Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

NASA@Autobahn

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NASA@Autobahn

I thought i'd start a thread since i see we have 4 Evom Evo's signed for this event.

I have a few questions myself. Where are you guys staying for this event? I'm debating on staying at the track or getting a room nearby. Also, I plan on arriving around 4 or 5 on friday and am wondering where a good place to pit at Autobahn is?

Nathan, I will also offer up any help you need for crewing your race. I kno you will have a lot on your plate if that's going to be your first race green flag.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Apr 16, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

I had originally planned on staying at the track, but since the weather forecast is calling for lows in the 30's I'm opting for Red Roof Inn. Off season rates are still fairly good right now.

For paddock spots at Autobahn it's all about getting there early. Guess that is why I end up having to walk 10 miles every weekend there. Bringing a bicycle helps a bunch if you get stuck paddocking a ways away.

Let's hope for dry weather!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good point about the weather Jeff. I usually camp at Autobahn, but last year it was hell. Friday night was tons of blowing wind and we slept with the covers over are head in a ball ALL night at 43 degrees I think. Sat rained and when it started sleeting at 2pm I booked a hotel and a hot shower and left (was 1st in my TT class at the time).

So with those memories... I might be getting a hotel! Actually if it's going to be lower than 43 at night, I gaurantee I'll be at a hotel.
Edit: I just booked the Comfort Inn South after seeing the forecasted lows in the 30's! I stayed at that Red Roof Inn before; woke up every 2 hours to check on my car!

Jeremy, sure I'll take some help! I'm usually pretty damn self-reliable but who knows how the first 'real' w2w weekend will go. Hopefully I can get the car into the shop Friday (got some emails out) and it'll be ready to go. I'll keep ya'll posted here...

As for paddock spot, I'll be there early (at least with the truck) Friday as I'm signed up to run part of the 3hr Enduro on Friday. We usually go for the grass by the N track, but that's mostly for when we camp and that might not be needed.

Last edited by boomn29; Apr 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I will be there Friday evening probably around 6pm. Nathan, if you can try to save me a spot close to you that would be sweet. I'll also help out with anything you need during your race.

I just got the Holiday Inn Joliet Confernce Center on Priceline name your own price thing for $45 per night. It's 2.5 stars. Just pick Joliet, 2.5 stars and bid $45 and you should get it. Also, you could probably get a cheaper place (2 stars) for about $30-$35 per night in Joliet through priceline.

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Apr 16, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

If we could paddock all the EVOs together that would be pretty sweet. Anyone have an "EVO Parking Only" sign
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the tip on hotel! I've never used priceline before but i liked that deal. I can't remember the last time i paid that little for a room.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
Thanks for the tip on hotel! I've never used priceline before but i liked that deal. I can't remember the last time i paid that little for a room.
I've stayed at the Red Roof Inn before... eek. Outside entry hotels bother me. But the Comfort Inn I booked it just down the road a little.

Btw, the schedule is up:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwIf...HM/edit?pli=1#
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

I got a really nice Fairfield Inn this past weekend in Mansfield for $35 on priceline. Regular price was about $100.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Planning to get to Autobahn around 3pm on Friday. I'll stake out a spot the best I can but I probably won't have the Evo as I'll be dropping it off some some maintenance earlier in the day.
I'm co-driving a Porsche 944 in the 3hr Enduro that's scheduled from 4:30 - 7:30. My stint in the 2nd half. It's a car I've never seen, and it's actually a brand new build that has not been testing and is still AT the shop as I write this. The owner is a guy I've yet to personally meet as well. So, we'll hope for all good things...

Then Sat/Sun is just the normal NASA full weekend! Right now I'm signed up for ST2 with a total of 8 cars I think. Plans are to race ST2 both days, but I might pop into TT instead if there's any doubts about the car or if the TTA/TTS entries rise.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

We need MORE people in TTU/TTR. Between the two classes there are only 4 people registered. Not enough to win tires even if we combined classes
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

I was planning to go to this event and just realized its this weekend. I think i am a little late, but at the same time dont know exactly how it all works.

I wanted to go for HPDE Sat/Sun

Is it too late to sign up at track, or even possible?

I know online is closed for reg. at this point.

Also, since i have ran this track before a few times will i still have to start in HPDE 1 & 2 with instructor, or can i just go on my own?

Any info would be great, as i have tried to contact some people for reg. and none have gotten back tome.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by qwertymess
I was planning to go to this event and just realized its this weekend. I think i am a little late, but at the same time dont know exactly how it all works.

I wanted to go for HPDE Sat/Sun

Is it too late to sign up at track, or even possible?

I know online is closed for reg. at this point.

Also, since i have ran this track before a few times will i still have to start in HPDE 1 & 2 with instructor, or can i just go on my own?

Any info would be great, as i have tried to contact some people for reg. and none have gotten back tome.
Online reg. is closed, and since there's an Endurance race tomorrow at 4:30pm sanctioned by NASA, I'm sure they are already in 'GO' mode.

You can register at the track, assuming your specific rungroup isn't full. I did this once last year, and you just head directly to the NASA trailer as soon as you get there and either ask for Lynda or say 'I need to register!'.

Where you start at in HPDE depends on your experience and if you've ran with NASA before. Once you're in the HPDE program, you obtain sign-offs from instructors to move up the ranks.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Five registered in TTS at this point.

I won't be rolling in until around 6:00am Saturday morning. Save me a spot if there is room, otherwise I'll probably end up way out where I'm usually at.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racer145
Five registered in TTS at this point.

I won't be rolling in until around 6:00am Saturday morning. Save me a spot if there is room, otherwise I'll probably end up way out where I'm usually at.
I'll try. I'll shoot ya an email if I remember. Still debating on camping; tax man really reemed us this year...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Jeff, I'll try to save you a spot too. Look for Nathan's or my rig and at least one of us should have a spot for ya!

Quick Reply: NASA@Autobahn