Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Road Racing Cage Options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Thread to get another roll cage conversation started...I'm planning on fabricating my own weld-in cage up myself this spring for the track too...I think custom fab is really the only way to go when it comes to weld-in cages because that way you can have the design match your exact needs for what you'll be doing with the car...

Heres another older thread on good roll-cage design and installations...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...roll-cage.html
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
esevo, that cage is beautiful! Do you have a build thread for your car?
Thank you, its my shop car... I have pics since the beginning of the build in 2008 but to shy since I dont have the finish product as of yet.

But expect it with a magazine shoot I hope.

Evan Smith
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by esevo
Here is mine. 1,3/4 Mild steel fully tig welded.

This main goal is time attack/ HPDE ect.

I have more pics if needed for questions...

Evan Smith
how much did that run all said and done?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by esevo
Here is mine. 1,3/4 Mild steel fully tig welded.

This main goal is time attack/ HPDE ect.

I have more pics if needed for questions...

Evan Smith

The cage looks nice, but to be picky, the rear pads if I were a scrutineer wouldn't pass inspection. The tubes going into the pad don't meet at one point, and more importantly where they meet isn't really strong as built. The pad rises above the strut tower and isn't supported on the top half. If the diagonals were compressed (ie car flipped), that pad would fold right over.

As the NASA rules read, I don't think it would pass, but because you have a lot of support everywhere else, I'm sure no one would worry about it.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:52 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is getting very interesting, as I'm also thinking about caging my daily driver/track/autox car. I bought one that was cut out from another car, most importantly was the main hoop remained intact, and thats what I will use. I've seen Honda-guy's cage in person, and it's very nice, and is what I would want to do. Running through some design ideas though, has anyone thought of doing the back portion as a bolt-in like on Porsche cages.

Something like this...where its bolts to the strut tower.

Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

The first thing to talk is about is using the correct wording. A roll bar is something that is behind the driver. A roll cage is something that cages in the driver in the front. NO roll bars are legal for road racing as the title of the thread ask's.

EvoJoe, I would get a autopower/kirkey roll bar for a car running with SCCA in SM. That will then also be legal for any level of SCCA time trials. (which there are 4 levels). Plus, if you ever want to run SM you can take it out to save the weight.

I've said it many times in cage build threads. You better be prepared to do alot of research if you want a cage that is legal in many different orginizations. For example. the cage of that blue car looks to me to be a 12 point cage (because of the two bars that are attachted to the floor behind the seats, and i can't see the front of it so i'm taking a stab that it has attachment points on the front floors and one on the dash/lower firewall (which are required in some classes) ) . There are alot of racing classes that 10 points is illegal.

It seems that people are starting to refer to NASA as the "go to" rules when it comes to "being legal". I think you are better off learning SCCA rules and following them (since they are the biggest sactioning race club in america) . I've never seen an SCCA legal cage that isn't legal for NASA. But, i have seen NASA legal cages not legal for SCCA.

Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Jan 19, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow; not all welds should be considered equal! Let some of the pics in this thread prove to you to find some examples of your potential builders work BEFORE you drop off your car.

Some of these cages have some pretty nasty looking welds, and as jerdeitzel mentioned several of them aren't legal for multiple series.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
The cage looks nice, but to be picky, the rear pads if I were a scrutineer wouldn't pass inspection. The tubes going into the pad don't meet at one point, and more importantly where they meet isn't really strong as built. The pad rises above the strut tower and isn't supported on the top half. If the diagonals were compressed (ie car flipped), that pad would fold right over.

As the NASA rules read, I don't think it would pass, but because you have a lot of support everywhere else, I'm sure no one would worry about it.
I agree. Looks like a lot of extra weight and overthought, interesting though.

Linking a thread on NASAforums as it has lots of info in there too, moreso specific to the club but also general from different shops. http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24399

Last edited by Balrok; Jan 19, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

That was an interesting read!

A few things i picked out of it.

1. The fact is, that nobody wants to turn a paying customer away (especially in hard times like these) . So, even if a cage dosn't meet the exact specs. It still might be passed.

2. A cage is suppose to blend into the car. This is a huge point! Out of any thing i like about my cage, and something that i have thanked the shop for. The fact that i have never noticed it in any racing. It's like its not even there! And its a rally spec cage. (becuase i might go over a cliff someday) lol

3. There are a million ways to skin a cat. Some are better then others and all will be critisized along the way.

Back to EVOJOE, I would just suggest a Bolt in roll bar with beefed up plates, FIA race seat, 6 point harness, driver suit/gloves/etc, a fire ext and then your good to go for just about anything that dosn't require a full cage.

Here is a simple cage FAQ guide. http://www.norcalcrx.org/tyson/rollcage.html

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Jan 19, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:27 AM

Saw this thread has pics of evo cages, so I thought I would share some pics of what we do in our shop (RKT Motors). All the cages below are FIA Certified and come as a kit from the UK.

Thats just a few we did. Currently we are doing a evo 10 cage (At the moment these pics were taken the cage was just tacked into place to check tube fitment):

Pre welding tube fitment check:

I will update the evo 10 cage after its is done. Maybe even make a video for you guys.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:35 AM

Oh and btw some of these cages have already been tested and still on the road today .
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

^^This is one of the shops that I would highly recommend. Everything I've seen them do is just amazing. And they are some great folks! For any race car prep, you can't go wrong with RKT.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

So much cage pr0n in here!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MSP608
So much cage pr0n in here!
Yeah, some nice designs, some weird ones too, but cool to see all of the cages. Any of you guys besides honda-guy and myself drive their caged Evo on the street at all?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Yeah, some nice designs, some weird ones too, but cool to see all of the cages. Any of you guys besides honda-guy and myself drive their caged Evo on the street at all?
Yeah, when there's a transit over a public road section.

Quick Reply: Road Racing Cage Options