Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

How do I get into road racing, time attack?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I get into road racing, time attack?

I just went to my first road course to watch a little drifting at Summit Point Motorsports park in West Virginia. The drifting was cool but they also had a 2 1/2 mile road course. It was a Porshe Club of America event but there were a few Evo's shredding up the pavement. It was the first time I've ever seen such a thing. It was awesome and I wanted so badly to hop in my x and spin a few laps myself but..... Anyway, I used to, and still do, race motocross. Seems similar but how do I get into such a thing. I'm going to do some autocross next month when it starts in my area ( Maryland) but I wana do some road course, time attack style tracks. The Porshe guys said they had to be a member of the PCA. I'm not gonna join because I don't have a Porshe. Is there a club I can join to get started? Where can I learn more please. Even got the "okay" from my wife.

And what would I need to do to my car? 4 point harness? Anything like that? Sorry to sound dumb but, I am. So any info would be great. Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

There are many group around that you can run with. Look into SCCA PDX's (which I believe DC region is putting a few on at summit point this year), NASA has a HPDE (high performance driving) program that you can try. IMG is another group that I believe is running around you.

Just check the track schedule at your closest racetrack and you should see groups that you can run with. Don't shy away from groups like PCA/Mustsng clubs, etc. usually you don't need to be a owner of that type of car. You might need to pay them for a membership but that's required with almost any club.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The most popular group in your area is probably NASA MidAtlantic, which is who I run with. Summit Point is my home track, and NASA has a lot of events there. I'll be running there this month (28-29th) and its always a good time. You can check out my build thread for some links to the orgs web-site and events. Road racing is about the most fun you can legally have, so if you are interested in it, I cannot recommend it enough.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Summit has a lot of Fridays at the Track events which you could hit up for a quick entry into road racing.

Look at this event too. This is for Virginia International Raceway and it's one of the most amazing courses to drive on. Three days for $400 is DIRT CHEAP too. I can't go sadly as I made plans for that weekend and I'm kicking myself over them...
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...05CF206FBE05FC

Most events require some basic road course knowledge before letting you out there. You'll need to understand the road course flags, general procedures, and event structure before getting there. I think I learned all that from a NASA handbook years ago which you can buy from, of course, NASA

You'll find most events have the same general set of requirements. Car that has passed a safety inspection (no bald tires, brake pads with enough thickness, no leaking fluids, etc.), and a helmet with the proper rating (I believe SA2005 or newer).

Here are my recommendations:
- If you're in Northern VA I I would suggest swigning by OG Racing in Ashburn, VA to try out helmets. They have a decent selection and you can see which is comfortable, in your price range, and of course make sure it's rated for road course duty.
- Make sure basic maintenance is kept up. Change your oil, check coolant (flush it if it's been a while), and change your brake fluid. You'll want to put something a bit more heat tolerant (I like Motul 5.1 personally).
- I would recommend picking up a set of brake pads made for the road course as often stock ones don't handle the temps you'll generate on a real track and will start to fade. I personally like Carbotech's but opinions on track pads are a dime a dozen. If you go with Carbotech pads just call them up and tell them what you're doing and they'll give you recommendations. Don't forget to bed the new pads after you install them!
- You don't need aftermarket harness but they are really nice as even though your stock seats may feel snug in daily or spirited driving believe me you will slide around and feel their real mushyness on the track. I tried CG Locks which add on to the stock seat belt to cinch and hold tight the lap belt and those... worked better than stock. An old trick I learned is to set your seat just a bit back from where you would normally sit, pull your chest strap as taugh, tie it in a knot, and then move your seat back forward. A poor man's harness, and it works ok. I actually think it makes me more secure than the CG Locks

Hopefully others will pop in with tips on how to get into this.

Oh, about the harness, I don't think 4-point harnesses are allowed anymore, are they? I know you can't use them in actual racing generally anymore, and must have 6-points I think. You'll want to check on this, HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) might not care about that.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Highly recommend NASAs HPDE 1-4 to get into TT (then PT).

4pts are not allowed in NASA HPDE or TT (same rules) unless specifically for the car. E.g. Schroth 4pt ASM for e30 M3.

Do not run 5-6 pt harness with the stock seats (not legal either).

DOT4 fluid is a must. And track able pads.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aaronshuevox
I just went to my first road course to watch a little drifting at Summit Point Motorsports park in West Virginia. The drifting was cool but they also had a 2 1/2 mile road course. It was a Porshe Club of America event but there were a few Evo's shredding up the pavement. It was the first time I've ever seen such a thing. It was awesome and I wanted so badly to hop in my x and spin a few laps myself but..... Anyway, I used to, and still do, race motocross. Seems similar but how do I get into such a thing. I'm going to do some autocross next month when it starts in my area ( Maryland) but I wana do some road course, time attack style tracks. The Porshe guys said they had to be a member of the PCA. I'm not gonna join because I don't have a Porshe. Is there a club I can join to get started? Where can I learn more please. Even got the "okay" from my wife.

And what would I need to do to my car? 4 point harness? Anything like that? Sorry to sound dumb but, I am. So any info would be great. Thanks.
OP, i was at summit main on Sunday w/PCA and Shenandoah on Saturday w/FATT, so you might have seen my evo there. You should have stopped by and said HI, I could have taken you out for a ride.

To get started all you need is a car in good mechanical condition (meaning no leaks, fresh brake fluid and at least 50% tire tread, pad/rotor life) and an open mind. That is it! The evo is a very capable car in bone stock form.

