Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gingerman - 5-25-12 - EVOpalooza

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
can somebody explain the differences between noob class and intermediate? other than the passenger rule
is there rule with passing and what not
im trying to sign up
Old May 10, 2012, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starkx2
So I take it no one is?
were going up Friday morning and staying in South Haven through Monday.

Originally Posted by bnr34rb26dett
can somebody explain the differences between noob class and intermediate? other than the passenger rule
is there rule with passing and what not
im trying to sign up
They usually add 1 or 2 passing areas in intermediate. In novice at Gingerman there is usually only passing on the 2 main straight aways, depending on how the group runs , they may decide to open up another one.
Another thing I see is that depending on the size of groups that are run , a lot of advanced drivers will run intermediate, so you really might get a mix of all levels in that group. I'm not sure who is organizing the groups or how strict they will be that day.
Old May 10, 2012, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

well, im officially signed up.
in the noob class.
Old May 12, 2012, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We'll have pretty colorful bracelets for the different classes. If Novice is too crowded we will allow select individuals to bump up to Intermediate.

Passing will be similar to what Ari mentioned and by no means will there be open passing in Intermediate.

I seemed to remember 3 passing zones from the very beginning last year, but I'm sure Ari has far more experience with this track, she'll be one of the instructors.

If you haven't been to Gingerman before, I'd just recommend starting Novice (noob) and bump up to Intermediate if Novice is either too crowded or not very enjoyable because you're constantly catching up, waiting behind and passing people. If you're doing that regularly and not being blatantly dangerous, that just means you're faster than most of the class and would benefit from more open track in the next class up. By no means does it signify you're a pro driver and a scout is hiding in the bushes watching you and waiting to recruit you for an F1 team
Old May 12, 2012, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by starkx2
So I take it no one is?
Sorry I'll be there Thursday noon/afternoon, staying in a bed'n'breakfast, then coming back home at 5pm on Friday
Old May 15, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Bump! This is next week!

32 total cars right now, 8 spots open. Current breakdown is approximately:

15 Novice
12 Intermediate
5 Advanced

We'll move some people around depending on if they're comfortable in a higher group in order to thin out course traffic in the Novice and Intermediate groups.

As with all HPDEs, if you find yourself in a cluster or behind somebody not cooperating with passing, take 30 seconds or so in the pit and then rejoin the course. We'll try to make sure everybody is on the same page with passing and proper track etiquette after each session.
Old May 16, 2012, 02:11 PM

Just found out I can't make it ......... pffftt .... some company business dev workshop on 25th from morn to night

If any of you is going to be at Grattan the following weekend on NASA trackday - hit me up
Old May 20, 2012, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Activ8
Just found out I can't make it ......... pffftt .... some company business dev workshop on 25th from morn to night

If any of you is going to be at Grattan the following weekend on NASA trackday - hit me up
I'd say blow off the company business dev workshop. You know which one is more fun

Only a few days left! Looks like we won't run out of available spots as we're sitting at maybe 6 spots shy of the 40-car-cap (imposed by us, not Gingerman... Gingerman said shoot, bring 100 cars, long hurr don't curr)
Old May 21, 2012, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Three more days to sign up!
Old May 21, 2012, 07:10 PM

I agree, but that's what keeps me going to the track (monies) :P
Old May 22, 2012, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Too bad it's Friday - I won't be driving up to the area until late Friday. Otherwise I'd totally be in.

Hopefully they let you guys run with the new track addition/extension - it makes one big monster straight. I also found it to be a nice change to the original track configuration.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure they run nothing but the new extension. Last time I was there the original configuration looked abandoned/unused. I think that's their new track layout.

Anybody been there within the past 12 months and actually used the original layout WITHOUT the new extension?

Anyways, BUMP for only a few days to go!
Old May 22, 2012, 07:39 PM

Who's all going up Thursday night, and where are you guys staying? Brn and I will be at the Ramada, probably not till after 8 though.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by auright808
Who's all going up Thursday night, and where are you guys staying? Brn and I will be at the Ramada, probably not till after 8 though.
ill be staying up there thurs and leaving fri night after a sweet photoshoot by the water
Old May 22, 2012, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

I'm spending Thursday with my woman at some bed 'n' breakfast in South Haven. We're gonna do cute shat like ride bikes the bed 'n' breakfast lets you borrow down to the beach and whatnot.

Then waking up Friday morning and packing up and heading to the track to unload the entire car

Remember, Eric Jones will be available for brake pad swaps and brake fluid bleeding for $50 each service if you didn't get a chance to get it done before the track day or if some sort of emergency occurs!

Quick Reply: Gingerman - 5-25-12 - EVOpalooza