Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gingerman - 5-25-12 - EVOpalooza

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 03:30 AM
e9x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arireyes
nvmd I'm going to be at Autobahn already. Sounds fun though.
Autobahn at Joliet? What's happening over there?
I really wanted to go to this event but we'll be out of town to Michigan, IN for that weeked.
Are most of you Illinois peeps driving to that event in your X for 5 hours or will it be on a trailer?
if you're driving your X and track it the whole day and then drive back to illinois for another 5 hours, how is the car going to hold up?
Sorry for all these noob questions, I'm just a little paranoid when it comes to my car taking this kind of abuse especially I just got it a month ago.

Thanks in advance.

Mic
Old Apr 2, 2012, 01:47 PM

Autobahn has SCCA pdx it's an evening session, I'm instructing there. As for me I drive back and forth from Plainfield to Gingerman at least once every 2 weeks all track season and I haven't had any problems, for me it's about a 2.5-3 hr drive though. I don't really like driving back on Sunday nights after track though. For one I'm usually pretty tired after 2 or 3 days of track and another my luck it's usually bad traffic going back.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 04:22 AM
e9x

Originally Posted by arireyes
Autobahn has SCCA pdx it's an evening session, I'm instructing there. As for me I drive back and forth from Plainfield to Gingerman at least once every 2 weeks all track season and I haven't had any problems, for me it's about a 2.5-3 hr drive though. I don't really like driving back on Sunday nights after track though. For one I'm usually pretty tired after 2 or 3 days of track and another my luck it's usually bad traffic going back.
Hey thanks bud.
I would really like to track my X but I just dont feel like driving that far to Gingerman.
Do you mind telling me (pm me) how much you charge for driving instruction at Autobahn including fees at the track?
I'm looking into tracking it for 1-3 hrs max and I don't really have any experience at the track.
BTW i will be at Autobahn this Friday for this groupon event to drive a Ferrari F430 around the track for a few laps
Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your car will be fine. I did that exact thing the last time I was at Gingerman. Left my house at 4:45am, drove the 2.5-3 hrs to Gingerman, did the full day and left around 4:30pm, drove back home, got home at 7, slept until 7am the next day

This time around I'm bringing my girlfriend, so we'll be staying the night by the lake and then coming out to the track from a nice 15 minute stroll. I'd recommend that, obviously, but it's not too bad driving there in the morning, lapping for the day, then drive home.

Lastly, you'll get some experience at Autobahn in that F430 (super jealous btw) so when you finally take the Evo out there you'll know the layout somewhat (unless they stick you on north course for one and south course for the other or vice versa), but Gingerman is an extremely safe track compared to Autobahn. There is less run-off at Autobahn and grass turns your tires into grease, severely reducing your braking ability and greatly increase your sliding ability

Don't get me wrong, if you're reckless you'll find yourself in trouble no matter where you go... just that Gingerman is a great starter track for the above reasons.

Autobahn events are also usually pricier, but the amenities at Autobahn are top notch as far as tracks go. Very classy establishment
Old Apr 4, 2012, 03:45 AM
e9x

I will definitely take it as easy as possible on the F430 and not let my adrenaline take over LOL.
Anyways, are you guys going to have another event at Gingerman this summer?
If so, when?
I will still try to get out there on that friday even if I just watch and meet some of you guys
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

No plans for another day YET. It is all depending on the success of this event. If it's a huge success and everybody has a great time and we meet the cost or at least come darn close, then it'll be very likely a second day will be rented out later in the season.

If it's a huge fail and comes short by a grand or more, then they won't be nearly as frequent

So far it's looking good though! Still pretty early in the sign-up, but only 3 weeks left of the reduced $145 entrance.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

$145 track day!!! Less than 3 weeks left for the discounted early registration!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Roughly 2 weeks left in early registration!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Early bird registration ends in 10 days!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

how many

Originally Posted by Frankiago
Damn, we could use an instructor or two.
do you have so far?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
do you have so far?

Working on 3rd.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Hopefully 4 at this point. Among others, we're seeing if Martin Musial will come on out and show people a thing or two (the guy is seriously fast... with almost any car).
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:35 AM
e9x

Just wondering how much do these instructor charge per session?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e9x
Just wondering how much do these instructor charge per session?
$0.00

You sign up for the track day and you'll have an instructor out with you in at least one session.

Also, doesn't hurt to have somebody from a more advanced run group go out with you to get you used to things and pointers on the racing line, braking points, acceleration through the turn, hitting late apex, double apex, etc.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

A few things to read before you rookies go on track. Don't worry about fast until you can do it safe.

http://www.drivingfast.net/track/track-driving-tips.htm

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/EventDe...iversGuide.pdf

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/...5/greybook.pdf

Quick Reply: Gingerman - 5-25-12 - EVOpalooza