Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Hillclimbs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Jeremy, what are your plans for next year? I am planning 3 hill climbs.

Mt Ascutney
Chase of the dragon
And if they will have it as a rumor say it Mt Washington
if not then probably something close to me.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob - any links to those events and/or locations and dates?

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the mitsu in 2013, thinking a little bit of traveling might be in order.

Dave
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
Rob - any links to those events and/or locations and dates?

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the mitsu in 2013, thinking a little bit of traveling might be in order.

Dave
yes Dave this is awesome news, I am waiting for the Mt Washington hillclimb confirmation. That would be the No1 destination for you for sure.

Mt Washington over 7 miles, ( Vermont Sports car part of Rally America , home of david Higgins etc)
http://www.climbtotheclouds.com/

Mt Ascutney and Okemo both over 3 miles, held by two different organization. Here is the main club NEHA:
http://www.hillclimb.org/forum/viewf...bc30f0755e1f11

Chase of the Dragon over 2 miles (SCCA):
http://www.dragonhillclimb.com/

These are my favorite Hills. But Jeremy can chip in here.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 22, 2012 at 04:04 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

I think Rob pointed some very good hills.

You pretty much have 4 groups running hills in the US (tarmac events). The NEHA http://hillclimb.org/, PHA http://pahillclimb.net/ , NHA http://www.nhahillclimb.org/ and the CCR of the SCCA. (which runs Chasing the Dragon). Both the PHA and the CCR run under the SCCA. NEHA runs its own show as does NHA. From what i have seen and heard over the years they all are very good putting on events. I can attest to the quality of safety that goes into the SCCA events.

If there is an event that i and many others think is the best on the east coast in would be Duryea in Reading, PA. (PHA) The course is a great mix of technical and some high speed (test your nerves) parts. It attracts a few thousand spectators and is really turning into THE premier hillclimb on the east coast IMO. Its 2.5 miles and has sold out for the past 3 years with 100 entries. A bunch of the New England guys have come down to run the hill and would agree that its one of the better hills to run. From what i've been told the NE hills are much more Rally/bumpy like. We get a bunch of sports racers and formula cars on the SCCA events because of the quality of the roads we run.

Second i'd rate the Chasing the dragon Hillclimb to be the potential for the next best. The folks down south are really doing good things with this hill and will get this hill on the top of many racers list very soon. It is still very new and really could use the support of racers to get it to a level it needs, and should be at.

Then you have events like Giants Despair. It has as much history as Pikes Peak and MW and was actually used by Ford and Chevy back in the day for testing. The names that have run the hill are simply amazing. It reeks of motorsports history in the US. It also use to attract 100,000 spectators and still is one of the rowdiest crowds i've seen at an event with a 3000+ spectators. (kinda scary actually). But, IMO its not really a hill that i love. Its only 6 or 7 turns and is pretty much a drag race with a tuff section in the middle and then a huge 21% incline to the finish. All about HP! In fact the hill record is a Lola turbo buick indy car.

Not sure if that helps! lol. My top hills to run would be MW, PP, Duryea, Chasing the dragon and probably Polish Mtn. The dates haven't been finslized but the PHA schedule will be all the same weekends as last year. They pretty much run every other weekend from the start date. Chasing the dragon looks to be mid June and August.

Rob, i havnt figures out what i am doing yet. I have sent in my app for PP but i'm actually reconsidering doing it . (if even accepted). Going over the logistics of the event and the cost just makes me wonder if i really need to do this yet. I will run MW if they run it! If i don't do PP i think i'd hit the Chasing the dragon, Duryea and maybe just run a few more TT's thru the season.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Nov 24, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:35 AM
Evolved Member

Don't forget Burke Mt. The nicest pavement of all the North East hillclimbs. Sweet run with great switch backs.
Bye the way I just checked Mt Washington's weather station and winds are peaking near 110mph, zero visibility and the temperature is zero with a -38 degree windchill ! You would die if you attemped to climb near the summit this morning... I hiked it 4 times this summer when wind gust were near 70mph.

Last edited by apex electric; Nov 25, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

I think the all the hills up in the north east are really good and technical. We just seem to get more of those guys to come down to Pa then head up there. Although, that is because they have told a few folks they couldn't run because of their cars safety. A lot of the hillclimb specials and formula cars do not meet their cage rules from what I've been told.

I've spent a few nights sleeping on that mtn in the winter and talk about cold, Brrrr!

I have also heard that we might see another hill back on the schedule this year in the south. I'm not sure if Crow Mtn will return as that hill or not. That was the hill that Rich Shafer (founder of cool shirt) passed away on 2 or 3 years ago. He was a huge supporter of hillclimbing and was a terrible loss for the sport.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Nov 25, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a good page on some of the history and groups.
http://www.crowmountainhillclimb.org/about/history/

I have always thought it kind of funny that Pikes Peak has claimed to be the oldest motorsports event next to the Indy. Well, just look at the dates and Mt Washington and Giants despair are older.

I have seen a whole presentation on the Giant, and its truly amazing to see. Pikes peak and MW both have the same. Truly, the roots of car racing!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a cool video game course that someone made of Duryea. Its pretty darn accurate.

And a rally car on it.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Nov 27, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

I go on that hill if you do it, just let me know in time please
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel

Second i'd rate the Chasing the dragon Hillclimb to be the potential for the next best. The folks down south are really doing good things with this hill and will get this hill on the top of many racers list very soon. It is still very new and really could use the support of racers to get it to a level it needs, and should be at.
We have had the Cup car up to the Dragon the first year and it was a blast, Cory drove the wheels off that thing and I believe still has the record.

Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

yes he still does.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

for hillclimbers a little candy
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

That is amazing! I really like the formula cars on the hills. I've always been pretty interested in giving them a go someday. You can actually get some pretty good cars for a good price.

I can't wait to see one on PP. The guy with the Turbo buick Indy car will hopefully make it soon. He was sending the car to Colorado for a tune last summer and said it will then be around 1600hp.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

my friend race open wheeler, and he usually beats higher HP open wheelers in HC. Mainly because the traction problem. Low speed they have a lesser grip. Plus it is unpredictable surface adds and extra spice to it for the high HP open wheelers.. according to him

here is more:

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 4, 2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Traction is huge in hillclimbs. I was able to win the 2009 PHA overall championship against the formula and sports racers because I could beat them on the tighter courses. But, I had no chance on the faster/smoother courses. I was able to keep close at least. .

I caught a lot of **** from them for having a "cheater car" along the way. AWD is king in tight hillclimbs.

I think a car like the palatov is the ultimate hillclimb car. AWD sports racer FTW!

Quick Reply: Hillclimbs