Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Will 24oz fluid be enough for brake flush?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will 24oz fluid be enough for brake flush?

Hi guys,
Just got my amsoil in the mail. I thought I was ordering 2 quarts but only two bottles 0f 12oz each came in the mail. I'm putting on new ss lines and doing a flush before my first race. Do you think 24oz will be enough for the job or should I get some more?
Thanks!
Damon
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I generally like to get a liter of fluid to do a complete brake and clutch hydraulic system flush & bleed. You should probably get another bottle just to be on the safe side.

24oz would be enough for a regular flush, but changing out the lines introduces a lot of air into the system. You could always do the initial flush/bleed with generic parts store DOT4, then do the final bleeding with your Amsoil DOT4. That would be a lot less $$$ in wasted fluid.

Last edited by Kracka; Jun 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Thats all the brake fluid you have, (2) 12oz bottles? What happens if you screw something up? What if you boil your fluid in your race? Someone who races should probably know this by now. Btw, who do you race with and what class?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quick question regarding fluid flushes. What is everyone using to speed up the job? Pressure bleeder, vacuum bleeder, or the old fashioned way?

Sorry to skew the discussion, I just didn't want to open a whole new thread lol.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I just did this. Doing a full flush and changing just the front to SS lines since i was being lazy used up an entire can of ATE...maybe 3 teaspoonfuls left. Granted i probably ran more fluid than i had to since i didnt bleed the clutch, which in turn tinted the new fluid a tad blue from the old stuff, but yeah...id keep more than a liter on hand.

I use a motive power bleeder. best tool ever IMHO.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I do my yearly full flush I'll go through nearly 2 - 12oz bottles. I could use less but order this stuff by the case so I'm plentiful with the flush process.

I have a Motive Power Bleeder which works great when I'm alone. But I prefer having someone pump the pedal honestly, and it uses a lot less fluid that way. It's also nice to have them confirm the pedal is 'hard'.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:39 PM

@bueller, my back ground is in solo2. In August I will be running Sebring raceway with chin Motorsports. I'm also looking forward to palm beac and homestead.

I'm going to be grabbing a few bottles of motul this weekend in Miami. I will probably use that as the first flush and have the amsoil on hand if I need it.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:42 PM

I guess it's not actually a race, but a track day.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

I keep 3 liters available. Just incase the reservoir runs dry and you need to start over again or if you decide to bleed the clutch also. I'm not sure how the previous Evos are but the 10 has the brake and clutch in the same reservoir so it makes sense to bleed both at the same time.
Stick a hose in the reservoir and syphon out as much old fluid as possible before you start bleeding.
The two man method works best if you have someone looking for a leg workout. If not the motive bleeder works. I learned how to bleed my brakes from a race shop who uses it and loves it as a backup to the two man method. Pump to 12psi and check it after each brake.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by michael knight
@bueller, my back ground is in solo2. In August I will be running Sebring raceway with chin Motorsports. I'm also looking forward to palm beac and homestead.

I'm going to be grabbing a few bottles of motul this weekend in Miami. I will probably use that as the first flush and have the amsoil on hand if I need it.
Dont waste money on expensive fluid to flush.

Originally Posted by michael knight
I guess it's not actually a race, but a track day.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:07 PM

Thank you for mentiong that about the clutch, I did not know that. I love the learning process for new cars.
I'll have this stuff down soon enough.
The constructive help is greatly appreciated!