Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Harness's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well after doing research and talking to an instructor and the regional director of NASA. I will be getting a 4 point cage installed with a built in harness bar that harness's can bolt into and plates welded underneath the car that the harness lap belts can bolt into. And some schroth 5 point camlock harness's because they are DOT and SFI 16.5 approved.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Move
Well after doing research and talking to an instructor and the regional director of NASA. I will be getting a 4 point cage installed with a built in harness bar that harness's can bolt into and plates welded underneath the car that the harness lap belts can bolt into. And some schroth 5 point camlock harness's because they are DOT and SFI 16.5 approved.
5 point camlock harnesses, DOT approved for an Evo?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
5 point camlock harnesses, DOT approved for an Evo?
what do you mean for an evo?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spool4Fun
Schroth says their Profi II ASM 4-point harness can be used with a HANS device.
http://www.schrothracing.com/store/C...m/profi-II-asm
Ha, check that out! That must be a new development. Well, I admit it - I was wrong in this regard. Still scratching my head how that can be effective when there are known reports of the HANS slipping out of regular harnesses that do not have a ASM breakaway. The ASM breakaway basically extends the belt by a few inches, essentially making the belt looser. This creates a greater opportunity for the Hans to slip out from under the belt....

Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX
Yes, I did make a compromise. At least I got the rest covered.
I understand, I'm in the same boat. I also made a few compromises in my setup that is not an ultimate configuration but better than not having anything at all.

Important part is that the drivers understand their setups and their limitations and are willing to accept the risks associated with it. Seems like you do!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:04 PM
EvoM Guru

what do you mean for an evo?
There's a difference between meeting the certification requirements and actually being approved in a given application:
http://www.schrothracing.com/main/Engineering
SCHROTH harness belts meet all certification requirements by the German TÜV, ECE-R 16.04 and US-DOT FMVSS 209 for use on public roads. Each belt comes with complete installation and operating instructions. If your vehicle is listed in the included Vehicle Reference List the installation has been tested and appoved with the stock seat or the listed aftermarket seats.
And the Vehicle Reference List
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/FE...List-Print.pdf
MITSUBISHI Cordia 83-87 no install
They haven't gotten very many applications actually approved by the DOT.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:11 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I worked directly w/ HMS Motorsport (I believe they are the main US importer for Schroth) & the mounting point chosen is an approved mounting location. The Schroth listing has not been updated to show the possible EVO Mounts

The Autocontrol is a basic 3 point high perf street harness & occasional track day. You can still run your stock belts if you choose. I run my Autocontrol full time.

Here is HMS website: http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...autocontrol-ii

Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

The rally 4s when into my X without too much trouble. I had to get a little creative to be able to keep the stock belts but it all went in very securely.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
+1 for HMS and Schroth, best in the biz.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
I worked directly w/ HMS Motorsport (I believe they are the main US importer for Schroth) & the mounting point chosen is an approved mounting location. The Schroth listing has not been updated to show the possible EVO Mounts
Think they could update that then?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

I think I'll be fine with schroth 5 point harness's.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

I think I'll be fine with schroth 5 point harness's.
IMO, I would do a couple HPDE/trackdays before you go turning your street car into a not so streetable car. If you're new chances are you won't be going fast for a few events anyways (learning curve) and while you're at the track you can talk with others, look at their setups and sit in different seats to see what you want to do.

FWIW, I've been tracking my car for years with nothing more than a set of Schroth Ralley ASM 4-point harnesses. most clubs accept these now and if they don't I can always just run my stock belts, like I do on the street. YMMV.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

I would not use competition belts without a roll bar! Use a 3" lap belt with the stock 3 point. The waist belt will keep you snug in the seat and the 3 point will act as designed so in the event of a roll over and roof collapse you will not be held in a upright position. I tried to alert the BMW club years ago when I watched a 3 series roll over at Lime Rock. The roof came down to the top of the passesnger door and would have killed the instructor if he had been held upright by competition belts.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i agree, i don't think any 4 point harness are safe for track without roll bar, even with ASM since it still hold you upright in a rollover.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably mentioned by now, but it's worth mentioning again. Many lightweight seats are designed to be used in conjuntion with a roll cage. Many require attachment to the hoop bar for structural rigidity. In a hard impact, the seat will break if it's not properly attached to a structure behind it.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
if the seats are FIA rated, the seat back shouldn't break.

Quick Reply: Harness's