Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA Solo San Diego National Tour/El Toro ProSolo 4/27-29 & 5/4-6

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wd4me
that sucks man, sorry.

you'all hear that Mark Smith's hauler burnt to the ground? sounds like the saved the trailer/car but damn...
ouch that sucks.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:10 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
Well...my codriver had a pretty good shot at winning SM at the Pro, even on old, worn out tires, until we destroyed the front diff this afternoon and ended our weekend. Oh well, so it goes...
That sucked to hear. Gonna get it back together quick?
Old May 7, 2012, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
That sucked to hear. Gonna get it back together quick?
Hopefully... First order of business is to get it apart and see what all is broken. I've got a good idea where I'm gonna get the replacement though.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My girlfriend and her dad showed up Saturday to watch and he shot some exterior video. Here's my best right side launch. RT: .529, 60ft: 1.860

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmCdHvOScBE&hd=1
Old May 8, 2012, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
here's my sunday run.
http://youtu.be/GmiQj2wZIR4

can anyone see my .5sec mistake?
The start.
Old May 8, 2012, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
The start.
actually that wasn't too bad, it was the forever coasting into the turn around trying to figure out how to downshift.
Old May 8, 2012, 03:36 PM
EvoM Guru

actually that wasn't too bad, it was the forever coasting into the turn around trying to figure out how to downshift.
Haha, I was watching it thinking did he cross the finish .

On a side note, no wonder they call the "Berry Mobile" a hoosier factory. Am I getting this right, 7 tires won this weekend? You guys are beasts! Nothing like watching a car make a 700/900 setup seem soft.
Old May 8, 2012, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Haha, I was watching it thinking did he cross the finish .

On a side note, no wonder they call the "Berry Mobile" a hoosier factory. Am I getting this right, 7 tires won this weekend? You guys are beasts! Nothing like watching a car make a 700/900 setup seem soft.
LOL! 9 actually. But we really need them after I flat spotted a set through the finish on the left course. I think I left about 200 bucks worth of rubber out there on 1 run. oops.
It's definitely a team effort.

Last edited by griceiv; May 8, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Well if you need someone to dump some of that flat spotted "junk" on, I'm still playing with different setups ad could take em off your hands
Old May 8, 2012, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Oh i didn't watch it with sound. Sucks missing a shift though!

PS car looks great!
Old May 8, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
LOL! 9 actually. But we really need them after I flat spotted a set through the finish on the left course. I think I left about 200 bucks worth of rubber out there on 1 run. oops.
It's definitely a team effort.
9 is quite a haul!! Contratulations. Have you ever gone back and added up all the tires you guys have won since Tom got the EVO? It has to be over 100! I think the most I ever saw come from a weekend was 4-5 years back in Tracey Ramsey's what was it - a DP MR2 I believe. I think at one event I saw him/others run it in 3 classes (plus ladies) and come away with something like 12 Hoosiers. Andy, Valerie and I ran my car in 3 classes at a National Tour (SM, XP, XPL) one time and came away with 6 Hoosiers. Great weekend!!

The Hoosier Contingency is in some ways better and in some ways not as good with NASA TT as it is for SCCA Solo2/ProSolo. You get 2 tires for a class win at a regional race (similar to National Tour or ProSolo or Divisional Championship), but you also get just 2 tires for a NASA TT National Championship whereas you would get 4 for a Solo2 or ProSolo National Championship or a ProSolo Bonus Challenge win.

Overall I like the NASA contingency better I think, as one person can come away from a weekend with 4 tires if you are fortunate enough to win your class Sat and Sun and have enough people in your class. Regardless - the Hoosier Tire Contingency is, IMHO, the best in the business for BOTH sanctioning bodies.

I know I occasionally start to get a big head and feel "entitled to" free tires when I do well, and I have to take a step back and remind myself just how fortunate we are to have a company like Hoosier step up to the plate to support simple amateur weekend warriors like us. It truly is a great thing.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Well if you need someone to dump some of that flat spotted "junk" on, I'm still playing with different setups ad could take em off your hands
They don't have grooves on them anymore, I don't think free would even be worth the money.

I've heard people call the car the 'hoosier tire vending machine' but I call it the 'hoosier tire cookie monster' with the way it munches up tires. just smashing them into it's mouth with crumbs flying everywhere! Tires are the magic fuel that makes it so much fun....just barely ahead of the clutch for most dollars spent per lap.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:27 AM

We really enjoyed competing against you and the Barry clan the last two weeks. I think that we learned a lot but have a ways to go. Hopefully aaron will be with us the next time we meet.

Frank
Old May 9, 2012, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flmjr
We really enjoyed competing against you and the Barry clan the last two weeks. I think that we learned a lot but have a ways to go. Hopefully aaron will be with us the next time we meet.

Frank
Likewise. Hopefully you didn't steal all our secrets!
Old May 10, 2012, 11:21 AM

I made a lot of mental notes that I need to document. You have gone the opposite direction on some items than what we have.

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo San Diego National Tour/El Toro ProSolo 4/27-29 & 5/4-6