Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

929 Evo - 2012 Season Updates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't see any way to get around it other then breaking things too. (altho, i do use that technique alot). You might be able to use some JB weld to hold the tab down but that seems like a big PIA. I'm not sure why that rule is even there? With the key in the on position the wheel will not lock anyway. Unless your key get's somehow "turned off" then i don't see a problem.

Yea, I realize the tech is alot different. My car should pass a RR tech other then the window nets at the moment. I might as well have them go over everything while they are doing it, in case i missed something. Then i can be that much closer to actaully going racing with you guys!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
It'd be funny to line all our cars up for a photo shoot, cause NONE of them look alike, where as if you lined up a bunch of GT3's they'd be identical
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Balrok
It'd be funny to line all our cars up for a photo shoot, cause NONE of them look alike, where as if you lined up a bunch of GT3's they'd be identical
Very very true. Even mine looks so totally different this year to me - with all the big decals gone, hell they'd been on since 2008!

Ok, car update!
Below is a pic of how the Driver's side door looks right now. I took it to my cagebuilder like this. The door skin off, speaker out, power windows & locks ziptied and still working - and the window glass still in. I've got an open trailer so my I still need functioning windows, be it the factory glass or a lexan cutoff stuck in place.

I think I'll have to add some weight back into the car as it is to make my 3263 lbs TTA/PTA min with low fuel so the extra weight of the window glass shouldn't be an issue this year.
We did some quick measuring and based on where my seat is installed, there should be enough room to do a Nascar style door-bar with everything shown (window in). So that's the goal at least for now.

Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

No going back now bro...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a pic of how much room you will have with your door's uncut. Its alittle bit more room but not alot.
Attached Thumbnails 929 Evo - 2012 Season Updates-door-pic-007.jpg  
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

It'll work, but Several reasons I disagree with that kind of design:

1. I'm not a fan of it being that close to the driver because
a. An X style doesn't provide as much resistance to the impact energy as a NASCAR style bar
b. A bar being that close to the driver (Nascar or X) makes things super tight for the above reason and for flying arms/elbows which is bad either way.

2. There is no real "impact protection" with keeping the Evo door guts intact, in all seriousness. You are MUCH better off putting the nascar bars as far away from you as possible and into that door so that even the slightest hit is that much safer for the driver.

3. The rules allow you to gut the doors if you put the bars in there, so whats the point of having that extra weight of the guts so far up and on the outside of the car when you can put it where YOU want it later.

The doors are going to get hit, so saving the door "image" isn't going to help either, cause you'll end up replacing them several times.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Rally rules require the doors stay in one piece so I don't even have the option - but I'm curious about one thing:

If you have moderate contact at the door (but maybe not a full on crash) do you guys re-inspect your cage anytime the nascar bar is touched?

With a traditional X, you'd need a pretty sizeable hit before any part of the cage would get impacted.

Dave
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

There are some class rules that don't allow for removal of the door crash beam. (SCCA). Which is where most of the weight from the door is anyways'. This is why i actually like Rally cars. They have serious cages and still have window's that work, headlights, road legal "somewhat", and look better then a cut out door. (Especially if you have the nice carbon fiber door cards.)

Hey, this is what makes us all unique in our car prep. We all want/need different things. As long as Nathan is happy with how its done, then that's all that really matters.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

^ Pretty much, just putting it out there cause i'm not sure on his actual design layout. But ya dave any "serious" impact as deemed by the Race director warrants a cage inspection, doesn't mean its gotta get replaced, just a safety thing. But the Evo doors, even with the alum beam , are going to fold like paper in any real side impact so it'll get to the X regardless, it's just a matter of if you want it up your armpit or away from you.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Here is what i did today that might be of interest too you in your descision making process. Since i'm not a baller and the carbon fiber door cards didn't fit with my cage i decided to make one out of Alumilite. I think it looks sooo purdy! (plus you can see i still have my power window's, lol.)
Attached Thumbnails 929 Evo - 2012 Season Updates-door-cards-001.jpg   929 Evo - 2012 Season Updates-door-cards-002.jpg  
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

^ Those look nice!

I use a hybrid design, using the top and front part of the OEM door panels, then using ABS plastic for the lower portion. It uses plastic push pins to hold the two pieces together and no sharp edges to catch a shirt or driving suit on. Not 100% sure it'd work with nascar style bars, but it was cheap. $5 for the push pins and maybe $15 in plastic.

Of all the shots I've got of the car, I don't have one just of the door panels...but you can sorta see what was done in this shot:

Dave
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I asked around a lot and looked at a lot of pics about what do do with the doors, and asked my cagebuilder about options. I'm not sure everyone understood, but we're planning on fitting a Nascar ladder bar on the driver's side - and keeping the stock windows in place. I've got a pretty narrow seat (Sparco Circuit Pro) that I wedge into so there's a descent amount of room. We'll have to wait and see if this plan works out.

How about some in progress pics?

On the last one here, it's a pic of the pinch welds on the car as I dropped it off. 6 years of track events and lots of jacking up the car have turned it into this! So the plan is to attach somewhat of a framerail the first 3-4 feet of the car to use for jack points. It's a small addition and a great idea I think. Shown here is some of the prepwork.

Old Apr 2, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Got some more updates:

(top) This will be the completed color of the cage - satin black.
(above) Custom dash bar! I'm smelling some weight savings!
(below) Rear support bars getting started here. I'm hoping there will be clearance to haul tires to/from the track in the back seat once again. My previous Autopower 4pt rollbar (which is for sale) negated that until I customized it.

Old Apr 2, 2012, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good! I have heard of Izzy's and they look like they do some great work.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Cage connected up to the rear!

And it looks like my plan to be able to haul tires to/from the track in the rear seats will once again be an option (last pic). It's a nice option to have, especially when I've got 2 sets of slicks & 1 set of street tires I take to pretty much every event. Plus occasionally extra NEW tires to mount need hauled. And this year I'll have a set of wets I'll take when the weather looks nasty; although they could simply replace the street tires.

I used to be able to put 2 tires in the trunk. But once I bumped up to 9.5" wide rims that was no longer an option as they wouldn't fit! Could be since I've been using the spare tire for ballast... We're also planning a connecting bar between the struts in the rear.

Quick Reply: 929 Evo - 2012 Season Updates