Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

929 Evo - 2012 Season Updates

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
You're looking at the wrong thing. I re-used an old picture that was from a Beatrush article, so someone added the red arrows to ask what the shiny stuff was underneath. Ignore the red arrows, look above them at the black NACA ducts.

Here, check this out - follow my green arrows:

YES! That's what I was recommending today
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nathan, if i had the choice between those round ducts vs the black NACA ducts, i would definitely go with the black NACA ducts. I think ive sent you this info before, but heres where i bought mine:

Porterfield NACA ducts and Adapters

In fact, if you can, go with NACA ducts that have a 3" air inlet. Run 3" hose as far as you can then attach a 3" to 2" adapter and run a 2" hose to where you want to mount it. Get a nice big duct like the pic you posted. Something that scoops as much air as possible, but youd also want a duct that is "deep" enough so air doesnt deflect off it. That link has both NACA ducts and adapters. I bought the Large ram air bumper duct, and the 3" to 2" adapter. And unless theyve changed it, the sizes they have listed for the ducts are off. I went there in person and measured both the large and small ducts, and both were smaller than listed. Ask for Tim.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here, check this out - follow my green arrows:

Well I know that car doesn't have the ACD pump to worry about on the right side. Which is still an issue if I try to route where it's at. Besides the routing, I think there's room to put the inlet duct in the mesh actually and not have to cut into the bumper at all. The ACD pump is an issue either way, but I think there's room to route behind and around it. You just get a quick downward bend unfortunately. (see first pic below).

On the passenger side, I dunno if the oil cooler is in a different spot? I really don't see a good spot to jam the duct in really. The front bumper crash beam is a bit in the way, but you can probably still find room and/or remove it. You'd probably have to cut into or push the top rear corner of the oil cooler ducting a bit to find room to route the ducting. Or another option (like I show it below) is behind the oil cooler; this probably isn't as good an option but was easier to route quickly for a picture. Again, this side is doable I think but you get another quick downward bend unfortunately. (see second pic below).

Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Those bends appear pretty extreme to me. Heres a crazy idea. Buy the ducts, adapters, hoses you want to run. Put them together. Then get 2 of your friends to help out. One guy drives, other guy holds your ducting setup out the passenger window while you hold the other end in the rear seat. Hold it straight to get a benchmark for maximum flow. Then try varying levels of bends to feel how much the airflow is minimized as you increase the bends. Try at different speeds.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
you want those ducts where there is a high pressure. I dont foresee those ducts getting much air on the side of the bumper where the pressure isnt that high. Right up front and low would probably be best. If you have a front splitter, the effects will multiply.

Last edited by EVOizmm; Jun 6, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
Those bends appear pretty extreme to me. Heres a crazy idea....
I thought I replied to this last night... Yes they do seem a bit extreme which is why I wanted to share the pics. Either from the headlight area or from the middle of the bumper through new holes it'll have a significant bend nearly immediately.

imo, the only real option is down low in the front bumper. Like the custom epoxy setup that JDavenport did and the pic I posted of Mueller's (not yet for sale) setup. Now trying to create or source something this week is MY problem.

This has been driving me crazy...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

I thought I replied to this last night... Yes they do seem a bit extreme which is why I wanted to share the pics. Either from the headlight area or from the middle of the bumper through new holes it'll have a significant bend nearly immediately.

imo, the only real option is down low in the front bumper. Like the custom epoxy setup that JDavenport did and the pic I posted of Mueller's (not yet for sale) setup. Now trying to create or source something this week is MY problem.

This has been driving me crazy...
What exactly do you need to source? Just air inlets? If you actually have the room to go down low in the front bumper area i think the "small" version of the NACA bumper duct might fit. Call Porterfield and ask Tim to measure it for you. Im sure if you explain to him whats going on he will do it for you:

Small NACA bumper duct
Old Jun 6, 2012, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

NACA Ducts

These guys are closer to you, try calling them also.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

If you're going to mount the intake low on the front of the bumper, then you don't want to use a NACA duct. AFAIK NACA ducts are designed to siphon air off parallel airflow, not perpendicular airflow. For perpendicular airflow, some kind of ram intake would work better. If you look at where NACA ducts are used in airplanes and racecars, it's either on side of the body or top of the hood or similar, not the front or front-facing applications.

l8r)
Old Jun 6, 2012, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
If you're going to mount the intake low on the front of the bumper, then you don't want to use a NACA duct. AFAIK NACA ducts are designed to siphon air off parallel airflow, not perpendicular airflow. For perpendicular airflow, some kind of ram intake would work better. If you look at where NACA ducts are used in airplanes and racecars, it's either on side of the body or top of the hood or similar, not the front or front-facing applications.

l8r)

^ What he said.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

These ducts placed in the front middle would work best.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
! Lightbulb. Thanks guys!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, I've got a setup that I feel descent about now. It's not a finished product, but it's something I can finish up at the track and get through this weekend. I don't have a good set of tires to use this weekend, plus the turnout is pretty low so my goal is just to get the car through 2 races and finish. Then take all that information and modify. I plan to install the larger hoses with the new custom inlets and I think stepping up a brake pad too.

Here's some quick pics including the routing I took care of last night. I ended up cutting up my stock LICP and using that for now.
  • On one passenger side, it's the same size as the ducting hose I was using before; but it eliminates 2 of the sharp bends and part that was pinched behind the existing LICP - so better. I eliminated about 8" of hose too. Then I thought it needed more, so I modified a NACA duct I had to try and funnel in more air. It needs a bit more TLC but it's definitely an upgrade.
  • On the driver's side, the inlet is about 2.5" which is larger than I had before. Then my hose connects to it and runs nearly straight back. I'm not sure if I'll whip up another NACA duct on this side, but I've got the supplies to piece that together that I'll take with me. Again, I eliminated about 8" of hose.

Old Jun 7, 2012, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

on that drivers side vent, you should make a block off so air is forced to only go inside the brake cooler inlet.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
on that drivers side vent, you should make a block off so air is forced to only go inside the brake cooler inlet.
Excellent idea - which is my plan yet! Especially because there's nothing else that needs air, the only part back there is the ACD pump.

Quick Reply: 929 Evo - 2012 Season Updates