Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

NASA MidOhio, April 14-15 2012 Recap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
NASA MidOhio, April 14-15 2012 Recap

This past week I got all the fluids changed, alignment done, winter storage dust blown off, new front caliper boots and seals, and fresh TeamTech harnesses installed to prep the car for the 2012 NASA season. I got it all done and packed up later than I was planning (which is normal for me) and headed out for MidOhio Friday afternoon around 2PM.

I pulled in to MidO about 7pm Friday night and unloaded the car, then went over my pre-race checklist so I wouldn't have to rush in the morning. Over the winter I made my own lexan windows and was a little worried about the rear door windows blowing out at speed. The plan was to take it nice and easy during the first Saturday warm-up session just to make sure they stay intact. Well . . . that plan changed Saturday morning. . .

Saturday morning the track was a bit damp in spots and day-long rain was on the horizon and could arrive at any time. The TT director decided that the first session may be our only dry-ish one, so we were going to count it for times rather than use it as a practice/warm-up. I was a bit worried about not getting an easy shake-down run after the car sat all winter.

I lined up in grid about 8 spots back from the front. On the out lap I tried to pay attention to the rear door windows, grip of the track, where there was water, where there was oil (two cars oiled down HALF the track on Friday), etc. It was really slick in some spots but totally dry in others. We got the green flag and I switched to kill mode. Normally I hammer it for two laps then pit, but for this session I started at 75% and slowly pushed each corner harder and harder as the track got faster and faster. I stayed out the entire session and I think I ran my best lap near the end of the session - in traffic.

I ended up busting out a 1:36 on the longer Club Course. That was good for 1st overall in TT with the next closest car over 2 SECONDS back. Shortly thereafter the skies opened up and the rain fell. None of the top cars got any faster throughout the day so my 1st session time took the win in TTU and fastest in TT overall.

Sunday looked to be the opposite of Saturday. It started off damp and got faster and faster as the day went on.

S1 - I skipped the 1st session because it was still pretty wet.

S2 - I went out first in line with Danny Popp right behind me. I could pull him on the straights, but he was on my *** through the corners. I drove pretty sloppy because I was constantly watching him in my rear-view mirror. I improved by about a second over Saturday's time with a 1:35, but Danny Popp laid down a 1:33. I knew I had to pick it up big time next session!

S3 - This time I got to follow Todd (he and Danny co-drove Todd's Vette). I pushed a bit harder through the T2/3 complex trying to find the limits of grip. I also cleaned up the back section a bit. I picked up 1.5 seconds to a 1:34.0. Getting there, but still not fast enough!

S4 - I decided it was time to put on my "FAST" tires Danny and Todd had been having gearbox issues all day so even though Todd was lined up in Grid1 and I was Grid2, as I asked him if I may be able to jump in front of him on the out-lap just in case he had more trouble. He was very gratious and said no problem. So now, with a couple laps of completely clear track I put my foot to the floor and pushed the limits of my aero and my *****. I knew I had to get it done this session. I found out that I could carry TONS of speed through the 2/3 complex, and also ran fast and clean through the section between Madness and Thunder Valley. I only ran 2 hot laps and my buddy said he heard them announce a 1:33.something on one of them. I needed a 1:33.4 to jump into first I think. I was nervous, pacing around, waiting and waiting for them to post up the results . . . 1:31.9 and into the lead in TTU!!!!! (TTU club-course track record is 1:31.38)

S5 - I decided to sit out and watch. Turns out none of the TTU contenders ran S5, so I had the win locked in.

This is going to be a TOUGH season. Once Todd and Danny get the gearbox issues sorted it's going to take every bit of luck and skill to keep up with them. I think to win TTU Nationals this year it's going to take a 1:26, so I need to pick up 3-4 seconds over what I ran at Nats last fall. With the upcoming built motor and the abilty to then push the CBRD BBK-Full turbo for all it's worth I'm hoping for good results!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A club-course 1:31x is freakin nuts; congrats man!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Hell yeah! Congrats Jarrod!

I was out there Friday when not 1 but 4 cars oiled down the track in different spots. And two of those driving whilst oiling track for half of track (new to HPDE...one was in Comp School with us). 65 bags of oil dry was used. 7-9 was hosed...literally. Had to coast in 7, over 8, then scrub off the oil in 9 before getting reasonable traction back in turn 10.

I watched a few sessions that I sat out. Was a blast watching Jarrod fly down the front straight into 1 with the Vette right behind him.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats! That really is the way to represent the community.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Which "fast" tires?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the recap! Sounds like TTU is going to be a blast to compete in this season fo you. Awesome way to start the season.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Which "fast" tires?
Just a fresher set of the same A6s on wider wheels. I've found that my 10" wheels are faster even though they are heavier than my 9.5s...
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice job!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Nice job Jarrod, videos coming?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

I just looked over my vids and they are pretty crappy. I did not record my fast run, and the others I got have a lot of wind noise. It was a gusty day and seems like every time the car was going slow in cross wind it sounds like crap, but at 150mph it sounds fine . . . go figure!

If I can put together a decent one, you want in car normal angle, or on top of car wide angle? The in-car is higher rez and has better sound but amplifies the horrible wind-noise in spots. . . so be warned. . .

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Apr 16, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:27 AM
Evolving Member

Either is fine for me, I can watch in mute

However for the sake of honesty, I will tell you that I'm trying to learn Mid-Ohio for a trip to nationals this year. And I'm in TTU. Not that I'll be competitive, but just so you know.