Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

929 Evo - 2012 Season Updates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
I like that a lot. Did you go with an X or Nascar door bars on the driver's side? I'm not a big guy so I don't necessarily need the extra space. Obviously if I don't gut out the door my options are more limited.

Also can you point me to a how-to for removing the stock window glass?
Actually my cage guy did it, I transported the car there with the stock glass and door guts in place, just no plastic and as many things I could unbolt off. So he made the side windows, seat mounts and jack plates at the same time. He did the nascar bars on the driver side as req'd, so while he was in there and grinding stuff anyway I just had him zip all the doors down. Likely another 4-6 hours in labor but worth it. Also when you and get the car back order the metal/plastic slip on edging from Pegasus to cover the sharp *** edges .
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So after Road Atlanta, I unloaded the car from the trailer and gave it a quick wash. For some reason the trailer was covered in sand, so I swept it off and gave it a quick scrubdown with a broom too. Sand up inside where the ramps are stored too; weird.

After the car was unloaded, I had to continue the gutting process! I pulled out the passenger seat, the rollbar, both harnesses (as they are expired), the remaining plastic inside the car, the door skins and the headliner. I also unhooked all the gauges, and the main gauge cluster as the dash will be coming back out. Although instead of like 3 hours and 2 handfulls of screws it was like 10min and < 10 screws for the dash!

Here's what I removed over the last week:

67 - Autopower 4pt rollbar
36 - Sparco passenger seat, slider, bracket & belt
31 - Spare tire
------
134 lbs removed.

That doesn't take into account all the weight I removed from under the dash, misc bolts (left a ton out), lots of plastic pieces, gutting the dash and doors & 20+ lbs from the A/C. I've got nearly everything in a box that I need to weigh yet. When it all comes down, I think I'll need to add ballast back to the car still for PTA - as I need to be 3263 after a race (low fuel).

Last edited by boomn29; Mar 19, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks like a start to a money pit! lol.

Are you going to keep the car street legal?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
That looks like a start to a money pit! lol.

Are you going to keep the car street legal?
Technically it hasn't been street legal since early 2008. That's when the airbags, horn and 3pt belts came out - along with the huge stickers going on that called a lot of attention for the street. Then in 2009 the testpipe went on and it got louder yet.

Since I got the trailer in early 2009, I haven't drove it much on the street. The combination of the stickers, numbers and loud exhaust kinda shy's me away from it. The most was probably for the new Exedy clutch break-in in early 2010; when I put the stock catback back on!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Well, street legal is a relative term. If it has lights, turn signals, car insurance/registration, then iit's pretty much street legal in my book. Moving to WI has just screwed me on keeping mine "street legal".

Your running the stock steering wheel at the moment, right? Are you planning on a quick release wheel? It's not very easy to get in a caged car without one. Just one of the many , "oh just another $750" I didn't think about that is going to add up. . I seem to run into this a lot.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Your running the stock steering wheel at the moment, right? Are you planning on a quick release wheel? It's not very easy to get in a caged car without one. Just one of the many , "oh just another $750" I didn't think about that is going to add up. . I seem to run into this a lot.
Stock. I actually like it. It still has the tilt in it.

But you're right, it's already a bit difficult to get in/out with my seat so low and the super high side bolsters. I might look for something used down the road...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

And the madness is about to begin. Looking at your thread Ryans and Matts is making me jealous. If i could id drop everything and go do some races with my car this weekend.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
And the madness is about to begin. Looking at your thread Ryans and Matts is making me jealous. If i could id drop everything and go do some races with my car this weekend.
Doooooooooo itttttttttt
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Doooooooooo itttttttttt
lol Actually ive done a few races so far this season, just not in my car. And im missing it not being able to drive it yet.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

$$ wise or did you find another fault?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
$$ wise or did you find another fault?
I just had an amazing opportunity to drive a friends car and the timing worked out. Totally unexpected but ive been able to do a few races so far with them.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, here is a question maybe someone can answer. I'm sure you will need this info also Nathan. In the tech form, it has the steering wheel lock needing to be removed. I just took apart the whole key assembely and cannot see anyway to do this with using a stock key? I had the whole key tumbler out and it looks as if the lock cannot be removed?

I kno i don't really need to worry about this stuff in TT but, i figured if i'm going to get an annual tech i should just tech the car to go W2W. If we can pull together a field of 4 EVO's in ST2 at regional races, that sounds like fun.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, here is a question maybe someone can answer. I'm sure you will need this info also Nathan. In the tech form, it has the steering wheel lock needing to be removed. I just took apart the whole key assembely and cannot see anyway to do this with using a stock key? I had the whole key tumbler out and it looks as if the lock cannot be removed?

I kno i don't really need to worry about this stuff in TT but, i figured if i'm going to get an annual tech i should just tech the car to go W2W. If we can pull together a field of 4 EVO's in ST2 at regional races, that sounds like fun.
In case someone reading this isnt aware...

2012 CCR:
15.9 Steering Wheel Lock
The steering wheel locks should be removed except where authorized by class rules or by exception from the Race Director.
2012 NASA Super Tourind Rules:
All of the rules listed in the NASA CCR Sections 15 and 18 will apply, except, the following rules will supercede those in the CCR:
CCR 15.6—Roll cages may be built to provide an unlimited amount of chassis stiffening. Any number of cage mounting points may be used above the six (6) minimum requirement, and, any number of additional tubes may be used above the minimum with additional attachment points to the body, including tubes that penetrate the firewall.
CCR 15.8—An electrical master cut-off switch is required.
CCR 15.9—Steering wheel lock removal is recommended, but not required.
CCR 15.16—An approved suitable racing seat is required.
CCR 18.6—Engine modifications and motor swaps are unlimited.
Long story short...you dont have to remove your steering wheel lock because the Super Touring rules supersede the CCR. And the ST rules say that its recommended, not required.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Jeremy & Ed. I had overlooked that; glad it's nothing I have to worry about.

And just be aware, that an Annual tech for TT vs an Annual tech for w2w is a lot different. Since TT follows the HPDE rules you can have a 3pt and nothing falling off your car and it'll pretty much pass. When you want a w2w tech, it's a lot more extensive and takes a lot longer. Just fyi.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I was told by a few others that you have to "break" the steeringwheel lock but in doing so you basically get rid of EBD aka ABS and the key system. So it wasn't worth it to me, esp if you have a 9.

Quick Reply: 929 Evo - 2012 Season Updates