Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Transfer cases and front diffs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We also had a spare T-Case to swap out when things went bad... what we didn't have was a spare transmission, which cracked at the NJ Pro last year when we got some funky driveline/wheel hop on the launch on Sunday AM.

Never had a ring/pinion failure, but at Nats in 10' the R/P was so worn that people were asking if we had straight-cut gears in the trans. It would bind so much that you couldn't even push the car with 2 people, it just wouldn't roll.

I'll be watching you guys from the sidelines this year but I'm afraid ASP is going to keep getting smaller. It's a shame, but at least the car will land on it's feet in SM.

Corey Ridgick
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CoreyR
We also had a spare T-Case to swap out when things went bad... what we didn't have was a spare transmission, which cracked at the NJ Pro last year when we got some funky driveline/wheel hop on the launch on Sunday AM.

Never had a ring/pinion failure, but at Nats in 10' the R/P was so worn that people were asking if we had straight-cut gears in the trans. It would bind so much that you couldn't even push the car with 2 people, it just wouldn't roll.

I'll be watching you guys from the sidelines this year but I'm afraid ASP is going to keep getting smaller. It's a shame, but at least the car will land on it's feet in SM.

Corey Ridgick
Corey, I was sad to hear you wouldn't be making a return visit this year. You put on a great show lsat year. Really, the whole class is full of great competitors. As you said, its a shame it's continuing to diminish. Hopefully, with the addition of the porches and continued success of the kappas the class and car will remain healthy.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

I have a wave trac and can tell a huge difference over stock, of course my car is an 8 that had an open diff before.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok the difference from what I've learned so far between the Wavetrac and the Quaife is the lsd locking characteristics.

The Wavetrac is designed for maximum lock even under no load and at slow speeds the Wavetrac will lock. This is good for snow/ice/off road conditions with low traction and is also well suitable for road race/auto-x/time attack/drag. Wavetrack also uses a gear system instead of pressure disc so it will last longer as well.

Quaife is a more "forgiving" lock preload and doesn't engage until more aggressive driving is happening. It is set to slip just right for higher speed courses and is more geared towards road race/auto-x/time attack/drag on tarmac. Quaife uses disc plates for the lsd lock so it will eventually wear out sooner than the Wavetrac will. Its also a more expensive unit, but its better for paved track racing.

Ultimately it comes down to what style of driving you want to do as was said before. Hope this helps you guys out. I personally will be going with a Wavetrac and am gonna get a HD Ring and Pinion set to rebuild my diff myself.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would do a TRE over Shep. Specially when dealing with a road race car
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by apagan01
I would do a TRE over Shep. Specially when dealing with a road race car

thats funny cause all we do is road race and i wouldnt use anything but shep

i dealt with TRE one time and the wait/communication was terrible so i decided to never use them again. and the tranny we eventually got from them wasnt very good anyway.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by griceiv
i'm not sure preloading the drivetrain is really going to make a huge difference. you're still going from essentially no load to a crap ton of load in a very short period of time and I think there are just material limits to how many 1.7s 60' times you can get out of the drive train. I think the real killer is wheel hop (or really just motor hop). We have a strict 'push in the clutch' policy if you botch the launch and start to get wheel hop. It doesn't happen very often launching off the two step, but it's a PITA to get it right consistently doing a 'manual' launch.

preloading the drivetrain makes a huge difference. when you don't, stuff explodes (and by explode, i mean bye bye tranny and TC). we've had several failures from people who didn't preload the gears. and preloading the gears has yielded 1.3 60ft times in our drag cars.