Go to www.motorsportreg.com and look for DE (driver schools) or HPDE (high performance driving schools) and sign up for an event close to you with any club. PCA, BMWCCA, Trackdaze, SCCA & NASA all have events in your area. You will have to start in beginner with an instructor and work your way up but that is the fun part. If you already have experience like you say you will advance quickly.

I run with all the clubs I mention on a regular basis. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'd be happy to answer them.

Hope to see you out on track.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
The most popular group in your area is probably NASA MidAtlantic, which is who I run with. Summit Point is my home track, and NASA has a lot of events there. I'll be running there this month (28-29th) and its always a good time. You can check out my build thread for some links to the orgs web-site and events. Road racing is about the most fun you can legally have, so if you are interested in it, I cannot recommend it enough.

I woudn't really agree with that. SCCA is huge region in DC.

This is something that always irks me a bit. It seems that alot of the new EVO guys only talk about NASA. The fact is that SCCA has been racing ALOT longer then NASA . And, they are still the premier club racing sanctioning body in the US. They also have a good PDX/TT program that might have fallen behind NASA for the time being but, we will be coming on strong in the future! (This is a tought subject to cover but SCCA was just behind the times in letting un prepared cars race TT's) If you never tried and SCCA event i highly suggest it.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
From a driver education standpoint NASA > SCCA et al.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

it really depends on the region you are in.

I started in NASA years ago and back then their DE program left MUCH to be desired. Clubs like PCA, BMWCCA, Trackdaze & SCCA had much better instruction.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

I agree that NASA is doing a pretty darn good job! But, i also saw more wrecks in the 1 NASA HPDE 3 event then i've seen in years of TT's and track days with other groups. Some people think its crazy to have beginners on track with very lenient open passing rules and a huge variety of skill level.

Its a choice just like any choice on where to spend your money. I just don't want people to think that NASA is the only game in town.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
I woudn't really agree with that. SCCA is huge region in DC.

This is something that always irks me a bit. It seems that alot of the new EVO guys only talk about NASA. The fact is that SCCA has been racing ALOT longer then NASA . And, they are still the premier club racing sanctioning body in the US. They also have a good PDX/TT program that might have fallen behind NASA for the time being but, we will be coming on strong in the future! (This is a tought subject to cover but SCCA was just behind the times in letting un prepared cars race TT's) If you never tried and SCCA event i highly suggest it.
I didn't say SCCA isn't good, just that the most popular group in the area is NASA. I don't think thats inaccurate if you look at the event numbers, especially for tracks like Summit. NASA it also extremely different depending on region. Some regions are much stricter about passing rules, and moving people up through the ranks etc, some less so. There are things I like and dislike about NASA, but from a TT/TA perspective getting a NASA TT license is pretty straightforward going through DE and will be accepted with any other group in the US.

Lots of cool groups out there you can run with from PCA, BMW, SCCA, NASA etc. The only one I run track days with is NASA so I cannot speak to the others. I do really enjoy the PCA Potomac autox events though. Really nice folks.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Any track event is a good start. Just you have to start doing it. First time ever i wouldnt worry about anything. Only thing you should care is your car proper maintenance before you going to the track event.
after two or three events you will get a much broader idea about what you need and what do you want.

A have been testing my car an evo track event, and it was quiet good. So you might look around here ,and find EVo guys going on track and going with them for a first time.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Apr 3, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronshuevox
The Porshe guys said they had to be a member of the PCA. I'm not gonna join because I don't have a Porshe. Is there a club I can join to get started? Where can I learn more please. Even got the "okay" from my wife.
If you just want to get your feet wet you might want to try one of these:
http://www.summitpointfatt.com/

I had pretty good luck with instructors there (few years ago, though), plus you get some wet skidpad time in one of their training cars. Summit Main is a good track to start on because there aren't as many turns to remember, and when you are starting out, simpler is better

I think everything else has been covered.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can manage a drive out to Gingerman Raceway in Western Michigan, we have a track day set up where you'll see a lot of Evos out there. There is no membership requirement, we just have an anti-douche policy for safety reasons

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...vopalooza.html

I know it's quite a stretch for you to drive all the way out there, wouldn't blame you for passing on that offer BUT, at the same time it is a great track for beginners. I've only been to the track once but that one time I went there were varying skill levels and of the 3 cars that went off track, none of them were damaged. Only turf buildup in the wheels
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Smike
Highly recommend NASAs HPDE 1-4 to get into TT (then PT).

4pts are not allowed in NASA HPDE or TT (same rules) unless specifically for the car. E.g. Schroth 4pt ASM for e30 M3.

Do not run 5-6 pt harness with the stock seats (not legal either).

DOT4 fluid is a must. And track able pads.
^ Agree with Smike. High temp fluids and track pads are the only neccessary mods to an Evo to start tracking with. IF you take to it quickly and start to find a groove, you will destroy general all-season type tires pretty quickly.

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
I agree that NASA is doing a pretty darn good job! But, i also saw more wrecks in the 1 NASA HPDE 3 event then i've seen in years of TT's and track days with other groups. Some people think its crazy to have beginners on track with very lenient open passing rules and a huge variety of skill level.

Its a choice just like any choice on where to spend your money. I just don't want people to think that NASA is the only game in town.
Well if it was HPDE 3 that is not open passing. Point by's are required, but passing is allowed anywhere with a point-by. And there should be no begginers in an HPDE3 session. That said, DE2 and 3 are the hairy ones. Going solo and then learning to drive side by side in places you never did before. Both activities bring risk. NASA does a good job of trying to minimize it, but it can't be eliminated.

Quick Reply: How do I get into road racing, time attack?