Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Road Racing Cage Options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
With regards to running a cage ON the street, I've been hit dead center driver's door by a fully loaded Semi at 55mph in a truck. I think an Evo, with the 1 bar down low like that, is going to do more harm then good, especially the way a 3 ton pickup was tossed around. Do it all right the first time or don't do it at all. If I go back 3 years when she was still a street car (which I miss dearly), I would get Buschur's removeable harness bar and a 5 point, leaving the crotch and lap belts in full time.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
With regards to running a cage ON the street, I've been hit dead center driver's door by a fully loaded Semi at 55mph in a truck. I think an Evo, with the 1 bar down low like that, is going to do more harm then good, especially the way a 3 ton pickup was tossed around. Do it all right the first time or don't do it at all. If I go back 3 years when she was still a street car (which I miss dearly), I would get Buschur's removeable harness bar and a 5 point, leaving the crotch and lap belts in full time.
The truth is Evo VIII/IXs have abysmal side impact protection, one of the key reasons the Xs are so much heavier. I think the side bar will be better than nothing, but without the front hoop it won't do anything to stop a side impact from something like that. Hell, even the full rally cages aren't designed for that. Sliding sideways into a stationary object like a tree is going to cause a much different impact than a fully loaded semi... by about a billion times. Honestly its amazing you survived in any vehicle. I've seen up close a few accidents at that speed and it was shocking the amount of damage a few tons of quickly moving metal can do.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i've never heard anything good about harness bar other than for autox. if you're just using the lap belt and anti submarine belt without the solder harness, then why need a harness bar at all. you mentioned in the other post that harness bar stiffen the chassis, i don't see how a harness bar can significantly stiffen the chassis with all the bends and joints on it.

here's a picture of what happened to a harness during a frontal collision.

Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive my caged car on the street every once in a while. I've also fit 8 tires in the car with a full cage. . For as slow as i drive on the streets and the fact that if i worried about every little way i could die in this world i would stay inside. I'm not one to think its all that big of a deal to drive a caged car around the street every once in a while.

You do get some pretty funny looks tho. I''ve always been waiting to get pulled over because of the cage, single seat, and a car with numbers on it. Never have yet, tho! I think they must just think an old guy with a big *** wing, front splitter, caged EVO driving the speed limit must be something to just let pass on bye!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
i've never heard anything good about harness bar other than for autox. if you're just using the lap belt and anti submarine belt without the solder harness, then why need a harness bar at all. you mentioned in the other post that harness bar stiffen the chassis, i don't see how a harness bar can significantly stiffen the chassis with all the bends and joints on it.

here's a picture of what happened to a harness during a frontal collision.

Attempting to separate the topics of "cages" and "harness" but it's hard to. Firstly, I do not recommend running a harness bar on the street at all, above being a perfect example, HENCE if you really wanted to, get the one that comes off with pins so ^that doesn't happen, and you just use it at AX.

However as far as chassis stiffening, ya it didn't make since to me at first, until I did it, very noticeable improvement. If you've ever gutted a car, remember that immense space between the B pillars, putting anything in there will help regardless of "bends." These other bars under the car do fractions of that that did. But again this isn't for debating stiffening, it's safety.

With regards to a lower side bar doing "better then nothing" eh...I forsee in a side impact regardless of energy that bar separating and/or coming into my side. I'd personally do NASCAR bars WITH impact foam if I were forced to drive her every day. But ya....in an 8/9 with such **** poor protection, you may be dead anyway. This was a pretty good part of my motivation to not drive her on the street after watching several guys I sorta knew die in very simple accidents.

End of the day - Full cage don't drive it every day, or just a lap belt kids.

Last edited by Balrok; Jan 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

JOE check out my pics, either here or facebook. I have an autopower 6 point. Not bad for the price and its a cheaper and easier route. I will probably upgrade my cage to a weld in if I dont sell it. Check out MTK welding in roselle, NJ. One of the sickest welders/builders around.

Last edited by dsmbruno; Jan 20, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jerdeitzel

You do get some pretty funny looks tho. I''ve always been waiting to get pulled over because of the cage, single seat, and a car with numbers on it.
Lol, I get pulled over all the time, and the cop's faces when they look inside the gutted interior and I'm in a 6-pt harness with a cage is priceless. It's actually gotten me out of a couple of tickets.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsmbruno
JOE check out my pics, either here or facebook. I have an autopower 6 point. Not bad for the price and its a cheaper and easier route. I will probably upgrade my cage to a weld in if I dont sell it. Check out MTK welding in roselle, NJ. One of the sickest welders/builders around.
Awesome Thanks Bruno. I saw some pictures of yours but never new it was an auto power. I thought it was a cusco bolt in. Good to know though Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like cage threads. Here's a link to mine. Andrew Havas installed this fully FIA and MSA cage from the UK. It's a big project.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...age-evo-x.html
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:51 PM

^^This is one of the shops that I would highly recommend. Everything I've seen them do is just amazing. And they are some great folks! For any race car prep, you can't go wrong with RKT.
Thanks for the good words , we try our best .
Here are a couple pics of the evo 10 cage jut finished.

Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ listen to this guy above.

Hands down the BEST builders and mechanics i came a cross in the USA. And i have been MANY places. Even in many states.

No joke.

they are the one who building and touching my car ONLY. And there is a good reason for that . They can and do customize cages for you needs . the possibilities are limitless when comes to racing with them. Many championships thropy etc speaks about them.... It is not a stop and go shop...

Here is my add on ( damn Greg didnt put my build there... LOL )

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 22, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I drive my caged car on the street every once in a while. I've also fit 8 tires in the car with a full cage. . For as slow as i drive on the streets and the fact that if i worried about every little way i could die in this world i would stay inside. I'm not one to think its all that big of a deal to drive a caged car around the street every once in a while.

You do get some pretty funny looks tho. I''ve always been waiting to get pulled over because of the cage, single seat, and a car with numbers on it. Never have yet, tho! I think they must just think an old guy with a big *** wing, front splitter, caged EVO driving the speed limit must be something to just let pass on bye!

when i drive my car around i am always wondering why cops doesnt pull me over. I mean my car is LOUD and even the tires are noisier them most SUV tires, then a VTA. So when i am coming you can hear it, not to mention when i am braking LOL

Then comes to the look stripes , cage , seats, no front license plate.. etc.

The most is got from cops so far is a smile and wave... I dont get it.

ps: i never drive fast on the street.