.
5) Purchase parts.

The order of operations here is quite important.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

I have stock IX seat + Schroth 4pt ASM harnesses + 4pt rollbar with welded plates + HANS + Fullface helmet +3layer fire suit + 2layer gloves + nomex shoes + nomex socks + nomex balaclava + 2 front airbags + front and rear crash beams = My daily driver + track car.

oh yea, and it still has my stock seatbelt so when i DD it. Cheers!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

I've seen some nasty looking photos of harness bars bending/breaking. I think either anchor the harness to the seatbelt anchors or go cage. I wouldnt trust a harness bar.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX
I have stock IX seat + Schroth 4pt ASM harnesses + 4pt rollbar with welded plates + HANS + Fullface helmet +3layer fire suit + 2layer gloves + nomex shoes + nomex socks + nomex balaclava + 2 front airbags + front and rear crash beams = My daily driver + track car.

oh yea, and it still has my stock seatbelt so when i DD it. Cheers!
I hope you are not serious about the above setup and just listed stuff off as a joke.

The HANS is not compatible with Schroth ASM belts!!!! The HANS device is completely ineffective in that configuration.

You also want to use a bucket seat with the roll bar assuming it has the horizontal and diagonal bars. Stock seats could be used only if there are no bars behind it that the seat can hit when the seat back breaks.

Also, when getting buckets, you need to get the certified ones. The non certified ones require a seat back brace to prevent them from breaking.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
ButtDyno's really quick guide to buying effective parts for your car and not getting stuck with sucky parts that don't help you

1) Research.
2) Research.
3) Research.
4) Repeat steps 1-3 a bunch of times.
5) Purchase parts.

The order of operations here is quite important.
Hey guys, I bought XYZ. Is it any good? I think I got a good deal. Will it fit/work?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xtnct
The HANS is not compatible with Schroth ASM belts!!!! The HANS device is completely ineffective in that configuration.
Schroth says their Profi II ASM 4-point harness can be used with a HANS device.
http://www.schrothracing.com/store/C...m/profi-II-asm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

+12345 to Spool4Fun. :P :P :P

xtnct,

I did my research sir. All items listed, I do indeed have/own/wear.

You are correct, the next thing on my list SHOULD be a bucket seat. However, I want one with the HALO and high side bolsters which significantly reduces my ability from seeing blind spots, although i do have wide angle mirrors and a 18" rear view mirror too. Also side bolsters would make it difficult to enter and exit vehicle. Which brings me to my next point. I would need to get a quick release steering wheel to be effective. And removal of a perfectly working airbag is illegal and wouldnt want to do that if I still DD my car every day. I think i will take my chances with stock seat for now until it becomes a dedicated track car. I track 6-8/yr. I drive 355+ days a year the rest of the time. Anyways, I wouldnt be able to DD a bucket seat due to stock seatbelts will not work with the high side bolsters.

Yes, I did make a compromise. At least I got the rest covered. I can't really say for the other people who track their cars with just a helmet and shorts and t shirt.

I also have tow hooks front and rear. Installing a Halon fire extinguisher within reach within the next month or so for this season. Probably at the bottom of the passenger seat, where the 2 bolts secure the seat. I have a bracket that mounts there no problem.

Thank you for your concern though

Last edited by Pure EvoIX; Jan 11, 2012 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Harness's