Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Preventative Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Preventative Maintenance

I am ordering some minor things for the evo so I don't run into issues while at the track like T-bolt clamps and a new 02 housing bolt which need to be replaced. I was curious what you guys thought of heat wrap on the stock exhaust manifold? I don't know if is better to let the heat escape or keep it contained? Also what oil do you guys recommend using? I was told 10w-40 should be better for protection due to a heavier oil holding up better to heat. I was looking into Amsoil as a brand. How about an upper radiator hose? Stainless or silicone? Any other suggestions besides fresh fluids, tires, and brakes?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The T-Bolt clamps are a good idea. I've had a UICP hose blow off on track, it sucks.

Been running the stock radiator hoses on track for 2 years. Just checked them and still in good shape.

On the manifold wrap, I have no idea.

Oil, that is a real can of worms. You want a motor oil with high Zinc content (ZDDP) and good film strength, as well as resistance to heat breakdown. I run racing oil, Valvoline VR1 synthetic 20w-50. But my car is no longer a DD at all. I also change it after every track weekend.

Have you changed your driveline fluids?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
no need for header wrap on stock manifold. just use the stock heat shield.

T-bolts are good.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Bring as many spares as you can manage to haul. My totes have gotten heavier and heavier and each time I try to think I can leave this or that at home....I need it...or someone else does. Extra clamps, extra vac fittings/caps, and zip ties seem to be the most used. Stock manifold I took all the heavy shields off and rely on my high flow fan in front of the radiator to cool all that down. Fluids wise I use Amsoil everything, the debate between 30, 40, and 50 weight goes on forever. For brand new engines or super low miles i'd say 40, other then that 50. Rad hoses i'm still on the original hoses and my 2nd radiator. Basically anything you think shouldn't break, will break at the track so just go in with that mindset and prepare as best you can.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's an old thread on this exact subject worth reading over:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...cked-evos.html