Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

RaceKern.com 2012

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
Dave, no offense taken. So how is hill climbing so much different than racing on any other paved surface exactly?
The actual driving part may not be that different, you're focusing on the road ahead of you and driving as quick as you can. That said, take a look at that first picture I posted in this thread and LMK if there's a race track you know of that has those sort of drop-offs 2" from the racing line and trees just inches beyond that. I think the biggest difference is the consequences of making a mistake.

I've seen it before in our local hillclimb series. I think its a little bit of the "video game generation" who's used to getting do-overs. They'll jump right into a 300hp AWD car and wreck it their first event out. Seen it happen a few times with guys in their early 20s. Its the invincible complex and add to that the bravado factor that many race car drivers have and it can be a recipe for disaster.

Now, to bring this all back around to PP, crashes happen, cars break down. We only get 3 hours of time for all competitors to get practice in the mornings and because of that entrants have very little tolerance for showboating or people wrecking. You'll hear the event staff harp on the fact all week long during the drivers meetings.

IMO, rallies are closer to hillclimb than road racing is to hillclimb, even though most rallies in the US are on dirt. Its that "not safety-ized racing environment" part of if. So, looking at rally sanctioning bodies, there's a reason that Rally America doesn't allow newbies to start in fire-breathing AWD turbo machines. I had a nice turbo'd 2.5rs when I got started in racing. When I realized what makes fast cars (the driver), I sold that fast car and got two slow pieces of crap (miata & GTX) and raced the **** out of them for years before jumping back into a quick car. Very very glad I did...as it made the learning process much cheaper.

EDIT: I'm assuming you already know that autocrossers are extremely adept at judging a surfaces conditions, grip level and speed potential very very quickly.
Oh yeah, for sure! I did 3-4 years of auto-x and rally-x before I stuck a cage in one of my cars and tried hillclimbing. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, and I know it saved my butt at least a few times. I just know I've come to respect my surroundings a bit more, and especially with the speed potential of the Evo. The great thing about auto-x is you can push yourself to the max and if you spin, no big deal...its just you'll need to recalibrate your brain for hillclimbing because spinning or missing a breaking point can have catastrophic consequences. I'm extremely lucky there was a guardrail in front of us last year!

Dave

Last edited by DaveK; Feb 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

FWIW, one of the best hillclimbers in the USA is a former National champion auto-x'er. George Bowland hold more hill records then anyone thruout the US.

With that being said, a auto-x guy can be a good hillclimber. But, if you have never run a hillclimb before in your life then i would only be thinking about 1 thing, surviving! I've raced in many hillclimbs over the past 8 years and i cant imagine running that hill as my first. I'm nervous before every event. The speed's that the evo's get are just silly on hills and the commitment in some sections are just insane.

Hey, just have fun!

Hillclimb's are different then other paved tracks and auto-x surfaces because there are crowns to the road, gravel and edges to the pavement that you have to worry about.

Dave, i saw that a friend of mine as been talking with you about the race. (Bill Miller, Audi). He is a good guy and a very experienced hillclimber.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Feb 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

^ This post nailed it!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
I had a nice turbo'd 2.5rs when I got started in racing. When I realized what makes fast cars (the driver),
Dave
Now I like you much better

Good choice in cars. Even the beaters
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I might add to this over 60 mph everything is changes gradually, i would say around every 10 mph. You will be more then fine in the slower tuns, the difference will be more obvious at the crests - sweepers and unseen high speed turn combinations.
first time you go up there in practice, try to stay in the middle even if that is slower. Then you can go from there. Also if you have a moped good idea to drive up and sown before the event.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 13, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

+1 for DaveK. We had some email back-and-forths before my first stage rally where he was saying essentially the same thing. He and everyone else chiming in are spot-on.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Now I like you much better

Good choice in cars. Even the beaters
LOL, thanks! I really wasn't trying to come across as a pain in the butt...what we need for these specialty events is more long-term competitors. I see it all the time in rally that people get excited, do one event and then drift back to something else. More competitors at more events is what I'm hoping to see!

Originally Posted by WheelGap
+1 for DaveK. We had some email back-and-forths before my first stage rally where he was saying essentially the same thing. He and everyone else chiming in are spot-on.
You going to make it out for a CHCA event this summer? Tentative schedule is already available and they just added a facebook page that'll probably get more frequent updates than the website.

Dave
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Just posted up on FB in a post where someone's predicting a fatality on the mountain this year. Play it safe guys! Note the lack of run-off room, and consider how when tarmac your cornering speeds and subsequent straightaway speeds are going to be even higher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2QsUyIrJiM

EDIT: This is quite possibly the most poorly worded post I've ever made. What i meant to say is a friend of mine posted this video on FB in a thread where someone else was predicting problems at this year's race based on the huge influx of rookies in stupid fast machinery.

Dave

Last edited by DaveK; Feb 14, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

You going to make it out for a CHCA event this summer? Tentative schedule is already available and they just added a facebook page that'll probably get more frequent updates than the website.

Dave
Well, Temple Canyon is looking like a possibility. The original plan was for our first 2012 event to be Rally Minnesota but it's not happening this year and Ojibwe isn't until August (if it happens at all) and that's a long time to wait for my gravel fix!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Just posted up on FB in a post where someone's predicting a fatality on the mountain this year. Play it safe guys! Note the lack of run-off room, and consider how when tarmac your cornering speeds and subsequent straightaway speeds are going to be even higher:

Dave
*wince* Ya, seriously, the win isn't worth the wreck.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Well, Temple Canyon is looking like a possibility. The original plan was for our first 2012 event to be Rally Minnesota but it's not happening this year and Ojibwe isn't until August (if it happens at all) and that's a long time to wait for my gravel fix!
Yeah - come on out for that! There's been some subie guys talking serious amounts of **** lately, and my Evo's focused on Pikes so I won't have it at any events prior to July. Would be great to see a CHCA rookie come out and do some stomping!

Dave
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah - come on out for that! There's been some subie guys talking serious amounts of **** lately, and my Evo's focused on Pikes so I won't have it at any events prior to July. Would be great to see a CHCA rookie come out and do some stomping!

Dave
If your Mitsu pride is on the line, you might not want us out at Temple Canyon. We're destined to disappoint!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

If your Mitsu pride is on the line, you might not want us out at Temple Canyon. We're destined to disappoint!
Not a chance...those guys drive Subarus.

Just be sure to pull the restrictor and crank the boost!

Dave
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWlGBUkuTxA

thinking about this on the hill, how easy to get into this situation

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 14, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Its rally PLINKO!

Rob - that could happen at PP, but only in the lower 1/2 of the course. Above that, there's no trees!

Quick Reply: RaceKern.com 2012